MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2MCD ProductsRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So what wheel gun?

Boolit Master
    After reading all of the responses I am very surprised that no one has spoken up regarding the virtues of 45 Colt in this pairing. The 45 Colt is very versatile and with a Ruger Blackhawk or similar, it can be loaded mild to wild with ballistics rivaling or bettering the 44. The combination of Blackhawk and something like a Rossi 92 can be had for a modest investment and cover everything from paper punching to CAS to hunting just about anything in North America.

My 2 cents....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Worn_Holster View Post
    I find the thought of pairing a rifle and a pistol doesn't make a whole lot of sense except for the fact that you can use the same brass and reloading dies. You will have to have different loads for each and likely use different projectiles. You'll never be shooting the same loads through both. So what is the big hoopla about it, anyway? Maybe I'd go for a 1911 and a Marlin Camp Carbine because they use the same mag also.
    I just bought my second .44 mag, a Ruger Redhawk stainless 7.5", which is still somewhere between me and the seller. My first .44 is a S&W 1958 pre-29 4-screw which is awesome to shoot, but I wanted one that I didn't have to worry about damaging while out hunting. I love my Ruger 6" .357 Security Six, but lately I've been into shooting my .44 mag more.
    Since I found an 8# jug of Unique locally recently, I've been shooting the Unique 10gr load over a 240gr SWC. Nice medium .44 mag load...
    Never really gave it that much thought but you bring up some very valid points.

Boolit Grand Master

I find the thought of pairing a rifle and a pistol doesn't make a whole lot of sense except for the fact that you can use the same brass and reloading dies. You will have to have different loads for each and likely use different projectiles. You'll never be shooting the same loads through both.
    This couldn't be more wrong. I use the same loads and same bullets in both of mine. You will find that most people do this. It prevents shooting the wrong ammo in a firearm it shouldn't be used in. I have no notable exception and it's because one particular bullet won't feed in my Marlin. This one is loaded for revolver only. But it's not because I want it to be that way.

Boolit Buddy
    I have both the 44 Mag and 357 Mag pairing, both rifles are 1894 Marlins, in the 44 Mag I use a Ruger Super Blackhawk. For the 357 Mag I have both a GP 100 and a Blackhawk as well as a Hawes Great Western. I find I reach for the 357 Blackhawk more than any other gun.
    30-06, Blackhawk.
    243, Blackhawk.
    Shotgun, Blackhawk.
    Only seem to carry the SBH when I carry the 44 Marlin.
    Good luck finding the 357 Marlin.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Man
    Ideally, the same loads don't work for both. You can shoot anything that you want out of your guns, but your accuracy will suffer in one if not both. You will have to make load concessions to get a one load for all. Plain and simply, a rifle is not a pistol is not a rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohica793 View Post
    After reading all of the responses I am very surprised that no one has spoken up regarding the virtues of 45 Colt in this pairing. The 45 Colt is very versatile and with a Ruger Blackhawk or similar, it can be loaded mild to wild with ballistics rivaling or bettering the 44. The combination of Blackhawk and something like a Rossi 92 can be had for a modest investment and cover everything from paper punching to CAS to hunting just about anything in North America.

My 2 cents....
    I have never gotten around to buying a lever-action rifle in a pistol caliber, but if I ever do the first one will be chambered for .45Colt. I already have a couple of Ruger Vaqueros in .45Colt, so that would set me up for CAS if I ever decide to resume competitive shooting. I could also use it for short-range whitetail hunting.

If I ever ran across a lever-action rifle in .41Mag, I would probably be hard pressed to turn it down. I do own a couple of revolvers in that caliber.

You might want to ask what size/diameter bullets they're using in the marlin's with the micro-groove bbl's. 20+ years ago I had a marlin 1894c in 44mag & pared it with a 7 1/2" bbl'd blackhawk. The blackhawk shot .430 cast bullets & the levergun used .432 cast bullets. Hence, 2 different ammo's for the same caliber. I believe the new marlins are being made with standard grooved bbl's so your pistol/rifle can use the same diameter bullet/ same load/same ammo.

Not allot of people use/shoot the dan wesson revolvers but their one of the best deals out there. The frames on them are comparable to the s&w L-frames or the ruger gp 100's. The bbl's can easily be changed & cost around $200 for the bbl/shroud combo. If you look around you can find a 3bbl'd set for around $750. The dw's have several different bbl shrouds designs, anything from flat to vented to sideslab with interchangable front sights that have 3 different styles, 6 different heights & 4 different colors.

You could be shooting a standard 4" vented bbl 1 hour & change the bbl out in minutes to 2", 6", 8", 10" bbl with the sight of your choice. It's nice to have choices.

Attachment 92230

A fun range plinker, 4" bbl'd red ramp white outline with 1200fps 357's.

Attachment 92233

My favorite setup with the dw's, Heavy slabside bbl shrouds with muzzle breaks & stippled rubber finger groove grips. These thing eat 1200fps/1300fps 158gr hp's like their 22's. It's nothing to run 400/500 rounds of fullhouse loads of 2400 with 158gr hp's thru them in a single range session beaten & bangin on steel/paper & bowling pins.

Attachment 92235

Moderator Emeritus

44mag is my favorite cartridge.

As a caster and reloader, when you compare prices to load your own, there isn't much difference in Price, between 357M and 44M, especially when compared to factory ammo. You can down load either caliber easily enough. We're talking revolvers here, so not much brass loss.

I love the S&W revolvers...they sure hold their value, and have been appreciating considerably in the last few years. BUT, the Ruger Redhawk or the Super Redhawk deserve a look, while their double action trigger's leave alot to be desired compared to a S&W, they can be worked over to be just as good as a worked over S&W. Colts ? I've had a King Cobra and a Python...I prefered the cheaper KC to the Py. I'm just not a Py fan,,,mine just didn't shoot accurate enough in my hands compared to a S&W.
    anyway,
    go with 44 Mag.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire_Medic View Post
    I live in a rather big city although out in the suburbs and as much as I'd like to hunt, don't know many people who do and any spare time I have right now would be geared towards IDPA/Reloading/Plinking. So yes I "may" hunt at some point, but for now just plinking and punching paper.

Any brands you recommend?

Thanks for your input.
    I have Ruger Blackhawks in. 357, .44 Mag. and. 45 Colt with matching Marlin Cowboy rifles and extra barrels for my H&R Handi Rifle.

If you want to use your revolvers for IDPA then get a GP100 or Redhawk DA.

Boolit Master
    I find the thought of pairing a rifle and a pistol doesn't make a whole lot of sense except for the fact that you can use the same brass and reloading dies. You will have to have different loads for each and likely use different projectiles. You'll never be shooting the same loads through both. So what is the big hoopla about it, anyway?
    I get the nostalgia of the pairing but another way to look at this is field performance. If I lug around a revolver and a lever gun, the revolver is going to be a 44/45 and the lever gun a 35 Remington. For the approx same weight and overall size the bottle neck cartridge blows away the straight wall. Now again for nostalgia's sake or range use go right ahead but in the field I don't really see the point.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    I get the nostalgia of the pairing but another way to look at this is field performance. If I lug around a revolver and a lever gun, the revolver is going to be a 44/45 and the lever gun a 35 Remington. For the approx same weight and overall size the bottle neck cartridge blows away the straight wall. Now again for nostalgia's sake or range use go right ahead but in the field I don't really see the point.
    Because in Miami, FL there's no field, lol. Just for range use guys, that's why I explained it at the beginning of the thread.

Boolit Master
    Because in Miami, FL there's no field, lol. Just for range use guys, that's why I explained it at the beginning of the thread.

Truce

Just enjoying the thread drift a bit and I did mention: "for nostalgia's sake or range use go right ahead".

And for something you can possibly use: don't rule out a sweet deal on a S&W model 28

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Truce

Just enjoying the thread drift a bit and I did mention: "for nostalgia's sake or range use go right ahead".
    Just a reminder I don't mind thread drifts, you always get something extra out of them.

I have wanted a Colt Python for ages because I just always thought they were beautiful guns, but looking around that's way more than I want to spend...FM
    The answer my friend is GP100. The correct barrel legnth is 4". Should be able to get a new one for under $600 at a gun show. The GP and the Python are very similar. I use my GP100. The Python sits in the safe.

Boolit Buddy
    I had to way in on this one. I have gone the way of the security six and the rossi m92 20 inch lever gun. Both will handle anything one wants to throw at it and are accurate enough. I do like the single actions but the DA/SA of the security six just seemed more practical to me. I also have a redhawk 45 colt that I will be getting a rossi to match up with. I went the way of the 45 as from all the info I could find from long term loaders. The bottom line was that the 45 colt could everything the 44 could do with less pressure and a slightly bigger hole. I figured why reinvent the wheel. I know its one of those debates that could on forever. Me...I liked the idea of less pressure and there by less recoil to deal with.

Now back to the .357. the gp 100 and sp101 are both fine weapons. I tried all barrel lengths in both models. I finally tried the security six and for me .... I found the exact compromise of weight, recoil , absorption and accuracy that I wanted. Do a little comparing on their specs and you will see what I mean. they are dam fine guns.

I own a 6-4 and 2 3/4 inch barrel in the security six and absolutely enjoy them.

the rossi m92 was a way for me to get into lever guns at a lower cost. I researched them and found many that enjoy them. I will admit it was a bit rough until I did a steve gunz tweaking. Now it is as smooth as any other rifle in its class. Great value.

good luck on your decision.

I am going to take you at your word that this sixgun/rifle combination is for range use only. This being the case, a 38/357 would be the best choice. The brass is available and cheap, it uses less powder and lead than the 44.

If you want a DA sixgun, then a pre-lock Smith and Wesson will make you happy.

If you want a SA sixgun, then a good Ruger will fill the bill nicely.

For the rifle a good Marlin or a Winchester (Miroku made) 92 will fill the bill. Of the two, I find the 92 to be smoother and just more fun to use.

Now, if you move off the range and take to the field, a 44 Magnum will do everything the 38/357 will do and a whole lot more.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I am going to take you at your word that this sixgun/rifle combination is for range use only. This being the case, a 38/357 would be the best choice. The brass is available and cheap, it uses less powder and lead than the 44.

If you want a DA sixgun, then a pre-lock Smith and Wesson will make you happy.

If you want a SA sixgun, then a good Ruger will fill the bill nicely.

For the rifle a good Marlin or a Winchester (Miroku made) 92 will fill the bill. Of the two, I find the 92 to be smoother and just more fun to use.

Now, if you move off the range and take to the field, a 44 Magnum will do everything the 38/357 will do and a whole lot more.
    I decided for the reasons you stated, and the fact that I want my wife to enjoy shooting out of these as well, that I will go 357/mag.

I can't stop looking at 4" S&W model 586's, blued with the round butt grips……. and the 6" K38…….. man I think I feel a wheel gun addiction coming, lol.

We have a gun show here weekend after this one, and if I can get some motorcycle parts sold I will be hunting for a lonely wheel gun that needs a new home……..

Boolit Buddy
    smiths are nice... you will not get any argument there. The gp 100 and the security six have a great reputation for handling a constant diet of full house 158 and 125 grain .357 magnums with no ill affects. Just saying.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by silverback13 View Post
    smiths are nice... you will not get any argument there. The gp 100 and the security six have a great reputation for handling a constant diet of full house 158 and 125 grain .357 magnums with no ill affects. Just saying.
    I will look at both, I have nothing against Ruger, I use to own an SP 101 hammerless DAO that I sold off like a dummy. Great little pistol. In the end I will have a GP, SP 101, and a couple of smiths. Ruger are a great value and triggers can always be smoothed.

The Smith is like the refined girl you want your parents to meet, and the Ruger is the nasty girl that takes whatever you give her and doesn't complain

Boolit Buddy
    Yep. That's my kind of women----low maintenance trouble free--- no fuss no muss. LOL same with the rossi once you get it slicked up.