RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data

Thread: lead retrieval

Boolit Bub

lead retrieval

So, this was my first big PC fail.

nice rack, great overspray recovery, fits the oven perfect.

one spray, one bake, now useless

any one have ideas to get the bullets outta the aluminum tubes
    so I can at least get the lead back?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141006_195029.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	118439

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

you can melt the lead out of the alum or use acetone to remove the PC just soak it. If it was me I would just melt it down and skim off the tubes.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

Press them off with a Lee size die.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by meicalnissyen View Post
    So, this was my first big PC fail.

nice rack, great overspray recovery, fits the oven perfect.

one spray, one bake, now useless

any one have ideas to get the bullets outta the aluminum tubes
    so I can at least get the lead back?
    kinda hard to see whats going on in the picture but it looks like they are powder coated to the tray is that correct ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    Press them off with a Lee size die.
    +1 on this idea. This is what I would try, you need to size them any way. That is how I get my 312-155's out when I put them nose into cut off 300 BO shells to shield the noses when PCing.

Boolit Bub
    Good Luck getting them out, push through sizer sounds like it will work if you can get them off the screen.

Next batch try ESPCing them on your screen and using non stick alum. foil or parchment paper and a baking sheet and invert them and bake them standing on their bases, after removing from the tubes of coarse, that way you don't bake your tube fixtures and the screen and have good conductivity for doing more.

I still have a pyrex baking dish I'm hiding from the wife that I used to cook my first batch of PC, "nothing sticks to pyrex, it will work" wrong, it now has 50 9mm boolits glued to it.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I had to scrub that picture thru Photoshop to even see it. It is almost completely dark and upside down! Now that I can actually see what is going on:

My 1st question is: Why are you putting them nose down in those little tubes???????????????? Set them on the bases on NSAF and spray like most of us do to get perfect coats. Coating the base does absolutely nothing to protect against gas cutting! If that is the problem and reason you are trying to coat the bottoms, use GC'd boolit molds and apply Cu GC's.

2nd question: Why are you spraying on an unprotected rack? The PC will build up and insulate the rack from the boolits after a few goes and you will have to throw the rack away and make a new one. NSAF is much cheaper and I get at least 4-5 batches out of the same piece of foil before the "flash" starts building up on the bottoms.

Your coat looks good.

Just break them off the rack, throw them all back into the pot to re-melt. The Al tubes will float on the surface and you can scoop them off. The PC will float also and scoop it out.

Cast some more boolits and spray as I suggested above and you will have perfect slugs!

bangerjim

Boolit Bub
    The push thru sounds good, if the the ram is less than .490

I'd do the acetone hing first, if, I had been careful about my OAL on the tubes. I wasn't. Had I been, it might,? be possible to salvage the jig using nsrw on top of the tubes and pusing the bore ride dia thru the foil

as is, ill break the tubes off the screen, and try to push thru should be good enough to plink with

@banger, this was my first fixture from months ago, many batches since then

sorry about the lousy pic, black is tough to meter
    Last edited by Bodine; 10-08-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: language

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ipijohn View Post
    +1 on this idea. This is what I would try, you need to size them any way. That is how I get my 312-155's out when I put them nose into cut off 300 BO shells to shield the noses when PCing.

So, unfortunately the push thru won't work, there are far to many JB weld goobers for the ram to get started

that was about a $35 fail

One the plus side my beagle inspired trays are great