Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMCD Products
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flattening boolit tips

Boolit Master

Flattening boolit tips

Do any of you flatten or cut off the tips of your boolits to get a nice meplat for hunting?

For instance, a round nose or pointed rifle boolit load you use that shoots well, do you ever file a flat on the nose of a couple of rounds just to use for deer hunting to improve terminal performance?
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Lots of folks do. I think Hanned makes a tool for that. Or you could make a trim die for the boolit; run it up, file off the portion that sticks out the top.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Thanks JS. I do it to mine, was just wondering what the concensus was.

Banned

can't say I do, I usually have the mould that produces a nice meplat.

or in the case of my 311284, I just use it as is.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Yep .. have done so for years. First were the caliber .22 LR R noses that would slip right through everything. Then discovered after the nose is flat to put the Gerber to work and cut a notch about every 90 degrees. No more exits on wabbits or fox.
    Another avenue I went was a ball bearing that centered in RN molds. Bearings force a lead bullet to expand but this is another story.. but do not shoot them againt hardened steel tergets.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Cut an X in the flat part (don't make the flat very big) with a utility razor blade and hammer. Heh, heh.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Banned
    Back in the day before I had the proper moulds I do now.......

For my 30/30 and a 311291 ....I would use a lyman 45 sizer and size the boolit into the die with a normal/fit top punch, then remove the top punch once the boolit was seated into the sizer, then I would use a special flat top punch (deepened/modded 429 tp) and squish a small flat on the boolit. The modded 429 top punch was set to bootom out on the luber so that all was close to consistent. I did not use the setscrew on the TP, just abit of boolit lube to hold them in so that changing them out was instantaneous. It worked quite well until I got PROPER moulds for deer smackin.

Boolit Master
    YES , I have done that several ways. Cut the tip with a sharp knife, turned them in a lathe, used a flat nose top punch to "squish" a flat on the nose. I could never find a bearing that would STAY in the bottom of the mould when I poured in the lead! So I dropped in a measure of pure, THEN followed with a load of harder alloy to make a "soft point" cast bullet that worked very well for me!
    I still occasionally FN a pointy bullet.

Boolit Master

Did it this past season with the Lee 155 gr. .311 boolit. Used a flat nose punch and squished it. It worked well enough on a doe. Now I have a proper fn mould for my 300 blackout but I would do it again if I needed to.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

I'm working up an elk load for my new JES rebore 358 win. Using NOE 360318 RN. I have filed a .240 meplate to see how it changes things.

The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Master

Djones, right there is what I'm talking about!

Super Moderator

I have done it with a file. 7mm 135gr Lyman 287346 out of a 14" T/C Contender.

The other thing I have done is flatten a side on a long J-word for 300 Whisper/Blackout to make it unstable when it hits the target and tumble inside. See spoon nose asymetrical bullets.
    just a little file work to make a dramatic terminal wound
    http://guns.connect.fi/gow/haag3.html
    4.6x30mm H&K - H&K's answer to the 5.7x28mm FN. Based on HK's experimental 4.6x36mm cartridge for the HK36 ACR in the early '70s, even retaining its unique Löffelspitz (spoon-nose) projectile. Like the FN entry, the 4.6x30mm has amazing armor penetration, yet recoils less than a 9x19mm pistol cartridge. The smaller HK projectile appears to gives superior penetration over the FN variant, but this also detracts from the permanent wound cavity. Best against unarmored targets, but can be used against armored.

extream exaggeration of the tip - you don't need that much - just a bit and be consistantly the same on each boolit.

In 1970s military applications of spoon nose bullet was vetoed International Committee of Red Cross, because Loeffelspitz bullets inflicted "at least as horrible wounds as explosive or Dum-Dum projectiles". Germans ceased development of 4.7 mm assault rifle and spoonpointed bullets. Russians designed about in the same time their 5.45 x 40 mm cartridge and bullet with terminal effect similar to German Loeffelspitz bullet, but they managed to hide "intrinsic asymmetricity" into the intact steel jacket by just putting air bubble in nose of bullet.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Artful, your post is very interesting. I have often wondered if a pointed-spitzer type cast boolit could be made to tumble. I can see where the method you mention could induce yaw upon impact.

Boolit Master

I tryed some of the suggestions. Using a flat top punch in the 450 sizer worked real good, nice consistant flat points, easy and quick. Used this method on the Lee TL 312-160 2R boolit for my Ruger Compact in 7.62x39. Nice flat meplat for shooting varmits and deer.

It would be cool to have a flat top punch with a small pointed cone shaped punch in the center to make a small hollow point in the flat meplat.

Boolit Master
    Just .22 but it works-- I like the .358 Win --my personal favorite
    Last edited by GLynn41; 03-23-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: add

Boolit Buddy
    I use the lathe , placing a 30 calibre boolit in a 5/16' collet and parting the nose off with a sharp HSS tool . This process gives a uniform result . The latest tests have been with the 230 grain Lee Blackout boolit .

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...lackout-Boolit

A friend of mine made a jig for his table saw and cut the point off. Never tried it but he said it worked great.
    Trapper

Boolit Master
    Just today I was running some Lee 90368's thru the Lyman 450 (130gr. .309) and gave just a right smart further push down on the lever and flat pointed them with a flat-nose punch. Trying these in 30/30 and being a tube loader and I'm a bit paranoid...! Worked dandy. Audie...the Oldfart..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post

It would be cool to have a flat top punch with a small pointed cone shaped punch in the center to make a small hollow point in the flat meplat.
    I tried using a BB to make a HP in my .357 boolits, but I felt that it moved too much material out to the ogive making a HP WC. One of our members is cutting me new HP pins to try.

Camo