Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone seat and crimp separately?

Boolit Bub
    Started using two dies to try and cure a leading problem on my 1911 in 45 ACP. Now do it on all cast loads. Never on Jacketed.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Boolit Grand Master
    Most all revo loading is done this way
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Everything that comes off a progressive and most that comes off a single stage.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Yes I do!

Boolit Master
    Not being one who shoots thousands a year but trying to make better more consistent ammo even for plinking have begun to do it in two steps.

dwd

Boolit Master
    I started reloading with the one-step process, and wondered why I was getting a few bulged cases, which made chambering difficult. I switched to seat and crimp in two operations, and the problem disappeared. I have a seater die for .38 Special, and one for 357 Mag, then use a Dillon Pro-Crimp for taper crimping for plated boolits with no cannelure, so I don't cut the plating, and roll crimping for SWC and J-word...it'll do both.
    Another step in the process, but with my single-stage press, I'm not going to set records, and I do make some good ammunition!

With the pc it is an especially good idea to crimp separate. I've found it quite difficult to do it perfect in one shot with pc boolits.

Vendor Sponsor

You will note: that virtually everyone here does it always,,, but some only do it most of the time.

The reason is that it gives you precise control over both operations, which if done together result in a compromise that can work but many times creates other problems.

In short doing it in separate operations simply makes better ammunition.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Frosted Boolits

Never, until I had progressive presses that gave me the opportunity to do so (quickly). I made many, many rounds using one die to seat and crimp at the same time. Never had a problem with bulged cases and if I had shaved lead I had my crimp set wrong. A TAPER crimp should not dig into the bullet...it only removes the slight flare put on the case. Nothing more, nothing less. It adds NO extra case neck tension. This topic comes up from time to time. I always wondered how better, more consistent ammunition is made by breaking up the 2 steps.

Is it easier...yes.

Do you have to do it this way...no.

It does make changing boolit styles/weights much easier and faster, I will say that!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Grand Master
    I use 2 separate steps and 2 separate dies , ( Seat the bullet 1st, and then finish with the roll or taper crimp in the last step ) , I wouldn't consider doing it any other way.

Boolit Master

Yes, with separate dies. In both revolver and auto cartridges.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Stihl View Post
    2 Seperate Operations Every Time.
    There are situations that lend themselves to a 1 step operation. But I find it alot easier to skip the trial and error and go for what works everytime.
    Me too!

bgokk Benefactor Member NRA
    The second amendment is the guarantee for all the other amendments...........

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I use 2 separate steps and 2 separate dies , ( Seat the bullet 1st, and then finish with the roll or taper crimp in the last step ) , I wouldn't consider doing it any other way.
    I have been doing this for years and feel that it produces the best I can do.

Tom

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I only load pistol but I do each operation separately on my Lee 4 hole classic turret. Doing it in the same operation (while I know many do) to me is akin to trying to sit down and pull-up your pants at the same time.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Is there any other way? I always use a separate crimp die. Even my 30-30 and 45-70 are crimped with a dedicated crimp die.

Always have in every caliber that needs a crimp.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. -- John Wayne

Boolit Buddy
    i do for my 500mag, but for everything else (9mm, 45acp, 38spl, 357mag) i do it in one step with lee dies.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes. Since the good members on this board recommended that I try it to solve some problems I was having I use the RCBS Carbide to seat and a Lyman to crimp in 2 steps. All of my problems vanished.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Man
    I just got a Lee factory crimp die to use when I load .44 mag. It crimps and resizes as a last step in the process. You really want a roll crimp with your 44 mag. Light loads only need a light roll and heavy loads need a firmer roll crimp. The 3rd die in a normal set is the seating die. If you adjust it correctly, you can make it do anything from a light roll crimp to a heavy roll crimp, but it's kind of a tricky thing to seat and crimp in the same step. At least at first it's tricky until you get the hang of it. The Lee FCD makes doing the crimp even easier. Basically, you use the seater die just to seat the bullet to the right depth. Then you come in with the FCD and apply a perfect crimp just the way you want, and as a side bonus, it resizes the assembled cartridge.
    Last edited by Worn_Holster; 01-14-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Worn_Holster View Post
    I just got a Lee factory crimp die to use when I load .44 mag. It crimps and resizes as a last step in the process. You really want a roll crimp with your 44 mag. Light loads only need a light roll and heavy loads need a firmer roll crimp. The 3rd die in a normal set is the seating die. If you adjust it correctly, you can make it do anything from a light roll crimp to a heavy roll crimp, but it's kind of a tricky thing to seat and crimp in the same step. At least at first it's tricky until you get the hang of it. The Lee FCD makes doing the crimp even easier. Basically, you use the seater die just to seat the bullet to the right depth. Then you come in with the FCD and apply a perfect crimp just the way you want, and as a side bonus, it resizes the assembled cartridge.
    If your sizing die in step one is setup correctly there's no need to resize again. Also the resizing of the FCD with cast boolits (at least for the pistol cartridges) can be and has known to be problematic.