Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: revolvers I would like to see on the market

Banned
    southern California and sometimes Honolulu, hawaii

revolvers I would like to see on the market

A C&B pistol guy is lucky now in days. Lots of models, better fit and finish, affordable, and they ship right to the door! I sort of feel guilty to ask for more. But a guy can dream and imagine right? I have thought of a few I would like, maybe they are unreasonable, maybe not. You be the judge.

I would like to see a colt dragoon, that's bored out to 50 or 54 cal. ! The steel should be strong enough, I wonder if there is enough room in the bore and cylinder? A big bore to justify lugging around a huge gun. perfect for the modern shooter maybe?

I also want a 36 cal. 1858 Remington. But I would like it on a smaller frame, not a 44 frame with smaller holes in the cylinder and barrel like now. A "navy" size gun is what I am looking for.

Is there no end? I still want more! this time a civilian model colt type 1860 army with no capping groove AND a fluted cylinder!

To much to ask? Its just fantasy, but you never know! Jay

I too would like a Dragoon given the "1860" treatment. Basically make the same mods to it that Colt gave the 1851 Navy. Enlarge the front half of the Cylinder, and take the bore up as big as possible.

I would also like to see a Trantor or Webly .577 Revolver. They were large-framed, but actually light to carry. LOT of holes in those things.

Ruger Old Navy .36. 8) 8) 8)

1858 Remington .36 bored out to use off the shelf .41 molds. It's a project I've been slobbering over quite a while.

Also, would love to have a percussion revolver to use .535 round ball and the .577 Webley.

Boolit Master
    A .50 or even .54 cal would be great!

What I'd like to see is the Remington .36 cal police model.

And the comeback of the Old Army!

FWIW, I gave an 1860 Pietta with a fluted cylinder & 5-1/2" bbl to one of my best friends for his 65th B-day - so there's fluted cylinder 1860's out there.

IDK what you mean by "no capping groove" - do you think it's the best practice, to have to pull the cylinder every time reloading's req'd ?

Boolit Master
    IDK what you mean by "no capping groove" - do you think it's the best practice, to have to pull the cylinder every time reloading's req'd ?
    I was curious about that too. Plus in my observastion, the spent caps that do fall out, fall out at the capping cut, otherwise they'd all be dragged around and never fall out. I don't see an advantage there. I assumed you were referring to the cutout in the frame...

Boolit Master
    I Know what you all want, and I've already started working on it. I hope you have a lot of patience and money.

Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    A .50 or even .54 cal would be great!

What I'd like to see is the Remington .36 cal police model.

And the comeback of the Old Army!
    Ditto - those Remington police revolvers were cool.

A C&B revolver built like the Bearcat would a be a neat trick too.

-Nobade

Banned
    Oh, what I mean is the groove that is seen on later colt percussion revolvers . its on the right side of the frame were the recoil shield is cut out for installing caps. the groove is cap size, in the middle of the cut out and directs the cap to the nipple ( if the nipple is lined up right). Probably clear as mud, but that's the best I can describe it. seen mostly on the 1860 army, 1861 navy, and the 1862 police. pistols are sometimes made without it, which I think looks better. I don't feel it is really needed. Jay
    Last edited by jaystuw; 02-19-2014 at 11:15 PM.

Banned
    Yes, I would love to see someone come out with a webley, trantor, or adams double action percussion revolver. The English revolvers are very high Quality with great fit and finish. And look to be somewhat complicated and involved to build. I wonder if uberti or one the other Italian companies would be able to take on project like that? If they could pull it off and come up with a decent replica, I would want one badly. But jeez, how much would it cost? likely a thousand or more bucks! Jay

The Euroarms Remingtons are on a smaller frame (including the 44s) so the 36s have a lighter feel than anybody else's Remington "Navy".
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaystuw View Post
    Yes, I would love to see someone come out with a webley, trantor, or adams double action percussion revolver. The English revolvers are very high Quality with great fit and finish. And look to be somewhat complicated and involved to build. I wonder if uberti or one the other Italian companies would be able to take on project like that? If they could pull it off and come up with a decent replica, I would want one badly. But jeez, how much would it cost? likely a thousand or more bucks! Jay
    If the Italians can produce a LaMatte, (sp) I bet they can do a Webley.

Don

Boolit Master
    well I saw dragoons reamed and rifled to take a .495 ball. the early Remington .36s are a smaller frame. the asm and navy arms come to mind.

as far as the webley . it would go the way of the lematte just cost too much.

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe I read too much Louis L'Amour when I was a kid, but I would like to have a Walch 12 shot Navy revolver. Also a Shawk & McLanahan.

Robert

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Maybe I read too much Louis L'Amour when I was a kid, but I would like to have a Walch 12 shot Navy revolver. Also a Shawk & McLanahan.

Robert
    Robert, congradulations on your 4000th post! The walch pushs the very limit of what I know about percussion revolvers. I think the 6 hole cylinder had one load on top of the other maybe? the shawk & mclanahan is a complete mystery to me. Jay

Boolit Master

I love shooting the percussion revolvers. I believe when you have "mastered" the ins and outs of the cap and ball revolver, then you can truly call yourself a "shootist."

I own several, but my favorite is the Colt 1860 Army. I really like the 1858 Remington, but the Colt Dragoon grip of the 1860 just fits my hand perfect.

I would like to see Ruger bring back their percussion revolver.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    The Colt Root hardly ever gets mentioned, though it had an enclosed frame long before the Remington/Beals came along.

The LeMatt is just another .44 that holds a few extra shots. The Trantor /Webley in .577 would generate it's own market. 8) I wouldn't even care if they were single-action only.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaystuw View Post
    Robert, congradulations on your 4000th post! The walch pushs the very limit of what I know about percussion revolvers. I think the 6 hole cylinder had one load on top of the other maybe? the shawk & mclanahan is a complete mystery to me. Jay
    Thanks Jay,

I think you are right about the Walch; superposed loads don't really seem too safe to me, but a 12 shot C&B revolver would be neat.

I had googled the Shawk & Mclanahan more than ten years ago and found it was an actual revolver,but not much else. I just did it again today and found that it is supposed to be a precursor to the Confederate Leech & Rigdon, which I had always thought was a copy of the 1851 Colt. There I go thinking again....

L'Amour's protagonist in one of his books used the S&Mc and a Joslyn Carbine, I think it was "To Tame a Land" but I am not sure, it has been several years since I read the book.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post

Robert
    How can one read too much L'Amour? Think a 12 shot maybe a Russian? figured in one of his books recently re-read. Bad guy had the hero trapped in cave dwelling rear room, "knew" when the 6th shot was fired and missed he had him, stepped out right into shots 7 & 8.