Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lightweight 35 Remington?

Boolit Master

Lightweight 35 Remington?

Traded for an Ideal 356402 with one our fine upstanding members here. Little single cavity and it casts near perfect little cones.
    Well, I got it for 9mm but the mold is out of round by .001 falling from the mold at .359-.360. HMMMM.....
    No big deal at all for 9mm or even 38/357. Sizing back is a breeze.

My 35 Remington shoots EXCELLENT when sized to .359. Wonder what the little bugger would do in the Marlin?? They weigh in a very consistent 123g.

Just curious if anyone ever tried it. Sure would be fun for plinking. Yet another in the books for 10.0g of Unique??

Boolit Bub
    I use a similar boolit in my 14 inch Tender with 8 ish of 231. Very nice load. I drilled out the primer flash holes on a box for use with it.

I got the recipe from Larry if I recall.

Boolit Master

Yup 10 grains of Unique works for everything

Quote Originally Posted by trail troll View Post
    I use a similar boolit in my 14 inch Tender with 8 ish of 231. Very nice load. I drilled out the primer flash holes on a box for use with it.

I got the recipe from Larry if I recall.
    Educate me, why drill out the primer flash holes? What size did you drill them to? Could ya use magnum primers instead if fire was a problem?
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnbob View Post
    Educate me, why drill out the primer flash holes? What size did you drill them to? Could ya use magnum primers instead if fire was a problem?
    Let me show you where I got the idea per Larry

"If well fire formed cases are used to get a good gas seal w/o case obturation (there won't be any with a load as such) so the full force of the primer is contained in the case and the rifle is not positioned at and extreme angle up or down these type loads with very fast burning and easily ignitable powders are not generally "position sensitive". I prefer Bullseye myself and most often use it for such loads. I have, however, also used quite a bit of 231 with such loads. In addition to the well fire formed cases it is also quite beneficial to drill out the flash holes to a maximum of a #28 drill. This alleviates the potential of the reduction of case headspace set back from repeated firings of such loads. Drilling the flash hole also allows the flash to get into the case faster filling the case with flash. This greatly alleviates powder position sensitivity. Some worry this may increase the pressure of regular loads but I have thoroughly pressure tested such cases with drilled out flash holes in the .308W with loads using the 311299 (200 gr) cast bullet over 4895 to 2200 fps and found no indication of any increase in psi."

I used standard primer with 231, no filler and a 140 grain round nose for the 35. Shot little squirrel groups at 50 yards with them.

Boolit Grand Master

DeanWinchester

I use 5 gr Bullseye under the Lee 356-120-TC (.358-.359) for 1150 fps and excellent accuracy out of my 26" barreled M91 .35 Rem. I use cases as quoted above with the flash holes drilled out for such. As also mentioned 231 works very well also. I did not find Unique to work nearly as well; by the time a load was had where it burned efficiently the velocity was way too high for best accuracy. Considering I've replaced my own use of the 356402 with the Lee bullet (Lee mould is a 6 cavity is only reason) I see no reason why the Lyman bullet won't work just as well.

Larry Gibson

Will this work the same in a 358 Win? I have both BE and 231.
    Thanks, Tom

Boolit Grand Master

Yes.

Larry Gibson