Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another good reason to have a 30-06

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Cassidy View Post
    Life starts at .30 caliber.
    Amen, brother. I love 'em all. Only have a couple of '06s besides the milsurp ones, but several .308s, several more .30-30s and a couple of .300 Savages. The last three deer I killed with breech loaders were .30 caliber cast so they are definitely capable.

You know, I haven't had my old Model 70 '06 to the range in a while, I may pull it out and go this weekend.

Boolit Buddy
    I read it somewhere, about .30-06.

"You know why there's always .30-06 on shelf when there's a panic...because men who shoot .30-06 don't panic"

I don't recall where I read that, but I got a kick out of it.
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Boolit Master
    I like my 06, but I have found I like shooting the 300 Blackout more. It uses the same boolit, and sips powder. Case availability is not a problem. To bad it doesn't develop the power the 06 is capable of. If H4895 was more available, and cheaper I would like that old round more.

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    I like my 06, but I have found I like shooting the 300 Blackout more. It uses the same boolit, and sips powder. Case availability is not a problem. To bad it doesn't develop the power the 06 is capable of. If H4895 was more available, and cheaper I would like that old round more.
    Oh my doodle another BO fan. Why don't you tell us how a BO is like a 30-30 in automatic? Maybe because that's a pile of poop.
    We have a thread here concerning rifles. Not pistols.

Yes my above post was hateful and maybe obnoxious.
    Thing is I'm fairly fed up with the 300 BO crowd calling that piss ant round a rifle. It's a toy that's fun to play with.
    This thread is about a 30-06. Round which places the 7.62 NATO in the mirror. 30 BO barely beats out a 45 ACP. Just show us how completely out of touch with reality some people are. Rifle > pistol. I can get real close to 300 BO accuracy with my K frame 38's. :takinWiz:

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Hey blacksmith, I'll pm you my address and you send me one...Please!
    You might as well go directly to the source and cut out the middleman. Plus you can have your choice of either .30-06 or .308 caliber you could even get a sniper model.
    http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Big Bore View Post
    I'm with Blacksmith, if I were king the CMP would have to allocate a Garand to every newborn. And a 1911. And a Carbine. And...
    Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    O3A3.......Hello.?????????

Unfortunately the CMP no longer sells 1911's and has sold out of 03's, carbines and surplus .22's except for a few collector guns that are auction only. Their current supply of M1 Garands will likely be running out in the foreseeable future, they report 87,000 still in crates and sales of about 30,000 per year. That's why I bought a couple for my grandsons for when they are old enough because I expect the CMP will run out and I want them to have "The greatest battle implement ever devised.".
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Buddy

Mosin Nagant 7.62x54r.

Need I say more?
    What would you have if you woke up tomorrow with only what you thanked the Lord for today?

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    Ya know I have never owned a gun in 30-06
    WOW! Next you will be telling us you have never owned a 45 auto!
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

My first center fire was a DCM supplied m1917 Eddystone. That was in 1966 I have had 1 or more 3006s ever since. Four in the gun safe right now. Anything you can't do with a 06, can't be done.

The 06 was the first rifle I bought and also cast for and when I first started to reload and cast my own boolits .My mom did not like the idea of me getting one for where i was brought up you could not use it to hunt with.but my dad told her he might be in a state he could use it if he wants.it is a Rem 7600.I got it used and not really had any use in it and came with a scope and ask the gun dealer what is wrong with it he said the one that own it .I got it in the mid to late 80's and to this day i never mess with the scope and always hit what i shoot at .factory and hand loads and cast.I also see 30-06 on the shelf most of the time.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lefthandshooter View Post
    Mosin Nagant 7.62x54r.

Need I say more?
    You know, that's actually a pretty good testament to the ballistics of the '06; another extremely long serviced military round with very similar levels of performance. I think the 7.62x54 came first though.

We copied the 8x57 Mauser to get the .30-06, I assume we went with a .308 due to the Krag, but if bullet selection wre as good, the 8x57 would give the '06 a run for its money.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    You know, that's actually a pretty good testament to the ballistics of the '06; another extremely long serviced military round with very similar levels of performance. I think the 7.62x54 came first though.

We copied the 8x57 Mauser to get the .30-06, I assume we went with a .308 due to the Krag, but if bullet selection wre as good, the 8x57 would give the '06 a run for its money.
    Even better yet, the 8mm06. I built a number of them when imported M98s were cheap.

Banned

Always thought that would be a great rifle to have one of and I've read where all kinds were made on sporterized 98s because it was fairly easy to do but I don't see them at gun shows and such very often. Seems very similar to a .338-06 which guys seem to think is a great elk round.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    Yes my above post was hateful and maybe obnoxious.
    Thing is I'm fairly fed up with the 300 BO crowd calling that piss ant round a rifle. It's a toy that's fun to play with.
    This thread is about a 30-06. Round which places the 7.62 NATO in the mirror. 30 BO barely beats out a 45 ACP. Just show us how completely out of touch with reality some people are. Rifle > pistol. I can get real close to 300 BO accuracy with my K frame 38's. :takinWiz:
    LOL, yup some just dont get it. Pick one up and shoot something then get back to me. NO reason to get all worked up. It is fun, and useful. You must be referring to subsonics when you mention a 45acp. I am referring to supersonic which has quite a bit more umph than you realize. Albeit not a 3006, or even 308 it does have some merit in 30 cal. Try it, you might like it. Side by side with the x39 rifles I have it is right behind it in a shorter barrel. 30 carbine won't come close. Both of which are RIFLE rounds.
    I mentioned it because even though the 3006 is what it is, for work under 300 yards on light to medium game I can do it cheaper with the same bullet. That equates to more trigger time=more fun. Just like the old 308 vs 3006 debate you can't have your cake and eat it too, but if you can get a donut to fill your need why not.
    Last edited by xacex; 02-15-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Boolit Master

the first centerfire rifle I ever bought and sold and regretted selling was a Mauser 98 that had been rebarreled with a 2 groove 03A3 barrel and put in a sporter stock. I learned a lot about what to do and not to do with that rifle. It cost me $45 and worked just fine.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Funny, was at Wally World and stepped over to the ammo section and guess what, 30/06 and 270 and 7mm and 30/30 was all the rifle rounds. And those of us stuck behind enemy lines here in South Chicagoville can't really use a rifle, legally, for much game. Surely not the calibers that are on the shelf. Pistol ammo had a good selection and a decent price in 357, 45ACP, 40S&W, and 9mm.

Anyways I had to reload the 30/06 down because I am in touch with my sensitive side. But that was before I really learned how to have a rifle fitted to my long pull and the rise adjusted. Full bore ammo doesn't bother me anymore. Now I am looking at a used Remington left handed 700 in 30/06. Will have a stock built and fitted. Money well spent.

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Banned

Strangely, I have been looking for some factory .30-30 ammo and five different Wal Marts around here were all out at the same time. Kinda had to scratch my head on that one. Lot's of '06, .270, 7mm Mag, 308 and .223, there were even two boxes of 6mm Remington which you normally wouldn't find at Wal Mart. No .30-30 though.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    You know you need at least one gun in each caliber. Then no matter what the store has you have something to shoot it in.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Banned

I've been working on that one most of my adult life.

In some circles Im known as Mister Odd Six. Been carrying one since I was 12. My first deer hunt was with a 1903a3 NM.
    I thinned my 5 down to two, a custom bolt gun & M1 Garand. When I sold the low budget one I owned, the guy took it out for the first shoot, and banged targets out to 400 yards with open sights. I guess that 1948 Belgium Mauser still has more years left in it.

I shoot 110gr varmint grenades further than the varmint guns, and with way more knock down. The main diet In use are 187gr A-Max. With 1/4 inch groups at 200 yards, Im a happy camper. Using 208 A-Max, the BC is so high, they go flat and long into the next sip code.

Those two will be with me for the rest of mine life, then to my teenage grandson's life.

As soon as the battlefield comes to America, Ill still never be out of ammo. All I have to do is use the primer, powder & pill off of NATO 7.62x51, and a Lee Classic Loader.

Oh yeah, they DOD calls them 7.62x63
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison