Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deer and a 357

Boolit Grand Master
    not to worry these things happen
    alot of very good stories here I needn't add any of mine
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Well I got my deer tonight a little 6 pointer. I watched 3 of them walk into the corn food plot but they stayed behind some trees. Just before shooting time was up I put the sneak on them. Shot this one quartering away from me with the Savage muzzle loader. Seasons over Friday and I'm not going to be able to go out again. Maybe I'll try the late doe season in the southern part of the state. Still want to shoot one with the 357. But maybe next year.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm sure that seeing that buck drop to the shot made you feel a lot better. Glad to read that you went back out in the field!

Have a look at BruceB's Softpoint Casting Method, and read Bruce's posts through from beginning to end. If/when I hit the deer woods again with my 357 revolvers and castings, I will use a 180 grain round flat-nose gas check design I bought here on a group buy a few years ago; it will be cast as a BBSP; and I will likely run it in excess of 1400 FPS from my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk (7-1/2"). The Bishawk is a BEAST, and such Douglas Wesson-esque loadings won't trouble it a bit. I won't mention the speeds it can safely run Lyman #358156......if it was a film, the rating would be "R" with gratuitous recoil and accuracy.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Good job with the frontstuffer, 161! Pressure's off, give the 686 one more try if you get a chance. Good luck and good hunting!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Glad you got you a deer 161. Don't give up on the .357 though. I've killed 2 with mine. I shot both of mine through both lungs.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master

I killed three deer with a 8"Dan Wesson in .357 before I found out it 'wasnt enough gun' HA! Like most have said shot placement is key. If at all possible I go for a head shot that way 95% of the time when you hit there down for good, no wasted meat either.
    Since I was told that I've lost count of the deer that Dan's gotten for me, some chest shots and head.All we're before I started casting so I used XTP's on most but took 1or 2 with cast lead (Matt's).
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

I'm going to shoot the 686 this year, spend a little more time working up a load.Something in the 180 gr range. And more time scouting deer this spring, summer, fall. I like the gun it's found a home for life.
    Thanks
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Boolit Master
    Not a CB, but this is what happens to a liver hit with a 125JHP. She didn't go far.

Boolit Master
    Don't feel bad. I've had the same thing happen with .30/30 (shot three deer in 15seconds. Couldn't find two, third one had through and through perforation of lungs..170gr Sierra FP @ 2,200fps; ranges ~90yds), .257Roberts (100 and 117gr bullets), .257WbyMag (shards of meat hanging from surronding brush!), .35Rem (200gr Hornady RN, Lots of blood, deer was knocked down, laid for 20seconds, then got up and staggered off.. 200+lb deer with chest hit), and had an elk do the same with a .338/06 (200gr Hornady PtSpt), and my brother shot simultaneously another elk with his .308 w/150gr Partition, and he lost it too! (Wind blowing up canyon at ~15mph that we couldn't feel. Moved bullets ~8-10" to right of where we were aiming- 250yd shot per laser range finder. We both were shooting from rested prone position.

It "happens".... If you shoot enough deer, you'll loose one occasionally. You probably hit just behind the heart. Often the deer will move just as you shoot and you'll miss by 2-3" and it makes a huge difference if you don't hit bone.

I shot a forkhorn with my 270Win, 150gr winchester factory JSP, at a paced off 32 paces.

I had over 2 minutes to line this feller up.

I had a perfectly steady rest (hay bale blind)

I had a perfect shot at the heart. (at that distance, by POA would be only about 1/2" below my POI, if not less....)

deer had stopped to my grunt, and wasn't taking any more steps until it noticed something.

EVERYTHING was perfect.

took the shot, deer ran off and we couldn't find it.... 45min later, it got too dark to find blood, so I came back in the morning.
    Coyotes had cleaned it up that night, and I found the remains.... about 100 yds from the shot.

sometimes things happen.
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

The first deer I shot with a 44 magnum handgun was not hit just right. The deer was close (under 25 yards from a tree stand) and I was trying to aim at the lower chest cavity/heart area; it sure seemed like I had a lot of area to aim at. The shot hit low and almost severed the front leg. Deer can still run far on 3 legs! I quickly grabbed the Marlin 94-44 to drop him running away. I definitely find it useful to practice on a deer silhouette type target just before hunting season!

I killed my first deer this January with my .44 Trapper carbine. While the hit was absolutely fatal (she was down and dead before I could even spot her in the herd), I feel my shot was still just a tad high. It cleanly took out both lungs, but was too close to the spine and tenderloins for my liking. Just an inch lower would be better IMO.

Like I said, this is my only deer, but as quickly as this one expired I see no reason to aim anywhere else on a deer, just a skosh lower next time.

Entrance.

Exit.

Inside. Just a little too high IMO, but certainly effective.

Used a 210gr. Winchester Silvertip handload.

Gratuitous poser pic.

I took this doe on a friend's property, in the pasture behind his house. This is his son with a buck he took last fall in the same pasture, right in the backyard. Just drop 'em and haul 'em into the barn. Awesome rack IMO. I "think" he used a bow, maybe not.

Last edited by rondog; 03-21-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    Rondog you're right a little lower would have been ideal, however like everything in life, ideal is hard to come by lots of times! Nice shot, any way one looks at it though.

Really nice skinning job also, you kept everything nice and clean, it's a heck of a lot better than 80% of the ones usually seen, even by so called pro's.

One thing I might add is this: If you cut off the neck section, and use it in a BIG pot with water, carrots, onions, Cellery, potatoes, small can of corn, whole canned tomatoes (squished by hand), frozen okra cut into 1" pieces, // 2 or 3 bay leaves, pepper, garlic (preferably diced/minced), and some beef suit/fat from a chuck roast or whatever you will have one of the finest soups you will ever in your life consume.
    I have said the above because most people throw the neck away, you've kept it so clean, it would be a shame to waste since it is so good.

For a first kill, you handled it in a perfect fasion, Congratulations.
    Last edited by Changeling; 03-21-2014 at 03:19 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Rondog

Great photo’s. I am going to steal them. I work with some guys that think that shot would be in the center of the lungs and not the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Rondog you're right a little lower would have been ideal, however like everything in life, ideal is hard to come by lots of times! Nice shot, any way one looks at it though.

Really nice skinning job also, you kept everything nice and clean, it's a heck of a lot better than 80% of the ones usually seen, even by so called pro's.

One thing I might add is this: If you cut off the neck section, and use it in a BIG pot with water, carrots, onions, Cellery, potatoes, small can of corn, whole canned tomatoes (squished by hand), frozen okra cut into 1" pieces, // 2 or 3 bay leaves, pepper, garlic (preferably diced/minced), and some beef suit/fat from a chuck roast or whatever you will have one of the finest soups you will ever in your life consume.
    I have said the above because most people throw the neck away, you've kept it so clean, it would be a shame to waste since it is so good.

For a first kill, you handled it in a perfect fasion, Congratulations.
    Thanks! I didn't skin it, since I've never done this before I just helped and learned. My friend has a deer dressing area in his barn with two hoists, water hose, drainage slab, quite the setup. They get depradation permits for his property and run through lots of deer.

I don't remember what happened to the neck, we essentially quartered it and I brought those home and cut it up from there. My back STILL hurts. Next one is going to a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    I killed my first deer this January with my .44 Trapper carbine. While the hit was absolutely fatal (she was down and dead before I could even spot her in the herd), I feel my shot was still just a tad high. It cleanly took out both lungs, but was too close to the spine and tenderloins for my liking. Just an inch lower would be better IMO.
    I have to get me one of those Trappers in .44, have wanted one for years. Had a 30-30 Trapper years ago which I sold because I wanted to go with a different caliber. Just a nice handy carbine. Nice pics.

Sucks when ya loose one, I tracked a bow shot deer for 6 miles once and never found it. Congrats on the smoke pole harvest.

I used 125 gr jhp several times and it always passes through both sides. Sadly I haven't shot one with cast from 357 yet. I go for broadside only with 357.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    Sucks when ya loose one, I tracked a bow shot deer for 6 miles once and never found it. Congrats on the smoke pole harvest.

I used 125 gr jhp several times and it always passes through both sides. Sadly I haven't shot one with cast from 357 yet. I go for broadside only with 357.
    Funny, I only go for the head. One shot, one dead deer. Works every time. I hate wasted meat.

Quote Originally Posted by enoch59 View Post
    Funny, I only go for the head. One shot, one dead deer. Works every time. I hate wasted meat.
    I am in awe of your accuracy and perfection. We can't all be you. I don't want to watch a deer run off with a mangled head so I wouldn't try that outside of 10yards or so. If 4 square inches of rib meat is going to short me I will shoot additional deer.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.