RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The fallacy of blind brand loyalty

Boolit Master
    I've never understood Harley's. It's gotta be emotionally driven because I can't see anything rational about them.
    There's no real performance for the cost and size of the engine. There's certainly no economy.
    Style is subjective but the same exact style can be had in a Honda Shadow for example for a third of the cost and you'll have performance and longevity exponentially.

One of my all time favorite bikes was a VMax. Smooth as a sewing machine, not bad on gas if you stayed out of the throttle but oh God if you did get into it, it will set the asphalt on fire. All with very little maintenance.

Banned
    No trolling, just observations. I respect the views of intelligent people even when those views don't mesh with my views. Now if you're just an idiot and don't know why you parrot someone else's view.......then I may be a little harsh.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks a lot like trolling to me.

Boolit Grand Master

Who here owns or wants to own a high end Sharps rifle?

The Sharps is a 150 year old design firing obsolete cartridges. With so many more modern designs and modern cartridges why would anyone want a Sharps?

Whether it’s a Sharps or HD the answer is the same. It’s not all about the latest and greatest. It’s about the overall enjoyment of the experience.

HD has done a very good marketing job on portraying the image and sound of a HD as status symbol of prestige for a lifestyle.

Like the Sharps it’s just another toy for adult boys.

When I was younger I was all about the latest and greatest. Now I enjoy my Sharps, Trapdoors, Colt Old Army's and HD’s far more than the latest greatest wonder boomers or rice burners.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-09-2014 at 12:41 AM.

Boolit Master

I understand the Harley thing. If it's not a Harley, it just not a Harley. Most of the Harley guys I know readily admit that other makes have better performance, but there's just something about a Harley. I can do without the condescending superiority complex a few of them have, but otherwise to each their own.

My grandfather rode Harleys and Indians in the '20s and '30s, and my dad rode a Harley for cheap transportation in the late '50s and '60s.

I never could afford a Harley. I had an old KZ650 for a while, then an old XS11, but I realized one day that I'm just not a die-hard biker and never will be. I really enjoy a nice cruise in the country on a warm day with a cool breeze, but other than that it's four wheels for me.

Added: M-Tecs - well said!

Boolit Master
    I had a 1977 Shovel Head (Super Glide)

I spent more time working on it than I did riding it. It reminded me of owning a Volkswagen Beetle. If you weren't a good at wrenching, or much of a mechanic that iron Harley Davidson would have taught you to become one, or you would give up on it from sheer frustration. Sadly this was not an uncommon story amongst my friends who also rode Harley's. I had a neighbor with a Pan/Shovel combo that was worse than mine for amount of time spent on the kitchen table.

I've ridden motorcycles for many years. From dirt bikes to street bikes, American, Italian and Japanese bikes included. I don't think I would buy another Harley Davidson today for what you get, or what they ask for them now. I Think My 77 Shovel is worth twice what I sold her for today though... In the gun world it's counterpart would likely be a Colt.

Hate to say it, but these days I ride a Suzuki.

- Bullwolf

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

With apologies to Harley-Davidson owners.....

"Harley-Davidson..... converting gasoline to noise for over XX years, WITHOUT the annoying side-effect of horsepower".
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan28 View Post
    Yep. HD outsells all other motorcycles in this country by a long way for a reason. It isn't because everyone is looking for a whiz-bang OHC 4 or 6 cylinder motorcycle.

And their bikes are certainly competitive on price as well, to say otherwise is to simply not be paying attention. The bikes that actually compete with them are comparable in cost or even more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by xs11jack View Post
    I think is the first thread anywhere that H-D is dissected so calmly, with no bad mouthing, snarling, and other nasty things said.
    Ole Jack
    I guess you haven't read Petrol's posts
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of the Presidency represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H.L. Mencken Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the Public with the Public's money". Alexis de Tocqueville 1835

Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post

now for the meat of the matter ( or maybe what really matters lolz ) ask a bunch of women which they prefer to ride on the back of .....
    Like a friend once said" Riding the back of a Harley is like watching a poorly focused slideshow"
    Cap'n Morgan

now for the meat of the matter ( or maybe what really matters lolz ) ask a bunch of women which they prefer to ride on the back of .....[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of the guy who wanted to get a H-D and the wife said NO.
    So he got one any way and changed the name on it to "Big Johnson" And she hoped right on!

I have had Hondas and now a Triumph Bonneville. I have nothing against HD's other than I can't afford one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Boolit Master
    i am 51 and as a kid i knew there were safer /faster/cheaper to run/more reliable/better handling bikes.
    but old harleys and indians are the epitome of cool.
    if i had the money my dream bike would be from the 30s or 40s.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Archey View Post
    I have had Hondas and now a Triumph Bonneville. I have nothing against HD's other than I can't afford one.
    My opinion, no bike looks classier than a Bonneville. Mine handles real nice and is surprisingly quick. Also doesn't make a bunch of obnoxious noise.

I could afford a Harley if I wanted one, I just don't want one. Seems the only models of Harley I like are the ones they seem apologetic for making, i.e., water cooled or the now discontinued XR1200.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    With apologies to Harley-Davidson owners.....

"Harley-Davidson..... converting gasoline to noise for over XX years, WITHOUT the annoying side-effect of horsepower".
    /\ If you don't mind, I like to use that line in the future. It captures my view of HD fairly well.

Banned
    There's nothing wrong with buying what you want as long as you understand what you're buying.
    If you're seeking that particular style offered by a HD, great.
    If you what to join that HD culture, have at it.

I work with a guy that rode his HD across the U.S., east to west and back....twice and then some. He openly acknowledges the faults of the design but he wanted a Harley and nothing else would do. It was the only type of bike acceptable to him and he went into that purchase with both eyes open. He understood what he was getting into and I respect that.

Boolit Master

So the purpose of your thread would be to protect us un-informed and uneducated idiots from ourselves. Seems to be a popular trend these days.

Banned
    I too have owned a couple bikes a triump tigercub was my first followed by a bsa and then a Norton commando finally a fxr hd which I bought brand new in 85 still have that one still ride it too when the traffic isn't too bad. I have been run off the road a few times by people who either don't care to stop or are just mean. First rule of riding you have to learn to dodge em if not you will end up as a spot on the road. I like to ride and I enjoy my Harley but I enjoy riding them all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    So the purpose of your thread would be to protect us un-informed and uneducated idiots from ourselves. Seems to be a popular trend these days.
    I don't think you need protecting. Just wanted to discuss the HD effect.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan28 View Post
    Same here.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.