MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 1 picatinny

Boolit Buddy

Ruger 1 picatinny

I have a 243 Ruger 1B. Problem, as many seem to have, is the eye relief of my scope isn't enough for the mounts. I looked at offset Ruger rings but right now they're scarce as hen's teeth. So I came across this:

Ruger Number One Scope Mount - Slip Over Weaver Picatinny Style

http://www.eabco.com/store/ruger-num...catinny-style/

Anybody have an experience with this? How stable is it? Pros/cons?

Thanks,
    David

Hi David,

There's also these: http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/1982

but I don't have any experience with either the EABCO or the Weaver products. My choice on my Ruger No. 1 rifles is to get scopes with more eye relief. I'm leery of the adaptors.

Good luck, Tom

Boolit Buddy

Thank you Tom. Those are certainly cheaper. Anybody with experience with either?

Thanks,

Boolit Master
    Don't waste your money on the ruger extension rings. If you're like me they won't give you enough set back so you get a good sight picture on my #1 in 45/70. You might want to google steve earl who make a picatinny rail system for the #1. I'm getting one when I get the money. That and the ruger buttstock in my experience is really set up for iron sights. Can't get a good cheek weld. Frank

Boolit Buddy

Thanks Frank, another option.

David

Boolit Mold
    Been looking at that same mount, using a scope with a lot of eye relief now. Had good luck with EABCO in the past, good company. Joe

Boolit Master
    On my .405 and .45/70 I use a Leupold VX-3 1.5X5 .With the Ruger offset rings it has plenty of eye relief.The Leupold scopes tend to have better eye relief than some.

I'm a big fan of Leupold scopes, and the VX-3 1.5-5x and VX-3 2.5-8x are the best variable power big game scopes out there. However, if the OP is using his 243 for a varmint rifle, they won't have enough magnification for him.

BTW, I've gravitated away from all variable scopes, as my guns eventually shoot them to pieces. Leupold fixes them, but the failures never seem to occur at convenient times.

Take care, Tom

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Scopes use multiple lens stacks to minimize transmission error. Each stack is considered a lens group in the literature. This movement can never be perfect in terms of transmitting red&green&blue light simultaneously, and that is why "sweet spots" appear at various lens settings where the distortion is almost zero. For this reason, target scopes typically only allow focusing the cross hairs only at a fixed power, and some also allow focusing on the target as well. Newer designs are switching this whole attribute gradually from the scope's front plane (input) toward it's back plane (output). The very best scope to date that I have used is the Nikon fixed 3 power, where the focus is fixed at 100 yards and the transmission is modified at the rear plane. This scope transmits 98 percent light and the clarity is exceptional. Prolly making exquisite use of plastic lens because the price is so cheap. Have no idea how long the scope will last when constantly moving the crosshairs. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    However, if the OP is using his 243 for a varmint rifle, they won't have enough magnification for him.
    Varmint and target is correct. I have a 6-24 scope. I have to climb the stock a bit to get a good sight picture. I haven't tried it prone or sitting on the ground but it's probably good for that as is. Bench and standing? Not so much.

Right now I'm leaning toward the offset Ruger rings though I doubt they'd completely fix the problem. It would be some what better. I think.

David

I talked to the folks at EGW (Evolution Gun Works in PA) They will have new rails available for the no. 1 shortly, and will have them with a + 20MOA option as well. they make rails for most bolt guns and semi-autos, have been at it for sometime and do great work...

Quote Originally Posted by slam45 View Post
    I talked to the folks at EGW (Evolution Gun Works in PA) They will have new rails available for the no. 1 shortly, and will have them with a + 20MOA option as well. they make rails for most bolt guns and semi-autos, have been at it for sometime and do great work...
    slam45: did EGW quote a lead time for production? Nothing showing on their website yet. I carved my own out of a picatinny blank (aluminum) but initial shooting on my "#2" indicates it needs more drop at the front end. The other approach would be to find a slightly taller set of offset rings. And we will see if the AIM scope is up to the pounding of the 45-70. I am also going to run a test run with a zero power red dot holographic sight.

Attachment 95534

re EGW rails

the email i got from them said 2 to 3 weeks from first week of February... they had sent the first production run out for finish coating... will list on their site when they have them back

BUMP - 5 months later, nothing on eabco's website.

I have a couple of the new EGW rails on my bench at work. They are currently available and look very nice.

-Nobade

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I have a couple of the new EGW rails on my bench at work. They are currently available and look very nice.

-Nobade
    Any chance you could share a couple of pictures, maybe before and after?

DougF

Quote Originally Posted by kitsap View Post
    Any chance you could share a couple of pictures, maybe before and after?

DougF
    Sure, once the barrel for the #1 comes back from being rebored. I talked to them today and they said about two more weeks, then I will need to get it chambered and installed. So if I can remember to do it, I'll shoot a couple of pics.

-Nobade

Boolit Buddy
    I put up with this same problem on my Ruger #1 in 45/70 for several years before I finally got tired of climbing the stock in order to get a decent sight picture through the 4X Weaver that was mounted with standard Ruger rings. The solution I settled on was a new Bushnell Banner 3X9X40 scope with 6" eye relief mounted using a standard Ruger rear ring and an offset Ruger front ring. This setup works perfectly and allows me to have a clear, full view through the scope without any 'climbing' up the stock. Considering the fact that the Bushnell was not an expensive scope (less than $80 from Optics Planet) I had my doubts about how well it would hold up under the recoil from heavy 45/70 loads in the relatively light Ruger #1. But after running over 250 rounds through the rifle since mounting that scope, I've seen no change in the scope whatsoever so I'm hoping that this is a fair indication that it's going to keep working for the foreseeable future. I understand that Leupold has scopes with similar specs so if you'd prefer a scope with a far longer and more illustrious history of being able to stand up under severe recoil, I suspect you'd prefer to purchase one of those. But as I'm sure you're aware, you'll pay a much higher price for such as scope. In my case, at age 76, actually I was around 73 when I got the scope, I'm well satisfied with my purchase and I'm looking forward to it lasting me for whatever number of years I've got left to shoot paper when my arthritis allows me to get out to the range.

sleeper1428

Boolit Man
    A picatinny rail on a No.1? Sorry, all I can think of is "yuck".

i have a #1 45-70 and it is scoped. i do not see the problem with the scope where it is as it {the scope ... leo 2.5 - 7 X } has plenty of eye relief and when i desire to need the higher magnification ... i do choke up on the stock ... but i have plenty of time in those instances to move my mug up a bit to get a god full scope picture at the higher magnification.

also i do not agree with the premis that the buttstock is designed for the open sights ... rather my rifle shoots way better for me with the scope in place ... i have the open sights regulated and ready if something should happen to the scope but ... it sure shoots a ton better in the fit and recoil dept when shooting thru a scope sight.