Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on .223 swage dies

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Yes, but asking about this die set or that & trying to price compare them w/o knowing what else you need is sort of worthless?? So one is really comparing systems, not just dies. I already had a heavy duty press, I didn't really need another. BTs dies work great for me & the price a year ago, affordable.
    Again you are absolutely correct. That is why I am even commenting.

Blackmon set is roughly $650 with his press (I think) that does not need an auto ejector. Top that with an adjustable core mold that may cost $200 and I can compete with your package for less.

You comment on, "what else you need"... Nothing really. Even the core mold is not "needed". You can appeal to someone who wants to make their own cores... Good, but I and you however can get cores made to weight for .025 cents (or less)a piece.

The fact that you already have a "Heavy Duty Press" does not even compute. Unless you want to count the fact that your system does not come with a press and costs more.

Look, your option this year is not at the price that you paid in the past. I am not trying to be brand myopic. I am being wallet myopic. If I wanted to pay $1,500-$1,800 on a .223 die set I am contacting Dave Deutsch to make me a seat die and a point form die (to whatever ogive and shank I want) to last me and my great, great, great grand kids a lifetime and buying my cores from Charlie.

Sorry I am just not seeing your point.
    Last edited by Utah Shooter; 02-13-2014 at 02:05 AM.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master

I think that the best "Answer" to the OP's implied question rests with Fredj338's comment concerning a "Systems Approach". Some of the providers have relatively "Closed Systems". This might be applied to my Corbin Press and Dies, or RCE, or Blackmon, or..... While others are more "Open Systems", such as BTSnipers, CH/4D, et.al.. that operate using more conventional presses such as Lee, RCBS, Lyman, etc...

I would advocate that Chuck Walla and others entering the Swaging arena should spend several months educating themselves on how each of the various options operate, inter-operate with others systems components (if they do), and what "Adapters" may be available from system/component providers or third parties.

I have RCBS, Lee, Lyman, Hornady, Corbin, BTSniper, CH/4D, and several other Systems/Components. Each was bought based on a Cost/Utility/Availability basis, and with rare exceptions I was pleased with each and every component purchased. We are fortunate in that few providers in the Shooting Sports offer poor quality products, for they are rapidly outed for poor quality. Study the products and tailor your purchases to those that meet your needs, no need to bash a Manufacturer or Vendor because one provides a better fit solution for your needs than another. It's a big tent gun show, and all are welcome to compete with their products.

Best wishes to Chuck Walla in his research. Find a product and start making Boolits and Bullets. Welcome to the learning journey, keep asking questions, and share your results and knowledge. We are all better served when that occurs.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    I think that the best "Answer" to the OP's implied question rests with Fredj338's comment concerning a "Systems Approach". Some of the providers have relatively "Closed Systems". This might be applied to my Corbin Press and Dies, or RCE, or Blackmon, or..... While others are more "Open Systems", such as BTSnipers, CH/4D, et.al.. that operate using more conventional presses such as Lee, RCBS, Lyman, etc...
    I would advocate that Chuck Walla and others entering the Swaging arena should spend several months educating themselves on how each of the various options operate, inter-operate with others systems components (if they do), and what "Adapters" may be available from system/component providers or third parties.

I have RCBS, Lee, Lyman, Hornady, Corbin, BTSniper, CH/4D, and several other Systems/Components. Each was bought based on a Cost/Utility/Availability basis, and with rare exceptions I was pleased with each and every component purchased. We are fortunate in that few providers in the Shooting Sports offer poor quality products, for they are rapidly outed for poor quality. Study the products and tailor your purchases to those that meet your needs, no need to bash a Manufacturer or Vendor because one provides a better fit solution for your needs than another. It's a big tent gun show, and all are welcome to compete with their products.

Best wishes to Chuck Walla in his research. Find a product and start making Boolits and Bullets. Welcome to the learning journey, keep asking questions, and share your results and knowledge. We are all better served when that occurs.
    Well Said. No matter whose system you opt for you are going to drop a fair amount of coin. Study all your options make a choice you can live with.

Boolit Buddy

This is good advice, as hard as it is to not just place an order much research should be done, I am thankful that I purchased a cheaper (at the time) Danr set first as it got me through the learning curve because with the mistakes I made with those dies I would have probably ruined a nicer set of dies, good thing his were tough as nails....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Christensen View Post
    Sorry I am just not seeing your point.
    That would make us even then. My point, you have to consider what you have & or need. If he only needs dies, that is one option, if he wants a separate press, another option. That's all.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Very well said Mustang!
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Thanks to all that tried to help. Been reading as much as I can on this place for the last 2 weeks. There sure is a lot to filter through to find the gems that are helpful. I wish there were more stickies with quality info instead of having to read so much. One thing I don't understand about the die makers is why they don't all use 7/8-14 threads on their dies. It sure would be less confusing. I'm still leaning toward Blackmon, seems to be the best for the money.

Where can you find information regarding CH4D dies? All I am seeing on their site are reloading dies. Do they even still make swaging equipment?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Cast View Post
    Where can you find information regarding CH4D dies? All I am seeing on their site are reloading dies. Do they even still make swaging equipment?
    Nope...
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Banned

and they had 2 different systems too.
    I have one of their presses and a couple of different half sets of their dies.
    and a couple of their press mounted die set-ups.

the issue with swaging is that quite often one makers dies won't work with another ones.
    cores being different diameters, core seat dies are different diameters, stems are for different jackets.
    you can kinda sometimes add in a couple more steps and make one work with the other, and some sets will take a little 'abuse' that others won't.
    I'd pick a system and stick with it for all your swaging chores.
    this includes the cleaning/annealing parts of the system.

Banned
    BTSniper, what is your current lead time?

Boolit Master
    "Blackmon lists a press on his site for $180, but I have no idea how good it would be. Also, are his dies compatible with a reloading press?"

His dies will work on a RCBS Rockchuck press, and some other brands, IF you modify the Rockchuck press. This involves drilling a small hole in the press to insert a pin to eject the slug. It does not affect the reloading capabilities to reload on the press, you just change out the ram. The swage die screws into the top of the ram and the punches fit in the 7/8X14 threaded punch holder in the top of the press.

When I got started swaging 223 slugs, about 3 years ago, I bought some of Dr. Blackmon's dies and Rockchuck conversion. The RCBS conversion has a ram built to swage as well as ejecting the slug on the upstroke of the handle.

I have swage die sets that work both ways, die on the ram and die in the top of the reloading press. I, personally, like the die screwed onto the ram system. Although both systems make very good bullets.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jammersix View Post
    BTSniper, what is your current lead time?
    Plan on close to a year +. At least that is what it is currently. I know he is doing a pretty large order now, getting his backlog and trying to get a head of future orders. Might be shorter, but time will tell.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin