RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lee has fixed the primer problem with Loadmaster presses

I've never used one before but I have read much with great interest about the Lee press. I believe there must be something lacking in the design for so many to post how much they hate it. If they invested time and money to improve what could be wrong and the cost to the customer was about 100 bucks more it would still be a bargain.

Boolit Mold
    If you, as a manufacturer, sell all you can you make, and you don't mind putting your name on it at whatever performance level it achieves, I wouldn't expect much to change. That mind set is a pure business position. Hence guys like me who offer some relief to those who struggle with their purchase. Unfortunately, it also takes some of the pressure off Lee to make improvements. However, if you own the market as the low cost provider there isn't much upside to entering into the high end market where your return on investment is substantially less in relation to your expended efforts and costs.
    mike

Boolit Master
    This has turned into quite a long thread. The current production primer fixtures are reliable. I thought the originals were reliable so long as short strokes were avoided. The revision versions in between the originals and the current were DISASTERS! One necessary maintenance feature that is paramount to avoiding priming issues that has not been addressed in this long thread is the need to empty the spent primer collection system (the inside of the ram tube) often. Once it gets about half full, that nasty primer grit and dirt bounces up into the primer well and tilts the primer pin on the way up and binds it on the way down. About the only significant mod I have made is to adapt Lee's Classic Turret spent primer collection tube to the Load Master. BINGO, it stays clean and keeps on keeping on. I load 5 pistol and 2 rifle calibers on my LM with no problems. Changing dies and shell plates is quick and easy and provides good opportunity to clean and lube the press.

prs

The new primer assembly works great for me. I think changing my powder measure to RCBS uniflow with case activated powder die also helped. I never could get the lee to completely stop spilling powder. The powder ends up getting in the shell holder slots and wont let the case properly line up to primer pin. The powder also will get down to the shelf where the primer pin rests and causes it to tilt and hang up.
    With the RCBS, the press stays powder free. I have been using this setup for a couple of years and my primer problems have disappeared.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uniflow.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	110415

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hughes View Post
    The new primer assembly works great for me. I think changing my powder measure to RCBS uniflow with case activated powder die also helped. I never could get the lee to completely stop spilling powder. The powder ends up getting in the shell holder slots and wont let the case properly line up to primer pin. The powder also will get down to the shelf where the primer pin rests and causes it to tilt and hang up.
    With the RCBS, the press stays powder free. I have been using this setup for a couple of years and my primer problems have disappeared.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uniflow.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	110415
    I actually sent it back and put my lee classic turret back up. The loadmaster was working overall ok, but i was having issues with smashing primers and auto index was giving me issues. GOt to the point where the damn thing would not index and the indexing rod was jamming. The priming system's new design works well (had only a couple rounds without primers), but given the fact that powder is hard to come by now, I'd hate to waste any of it. Plus, the whole thing of priming on the upstroke was a bad idea on Lee's part. The force it takes to size, seat, bell, and taper crimp while seating a primer makes it too easy to smash the primer even if you're being careful. I figure that I'm happy with my turret has to offer. It's not as fast as a progressive, but I've never had a reject round that was missing any components. Plus, it can also be used to size my cast bullets. I did a quick reloading session last night and loaded some 9mm self defense rounds. Loaded 100 in 22 min. Wasn't even rushing. And the nice thing, like i said, there were no reject rounds that needed pulled. I'll hold off till I get this full time police job that I have coming. After that, maybe a couple paychecks in, I'll scoop up the dillon 650 and give them a try. IN fairness, I didn't given Dillon a fair shake. Plus, I hated the whole manual indexing on the 550b

Boolit Master
    Plus, the whole thing of priming on the upstroke was a bad idea on Lee's part. The force it takes to size, seat, bell, and taper crimp while seating a primer makes it too easy to smash the primer even if you're being careful.
    +1...I totally agree! I went back to my Lee 1000 and couldn't be happier.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master
    I actually purchased one of my Loadmasters from a guy who was using it to reload 45 ACP. He had been having issues with the priming system and finally gave up on it I paid $150 for it and got a bunch of extras with it. Including 10k pcs brass extra primers, Boolits, etc.
    After setting it up. I replaced the entire priming system parts with new parts from LEE, and a new slider bar. I think I paid about $25. parts and shipping. Other than basic maintenance and cleaning I haven't had any real issues with it.
    Just like some of the people here, the guy who gave mine up just got frustrated and walked away from a fixable issue. I have since loaded somewhere in the neighborhood of 10k rounds. I know its that many cause i'm out of brass
    Last edited by Blanco; 07-16-2014 at 10:36 PM.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Buddy
    Blanco, I had almost the same experience with one of my 5 LM's.... It also was in 45 ACP and the previous owner indicated that the priming system was not reliable... When the press was delivered I gave it a good cleaning, replaced the entire priming system with spares that I all ready had on hand and within 2 hours I had it running... now if it has any issues it is operator induced..

The press was so new that Lee replaced all of the priming system parts that I had used to make the repair for free under warrantee ... Now if I can find one more LM press from someone who is not willing to take the time to understand how it operates I will have a press dedicated to every cal. I currently produce.

Boolit Master
    I'm always on the lookout for a good deal. When it comes to a used Loadmaster the price has to be right because a new one is not very expensive. Most of what I see is someone who bought one and thought reloading would be a neat hobby. After looking at the monetary commitment not to mention having to deal with component availability and rising cost a lot of people get cold feet real quick. Those types usually want all the money back out of their equipment and it's usually more than a new Loadmaster. I haven't looked lately but back around the first of the year there were some places running the Loadmaster one caliber set up for just over $200
    I keep looking because the supply and availability issues seem to be easing up. I know there will be those that look at store bought ammo and say it just aint worth it. Then they look at the stuff they have and box it back up and try to peddle it.
    Even the ones that have issues don't scare me, Short of a broken frame or ram. Just gotta find the right deal.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Been through 1 Lee progressive, 1 lee turret, 2 Dillons and went back to an RCBS Rock Chucker for everything I load for. Not a super fast system, but any problems are something I did wrong. Usually needing to clean dies or press.

Cheers

seabreeze
    What is important in life? Things....or Honor/ integrity/Service and Humility?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Beesdad View Post
    Blanco, I had almost the same experience with one of my 5 LM's.... It also was in 45 ACP and the previous owner indicated that the priming system was not reliable... When the press was delivered I gave it a good cleaning, replaced the entire priming system with spares that I all ready had on hand and within 2 hours I had it running... now if it has any issues it is operator induced..

The press was so new that Lee replaced all of the priming system parts that I had used to make the repair for free under warrantee ... Now if I can find one more LM press from someone who is not willing to take the time to understand how it operates I will have a press dedicated to every cal. I currently produce.
    I understood how the press operated, it was just the indexing rod was a huge issue. The priming system fed primers fine, but like i said, the whole thing of priming while the other stages are being performed was a bad idea. My indexing flipper part was not catching on the "rib" portion of the press. I adjusted the position of the ram by loosening the bolt on bottom of press and messed with it for hours. It just wouldn't reliably catch and sometimes the whole indexing system would jam. The press is a very simple design that I really like, but this issue was too annoying to deal with. I may buy another down the road to try my luck again. The best press Lee has ever created is the classic turret press.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by jris211 View Post
    I actually sent it back and put my lee classic turret back up. The loadmaster was working overall ok, but i was having issues with smashing primers and auto index was giving me issues. GOt to the point where the damn thing would not index and the indexing rod was jamming. The priming system's new design works well (had only a couple rounds without primers), but given the fact that powder is hard to come by now, I'd hate to waste any of it. Plus, the whole thing of priming on the upstroke was a bad idea on Lee's part. The force it takes to size, seat, bell, and taper crimp while seating a primer makes it too easy to smash the primer even if you're being careful. I figure that I'm happy with my turret has to offer. It's not as fast as a progressive, but I've never had a reject round that was missing any components. Plus, it can also be used to size my cast bullets. I did a quick reloading session last night and loaded some 9mm self defense rounds. Loaded 100 in 22 min. Wasn't even rushing. And the nice thing, like i said, there were no reject rounds that needed pulled. I'll hold off till I get this full time police job that I have coming. After that, maybe a couple paychecks in, I'll scoop up the dillon 650 and give them a try. IN fairness, I didn't given Dillon a fair shake. Plus, I hated the whole manual indexing on the 550b
    Hate to bring back an old thread, but in case someone may find this info helpful, I'll post it. After having issues with lee pro 1000, lee loadmaster, and dillon 550b, I invested in an rcbs pro 2000 with auto index. Works great. Priming APS system is amazing and the press is solid cast iron. I'm using my lee dies with the uniflow case activation and it's phenomenal. I only had 2 primers sideways; I short stroked the press and that's it. I made around 500 rounds so far and very pleased with it. Plus the $50 rebate is nice too.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly View Post
    It's hard to value the pleasure of using a nice piece of equipment... like my Dillon 550s.

It is easy to recognize the value in knowing I'll be able to sell my used Dillon equipment for more than I paid for it. Probably less than 5 years from now. Even forgetting about the craziness that's going on now. I just sold some of my used stuff, and ordered new from Dillon to replace it! I made a nice windfall... as I can wait the 8 weeks or so for the backlog to work its way out.

Just so you know I am not anti-Lee... I do own a Lee press (the first press I ever bought) and some Lee dies. I will probably still have them when I die... but I don't think they are going up much in value.
    Well, that about covers it...