RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Snake shot data?

Snake shot data?

Anybody have data for snake shot for 44 mag revolver? I would like to use HP 38 or H 110 powder I have on hand if anyone has ever worked up some loads using either of these powders I would like to hear from you.
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

Boolit Grand Master

Speer sells plastic shotshell capsules for the .44 Magnum. Using .44 Magnum brass and a capsule full of shot (the finer the better - my preference is #12) ahead of 6.0 grs of HP-38 (or 231) will give you 1061 fps and will shred a snakes head at close range.

Dale53

Boolit Master

As Dale states, use the HP-38. The H110 is not the proper powder for that application.

Boolit Buddy
    I load 4.5 gr BE in the case then seat a gas check on the powder then fill with #9 shot then crimp a gas check upside down over the load. This load has taken many rattlers up to 5 ft diamond backs with no problems . One shot per customer was the norm except on the five footer as he moved just as I shot. I believe this was Elmers recipe IIRC.

I used Speer shot capsules filled with #10 shot over acharge of SR-7625. Out of a 7-1/2" Redhawk I would guess the effectiverange was maybe out to ten feet. I remember past 15 ft or so the shot wouldonly perforate one side of a pop can. I believe the capsules were supplied witha load data sheet.

There is a good article in Castpics by Bob Lasar, check it out.

In Remembrance

3gr. BE will kill snakes at 10 ft..I use styrofoam take out tray wads for over powder and over shot using a 223 case to seat wads. #9 shot works for me. heavier powder charge tends to blow a hole in the shot pattern. I glue the shot wad in with tub and tile caulk.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've taken about a dozen rattlers with the Speer capsules in 38/357. As said above and in Speer's own data, #12 shot is best, but it can be hard to locate. Those tiny spheres don't retain velocity well at all, and slower is better when it comes to patterning. Past 15 feet, pattern is thinned out too much for effectiveness or reliability. In reality, these loads double the distance a shovel can dispatch a snake at.

If the offending reptile is not in dry brush or around other flammables, a lit road flare rolled past them or extended toward them will prompt a strike, which results in an immediate end to hostilities. DRT. I had a 3-section PVC pipe set that slipped together (4-foot lengths) like a pack rod, with the flare seated in one end.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    Speer sells plastic shotshell capsules for the .44 Magnum. Using .44 Magnum brass and a capsule full of shot (the finer the better - my preference is #12) ahead of 6.0 grs of HP-38 (or 231) will give you 1061 fps and will shred a snakes head at close range.

Dale53
    DITTO! This is good advice.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by s mac View Post
    There is a good article in Castpics by Bob Lasar, check it out.
    where exactly do I find this? I have looked in the castpic of the month thread and don't see it am I in the wrong place?
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

Boolit Master

Midsouth has them in stock. www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/000218782/44_Caliber_Shot_Capsules_25_Count_
    There's load data on the box, put a mild roll crimp on them but not too much or they'll shatter. Might loose one or two to get the crimp right, but you don't want them backing out under recoil. They work really well, I use the capsules for barn rats!

Boolit Buddy
    ? On road flare thing. I have never read that/seen that technique. So they strike the flame and cook themselves? Wild

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by 45fan View Post
    Anybody have data for snake shot for 44 mag revolver? I would like to use HP 38 or H 110 powder I have on hand if anyone has ever worked up some loads using either of these powders I would like to hear from you.
    If you plan on using the SPEER shot capsules, get more than you need. When you need/want them those are no where to be found. ALWAYS trim your brass to the same length....ON ALL OF THE CASES. Once your roll crimp is put in place on the plastic shot capsule it'll always be the same. If you don't the greater the risk of cracking the capsule from over stress.

Work with the data on the box and NEVER exceed the charge weight, faster is not better in this case.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Quote Originally Posted by 45fan View Post
    where exactly do I find this? I have looked in the castpic of the month thread and don't see it am I in the wrong place?
    Sorry, I don't know how to put up the link, but Castpics is found at the bottom of every page, once there go to reloader's reference.

Quote Originally Posted by s mac View Post
    Sorry, I don't know how to put up the link, but Castpics is found at the bottom of every page, once there go to reloader's reference.

Got it,thanks s mac.

Boolit Master

Materials :

357 Max cases , trimmed .010 below specs. & sized in 357 die.
    222 rem size die
    sp mag primer
    cards cut from cereal boxes(I use a 357mag case with notches cut in the mouth/primer pocket drilled out to push the 5 cut cards out spun with a lee case trimmer holder)

Step1
    anneal cases just enuff to discolor brass (to much & the cases stik in the chamber)

2: size the 357max case to the shoulder of the 222rem sizer.( A note here :the sized case in this stage probably WILL NOT chamber & final asm. of the round ,rollin the mouth will apply more sizing. My suggestion is to asm. 1 or 2 rounds to ensure they chamber)

3: 4-5grs. of fast handgun/shotgun powder then a card , tamp down tite (more room for shot)

4: add shot to 1/16" of case mouth(shot size is subjective, larger kills farther with sparser patterns, smaller makes denser patterns/kills faster, but does`nt kill as far. #9 is a good balance of both, I`ve tried from 11 to 6 in the swamps of the Waccamaw River.)

5:cover the shot with a card , be sure it`s completely below the mouth

6:run the prepared case up into the shoulder portion of the 222rem die enuff to put a small/slight roll on the mouth of the case & seal it with waterproof carpenters glue, a drop or 2 will be enuf & toothpick it around to all sides.

7: This may be the hardest step, let the glue set up for 24hrs. before firing or you`ll have a mess in the bore.

Notes :

This load has proven very effective to 12ft. or so glueing snakes where they lay, no squirmin , just ded !
    This payload is almost twice ya can get into a blue capsule & is more than ya can get into a 357 homemade shell
    IF you have trouble chambering trim the case another .020" & retry chambers vary .
    Patterns are even denser with snubbies(my thoughts are the riflin has less spin affect)

The top 1 is 357 max , lower 357 mag, I hope ya can see the roll on the mouth . If ya put a good roll then seal ya can carry all 6 loaded without fear of blowing the cards out of the ends & losing your shot/tying up the gun.

Just wanted to add: I shoot these from 357 magnum revolvers with a cyl length of 1.600"

Have fun , Be safe !!

1 more pic:

GP
    Last edited by GP100man; 11-12-2014 at 02:16 AM. Reason: additions
    GP100man

Boolit Buddy

I tested many loads before writing the article for Castpics. Every load was tested for accuracy and effectiveness including a few live vermin. The easiest to load, and the most effective load, was the Speer shot capsule with a moderate powder charge. Number 12 shot was the best. The round ball loads worked, but I always worried about ricochets with it. Bob Lasar (shooter2)

Boolit Buddy
    I load 139 grains of #9 shot in the Speer shot capsules in 44 Special cases. I've killed bucket loads of Prairie Rattlers with them. They are really overkill for my uses. I also use 22 LR and 22 WRM CCI loads and handload 38 Specials with 110 grains of #9 shot.

I now use Power Pistol in the 44, used to use Unique. Your HP38 will be fine --- try to keep it under/around 1000 fps for the best patterns. If you don't crimp reasonably heavily; the capsule will walk out of the brass and tie up your cylinder. Yep, I've broken a couple --- but I've loaded many 100s.

Speer uses #12 in the 22 LR but always used #11 in the 22 WRM. They say they can't get #11 any more and went to #12. They use #9 in 38s and 44s and recommend this size as the best to still get a reasonable pattern and to preserve killing power at max shot shell range. Prairie Rattlers, at least, die easy. One piece of #9 shot in the head will usually do it so dense patterns aren't a requirement, but it must penetrate.

Both #9 and #12 ricochet badly off of hard surfaces but #9 is more dangerous. Wearing protective eyewear could save a lot of heartache.

GP100 --- Unless I missed it, I don't see how many grains of shot you stuff into that 357 Max case. How many???
    Last edited by Larry in MT; 11-14-2014 at 03:13 PM.

I read an article in Handloader about making the loads similar to GP100's Method (not using the Maximum Brass though). He used a Gas Check seated over the powder and then an inverted one over the shot before rolling the crimp.

I might just have to give this a try.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Shot View Post
    I read an article in Handloader about making the loads similar to GP100's Method (not using the Maximum Brass though). He used a Gas Check seated over the powder and then an inverted one over the shot before rolling the crimp.

I might just have to give this a try.
    I did this years ago with the .44 magnum case. The only issues were leading in the bbl, and lousy shot pellet pattern that I attributed to the rifling. When I went to the Speer shotshell capsuls, those problems went away.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!