Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMCD ProductsLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for a single 30 caliber mold for use with .308, 30/06, and 300s

It doesn't fit the > 2 cavity parameter, but is really hard to beat Lyman 311291. Us it in .30/30, .308, and .30/06. It is old, boring, and just works.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyston44 View Post
    Normal lube groves.
    Click on 62chevy's link and you will see that.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=308

Key
    I have that N.O.E. mold sitting here in a four cavity. It's for sale. Had it for a while before I tried it out. If you read up on ranch dogs site. clearly States it's for long throat chambers found on old Marlins. Figured my Win 94 AE would fit. Well not. For one my 94 fills up with a .310" bullet and a .300" bore. If you look close at this design it has no shoulder step on the front band. Rather the band tapers into the nose. So the smaller you size it the longer your front band is. Those old Marlins also had large throats that would take a .311" bullet easily. I could load this bullet if I seated it about .060" deep past the crimp grove. All around I don't think this is a good choice for fitting in multiple rifles.

I'll second Bens recommendation of the Saeco #315. With a tapered bullet you just load it out to whatever length fits. With a .300" size die you can push the .301" first band through if it's to tight in the throat. You could, as some do, size the first body band down to bore ride diameter also. but I'd be surprised if you gained anything.

After that bullet there are two others in NOE catalog. The copy of Lyman #311041 and RCBS 30-180-FN. He calls a 195 grain because that's what they cast from 2:6 alloy not Lino. The RCBS bullet would have quite a bit of body below the neck of your 300 magnums but about anything over a 150 grain will. Shouldn't matter. A friend is shooting mine from a 7.62 x 39mm with great results. They kill critters DRT freakishly well for some reason. Which is a widely reported phenomena. It still carries the downside of a long bore ride nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It doesn't fit the > 2 cavity parameter, but is really hard to beat Lyman 311291. Us it in .30/30, .308, and .30/06. It is old, boring, and just works.
    NOE shows sold out on them at the moment. But has the Lyman copy #311041. Which is the same bullet body as the #311291 with a flat nose on the end. I'm sure he will be cutting some more of these molds shortly as his new machines get up and running.

Crusty you said you didn't want a hollow point. But for that and the fact they are custom runs and not in stock. I have your bullet. MP 180 grain Hollow point in a Cramer style three cavity. Similar to Lyman #311332 design. HP pins are thin and short so bullets just fall off when you turn the mold upside down. My confidence in this boolits ability to mess stuff up may be over blown. But I don't think so. I cast up a big box from 2% antimony and 2% copper rich Babbitt. Heat treated at max temp in oven. They'd be a little soft for Bear or Elk and a little light for that anyways. Am also on the group buy list along with about 100 others for an MP 215 grain HP. I use a 30-06.

Boolit Master
    Keyston44,

Thanks!

I will assume that when I see "RD" in the name/description of a bullet such as shown in the link, that the RD indicates RanchDog.

When I went to the NOE web site, It seemed like everything "RanchDog" came up with the Tumble Lube grooves. That, because I use a sizer/luber for lubing immediately put it off my interest list.

Thanks for help with this clarification!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    GabbyM,

Also a thanks your direction.

You folks are giving me just what I ask for, hands on, on the ground info and sources for proven designs/molds.

Did learn that "NOE" stands for Night Owl Enterprises. Finally!

I saw a reference to the Night Owl Enterprises, did a search and kept coming up with NOE or the reverse of that situation. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuu! Slow but finally figured it out that they are one and the same. SLOW!!!!!

Talking with my son again last night, so by the time we are ready to buy, you folks will have supplied enough info that we should have a reasonable handle on the situation.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Banned

well, should be getting more in soon...

Boolit Master

There is a seller on e-bay who apparently has a quantity of Lee Custom 6 cavity molds that copy the Lyman 311041. they are buy it now for $79.95 plus $9.95 shipping and come in plain base or gas check designs. I just got a plain base and am looking at a gas check also. The seller is shootingsupply, I have no connection with him other than being a satisfied customer.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    WOW, your all over the top!

Blammer, Just signed up for your site. Looks good and have added it to the "favorites" list.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Mold
    with the larger calibers like 308, 30-06 and bigger, why not a heavier bullet? can only run them so fast without more work involved so the weight should help.

I am currently looking at a 311-247 for 30-06 and 300 blackout use...

Boolit Master
    broylz, Not a bad idea.

Hearing lot of good comments that will get consideration in the mix.

"J" bullet velocities will not be the deciding factor here as that is not the intent.

So your suggesting of heavier cast bullet designs has merit.

CDOC

Well my 200 grain Lyman #311299 at 1950 fps feels like enough gun after a while.

Like I stated earlier I have a 215 HP on order. We know what a 220 grain bullet does in a 30 caliber. AKA Lyman #311284. Don't think CDOC is looking for an experiment.