WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resizing broke my press!

Boolit Man

Resizing broke my press!

I just started casting with a friend a few weekends ago, we've managed to get about 3000 45acp 200 grain bullets made so far with the advice and help from this forum.

Now, we've found another problem. He bought a lee .451 sizer for this 45acp bullets, and he says it's a "damned hard process" and he actually ended up breaking the lever on his Lee single stage attempting to size these bullets. I asked him if he lubed them with alox first, he says it doesn't make that much difference.

He pulled out his caliper, read .454 to .456 on the few he tested. I bought the Lee 6 cavity molds used from a castboolit member. Not sure how used they are, but they definitely aren't pretty. (not complaining, just giving all relevant information).

The alloy is wheel weights, water dropped method to cool. We usually cast the bullets with very hot lead from a lee 20lb furnace set to the highest setting (all we have is large ingots, so this helps them melt faster)

Any ideas?

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I bet it was an O frame challenger press, yes? Very common to break the linkage- midway sells them cheap. The one bad part about that press.

I dunno what to say other than I have sized bullets down 5/1000th before even on a hand press with no issue and didn't find it overly difficult. You might consider taking them down in 2 steps if it is proving difficult- like .454, then .451?

Boolit Master
    That is quite a bit to size down, and unless you size them almost immediately, your water dropping is making them at least TWICE as hard to re size. The BHN, (hardness) of your boolits is most likely going from around 12 for air cooled, to well into the 20's by water dropping. A couple tips if I may, .451" is a little small for a lead boolit in .45, I find .452" much more accurate, and alot less leading. Secondly, and it was hard for me to believe until I tried it, is that a softer boolit will lead less in a .45 acp. The cartridge just doesn't make enough pressure to seal the boolit to the bore well if the boolit is too hard. If you continue to want to water drop, size them as soon as possible, before they get hard. You can see this yourself, size one thats a few days old, and then do one thats just been cast, you will feel a big difference.

Some things:
    1. Sizing them from .456 to .451 (Check it; Lee does often make things smaller than they are supposed to.)
    2. Water-dropping does make the bullets a lot harder, and certainly harder than you need for .45 ACP. Remove that step.
    3. Alox would certainly make them size a little easier, but also the points above are very relevant.
    4. Possibility your friend forgot to Alox the bullets and doesn't want to admit it. Check it.

Boolit Man
    is there any way to anneal the bullets we've already casted to make them softer?

Will a .452 or .453 be all that much easier? what happens if we make them too big, is there such a thing?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyj00 View Post
    is there any way to anneal the bullets we've already casted to make them softer?

Will a .452 or .453 be all that much easier? what happens if we make them too big, is there such a thing?
    Yeah, bake them half an hour on a cookie sheet at 450, turn the oven off, and let cool slowly. Do a very small batch first since your oven may not be that accurate. You want to heat to just below the point they start to melt.

Even a thou can make a noticeable difference in sizing. As long as the loaded cartridges will drop into the chamber, a little oversized does not matter. btw, you can open up the sizer by lubing a four cull bullets with fine valve grinding compound and running them through until they give little resistence.

I'm told that the links for the Loadmaster fit the Challenger and are much heavier duty. Can't vouch for that, but I've seen it mentioned several times as a fix.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Boolit Bub
    I recall reading on another thread where someone recommended putting some sort of heat shield, such as a baking sheet, between the boolits and the oven's heating element while they're baking. It could help prevent melting your boolits.

Boolit Master

If they are unlubed, you can anneal them in an oven.

First place one or two sacrificial bullets in the oven and set the temp on 400.

20 minutes after it reaches 400 check the bullets. Preferably without opening the oven.

If they have slumped or deformed, lower the temperature 25 degrees and put in two new bullets.

Keep decreasing the temp until they do not slump.

If they are fine, raise the temperature 25 degrees.

Keep going up until they slump.

Working this way, you can find the temp at which you need to bake your bullets for 20 minutes.

This method works well for single guys, living alone, who actually know what an oven is.

The rest of us use the method of placing the bullets in something like a Lee 20 pound furnace and cranak up the temperature until they slump. At this point, they are ruined so you might as well crank it up a bit more and recast.

As to can they be too big?

As long as the loaded cartridge will chamber, the lead bullet will swage down to fit the bore.

One of my trapdoors is a 50-70. I need bullets close to .520 for it to fire accurately.

My 45 ACP's are both revolvers and I size to .454 for them.

Hope some of this helps.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    for 45acp...skip the water drop....easier to size, and not likely you need them that hard for a 45acp at low velocity....

mike
    only accurate rifles are interesting

A few thoughts on the issue at hand

1) Everytime I read a post about somebody breaking a press, it turns out to be a Lee press

2) I have sized water quenched 45 bullets in an RCBS press with no problems

3) Water quenching is not needed for handgun loads

5) It always help to bullet a little resizing lube on the first couple of bullets you push through. The size is true when using a lube/size machine as well. I use Imperial Sizing wax for that purpose.

Boolit Master

Yes there is a thing as too big, especially when feeding an auto. If the boolits are too big, it will bulge out the case to the point they will not chamber reliably. I size .452" for my .45ACP, and find it the best fit. My brother gets away with .453" but they are snug in the chambers, and leave no room for fouling.

Boolit Man
    could I just use some sandpaper to grind out the inside of this press 2 thousanths of an inch?
    Now that I'm thinking about it... 1/16" is .063, 63 thousandths, so the difference is pretty small with 2 thousandths.

You mean the die, not the press. There is an article in "Castpics" (http://www.castpics.net/index2.htm) on how to do that. I think Buckshot wrote it. Click on the link above; on the left side of the page, click on "Research and Data", and select "Honing a Size Die'.

Boolit Master
    could I just use some sandpaper to grind out the inside of this press 2 thousanths of an inch?
    Now that I'm thinking about it... 1/16" is .063, 63 thousandths, so the difference is pretty small with 2 thousandths.
    Yes, follow Scroungers link, it's easy to do at home. I have done it to many size dies to get just the size I want. PM me with any Q's on the honing, if you have any.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargar View Post

1) Everytime I read a post about somebody breaking a press, it turns out to be a Lee press
    Been many a C-H Swag-o-matic broken, too.

I broke a Lee Reloader. Paid $10 for it, got 10-15 years use out of it, bought another as soon as I broke the first, and I'll buy another whan I break this one. Think I got the second one free with a manual.

They ain't no Rockchucker, but I got a Rockchucker for when I need it. Got a Reloader for light work and when I want something portable. It ain't much of a press, but it's all I need for sizing pistol brass and bullets, priming, depriming military brass, flaring and charging cases, etc. I don't mind paying $10-$20 every 10-15 years for something that handy.

Many a new reloader is well served by a Challenger kit. Gets them started for under $100 and they can save that in no time. None of it is much good, but it's all good enough to get started with and can be replaced a piece at a time as they get more serious about reloading.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Chargar View Post

2) I have sized water quenched 45 bullets in an RCBS press with no problems

3) Water quenching is not needed for handgun loads

5) It always help to bullet a little resizing lube on the first couple of bullets you push through. The size is true when using a lube/size machine as well. I use Imperial Sizing wax for that purpose.
    This info. out to be a sticky. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

He pulled out his caliper, read .454 to .456 on the few he tested.
    Any chance you could get a micromoeter? Calipers were never meant for accuracy of more than a thousands or so.

The alloy is wheel weights, water dropped method to cool. We usually cast the bullets with very hot lead from a lee 20lb furnace set to the highest setting (all we have is large ingots, so this helps them melt faster) Any ideas?
    Yep, got ideas. Forget the quenching, you do not need it for the 45 ACP and its detrimental to leading, accuracy, velocity. With any luck you have not lubed the 3,000 bullets already cast because you should anneal them. Do not put lubed bullets in the oven, if you do and your married you may find out how expensive a divorce is, at the least how cold the dog house in the back yard is.

Do you have a lead thermometer? If not get one, you need it. Why are you casting so hot? What you'll get by running the pot temp this high is more and faster oxidation, a loss the alloy's constituents via oxidation, a slower casting rate while waiting for both the alloy and the mould to cool. WW should be run at around 700 degrees, possibly a little warmer for your aluminum mould.

The bullets should be sized .001" over slugged groove diameter and no, do not try to use those water dropped bullets as a bore slug, you will have a tough day if you try. My 1911 shoots either .452" or .453" sized air cooled WW very well. Don't size any smaller than slugged groove diameter or expect leading.

If it's not beyond your means get a real press. I know that a lot of people swear by Lee and I'll probably be chastised for that statement but when I read the title of your post the very first thought I had was . . . ah, another Lee press. Has anyone ever heard of a broken RCBS, Redding or Hornady press? Very rare to be sure.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Jason,
    If you cut the WW 50/50 with "pure" lead and water drop they will work great in the .45 auto. I like water dropping as it is very fast for me and less hassle than trying to keep them all on a towel. I would shoot the ones you have and see how they work for you before trying to anneal them.
    The Lee sizer dies I have are very rough inside and can make sizing kinda rough.
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Grand Master
    On the other hand, you must use the right tool for the job. The light Lee presses are not designed for sizing hardened boolits .004" without any lube!

If you had been doing the same thing with a Lyman sizer, you probably would have broken it....I know I have.

Live and learn.......
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Mold
    Let me introduce myself, I am the owner of Houston Bullet Company, and have been casting for about 40 years but commercially for 7 years. I just joined Cast Boolits and find it very interesting. I just do not have a lot of time for the internet.
    The water drop is heat treating the bullets, causing them to be about 4 times harder than slow cooled bullets. If you want them this hard heat them after sizing. Refer to heat treating bullets for more information.
    Last edited by Whiskers46; 01-31-2008 at 04:54 PM.