Load DataRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So what wheel gun?

Banned
    I toss in my $0.02.
    I've owned, shot and worked on a pile of revolvers; including some big bores. Over the years the 40 caliber + ones left one by one and the .357 caliber ones accumulated. I'm currently looking for a .44 but not as a replacement, only an addition. In todays world a cartridge that consumes less lead and powder each time it's fired has some real merit of economy over the ones that throw those big bullets. Don't get me wrong, big bullets have their place but the 38 Special/.357 magnum has a LOT going for it. Fun, cheap, accurate, versatile, reasonably powerful ...did I mention fun?

As for .357 caliber revolvers, we have some excellent examples to choose from. The Colt's are nice but almost in collector's only status and very expensive. The Smith v. Ruger thing is a lot like the Ford v. Chevy thing but I'll make some distinctions.
    First let me say that I think the single action revolver is a fine design but it's not my choice for a revolver that may be called upon for more than hunting or target work. Ruger makes some outstanding single actions and I've owned some; but I prefer double actions for revolvers.
    The excellent engineering and high strength of a Ruger GP-100 is undeniable. They are also far more accurate than most people will admit. I'm tried of hearing about the allegedly poor triggers on the GP-100. The trigger pull on a new S&W, "aint' all that" and the GP double action pull can easily be made to rival the current out of the box S&W. Don't over look the old Security-Six models or the SP-101's, they have some strong points as well.
    The Rugers are strong, durable, accurate revolvers with outstanding engineering.

The S&W's have another forte - a very long design history and a LOT of variations.
    With the S&W make you get multiple frame sizes, sights, finishes, steel or alloy frames, etc.
    The S&W L-frames are plenty strong for anything one would want to do with a .357 magnum. The K-frames are works of art that balance size and power.

For a medium sized .357 revolver it comes down to a L-frame S&W or a Ruger GP-100. They are both excellent guns. The S&W has a few more variants and the GP-100 has superior strength and engineering.
    If I had to have only one my choice would be the GP-100.

As for lever action rifles chambered in .357 magnum; your choices are a bit limited. The good news is most of what's available is pretty good. I owned a Rossi lever action chambered in 38/.357 that, despite it's low price, was actually not bad. It wasn't nearly the same quality as the American makes but it was surprisingly functional and accurate. I think when you start talking about rifles chambered in pistol calibers, the playing field is fairly level.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I toss in my $0.02.
    I've owned, shot and worked on a pile of revolvers; including some big bores. Over the years the 40 caliber + ones left one by one and the .357 caliber ones accumulated. I'm currently looking for a .44 but not as a replacement, only an addition. In todays world a cartridge that consumes less lead and powder each time it's fired has some real merit of economy over the ones that throw those big bullets. Don't get me wrong, big bullets have their place but the 38 Special/.357 magnum has a LOT going for it. Fun, cheap, accurate, versatile, reasonably powerful ...did I mention fun?

As for .357 caliber revolvers, we have some excellent examples to choose from. The Colt's are nice but almost in collector's only status and very expensive. The Smith v. Ruger thing is a lot like the Ford v. Chevy thing but I'll make some distinctions.
    First let me say that I think the single action revolver is a fine design but it's not my choice for a revolver that may be called upon for more than hunting or target work. Ruger makes some outstanding single actions and I've owned some; but I prefer double actions for revolvers.
    The excellent engineering and high strength of a Ruger GP-100 is undeniable. They are also far more accurate than most people will admit. I'm tried of hearing about the allegedly poor triggers on the GP-100. The trigger pull on a new S&W, "aint' all that" and the GP double action pull can easily be made to rival the current out of the box S&W. Don't over look the old Security-Six models or the SP-101's, they have some strong points as well.
    The Rugers are strong, durable, accurate revolvers with outstanding engineering.

The S&W's have another forte - a very long design history and a LOT of variations.
    With the S&W make you get multiple frame sizes, sights, finishes, steel or alloy frames, etc.
    The S&W L-frames are plenty strong for anything one would want to do with a .357 magnum. The K-frames are works of art that balance size and power.

For a medium sized .357 revolver it comes down to a L-frame S&W or a Ruger GP-100. They are both excellent guns. The S&W has a few more variants and the GP-100 has superior strength and engineering.
    If I had to have only one my choice would be the GP-100.

As for lever action rifles chambered in .357 magnum; your choices are a bit limited. The good news is most of what's available is pretty good. I owned a Rossi lever action chambered in 38/.357 that, despite it's low price, was actually not bad. It wasn't nearly the same quality as the American makes but it was surprisingly functional and accurate. I think when you start talking about rifles chambered in pistol calibers, the playing field is fairly level.
    P&P,

I appreciate your response. Since the start of this thread I have been in touch with a friend (not local) who had a Smith and a GP100. I also stated in my OP the only revolver I owned before was an SP 101, and I do plan on having another someday. So this is tearing me towards the 357, and the points you make in your post make a lot of sense. I think a GP 100 will make a nice addition to start off with, I can always add a Smith later. Like I said no rush here I want to setup to cast first, but doing my research as a wheel gun and lever action are on my short list. I'd just rather be setup to feed them forever before adding one. At least thats my thinking.

FM

If you dont already have a supply of brass,I would look at the aval of supplies, i.e. brass,primers,bullets,etc. If your going to mold some there is always the supply lead now-a-days. I like the 38/357 combo rugers and 586/686's, but a 44 or 45 combo is not a bad idea. You mite want to check on prices and aval of the lever guns. Wont do much good to have a great pistol and reloading plan if you have pay out the washu or cant find a decent rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by yman View Post
    If you dont already have a supply of brass,I would look at the aval of supplies, i.e. brass,primers,bullets,etc. If your going to mold some there is always the supply lead now-a-days. I like the 38/357 combo rugers and 586/686's, but a 44 or 45 combo is not a bad idea. You mite want to check on prices and aval of the lever guns. Wont do much good to have a great pistol and reloading plan if you have pay out the washu or cant find a decent rifle.
    So if I'm reading you correctly, I should focus on the rifle first, because it will be the harder item to get what I want, and then after I can get the needed casting items for it and get the revolver of choice in the same caliber?

Thanks
    FM

Boolit Master

4c ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-29-2020 at 07:44 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Banned
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that 123.DieselBenz really means W123 Mercedes Benz.....which would explain the extremely pragmatic and outstanding collection of Stainless Steel Rugers you've acquired. That's a nice collection of REAL guns!

Boolit Master
    After years of trading and having everything from a Old Royal Blue Python to a Taurus Ultralight 85, I feel the Ruger GP100 is the best all purpose gun I have ever owned.

If you are looking for a Python option, check out the Trooper MKIII. They are for the most part a Python except for MIM trigger parts on the newer ones. My 6" Trooper kept 6=8 inch groups at 100 yards. They are relatively cheap as far as colts go. If you decided to buy one, they can be had for a few hundred dollars more than a new gp-100

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    After years of trading and having everything from a Old Royal Blue Python to a Taurus Ultralight 85, I feel the Ruger GP100 is the best all purpose gun I have ever owned.

If you are looking for a Python option, check out the Trooper MKIII. They are for the most part a Python except for MIM trigger parts on the newer ones. My 6" Trooper kept 6=8 inch groups at 100 yards. They are relatively cheap as far as colts go. If you decided to buy one, they can be had for a few hundred dollars more than a new gp-100
    The Python idea was more nostalgia than anything. I had never really looked into it, hence the sticker shock, lol.

I'm leaning towards the GP100 for my first non snubbie revolver, but between now and when I buy one anything can happen, lol.

I never would have thought I'd see a revolver on gun broker selling for more than I have paid in the past for a Wilson or Springer Custom 1911……..

At that price point and condition it would be a collectors item, and I don't do collectors, I shoot EVERYTHING that I own. My only collectors piece if you will (which still gets shot a lot) is the 1971 Belgium made Browning High Power my father in law left to me before he passed away. It's just too much fun to shoot and has a dear place to me. It's like me and the old man are together when I shoot it. I can't even bring myself to refinish it, though it needs it, but it's well cared for and is not rusting so……

I have the original receipt from when he bought it back in 1972 and everything. Pistol and one extra mag for less than $150, lol. Still have the old worn browning leather pouch and the shoulder rig he used to carry it too, doesn't fit me I'm slightly larger than he was lol.

Boolit Master
    My same-caliber handgun/rifle sets are selections from multiple .44 revolvers and rifles (one SBH, an M29, two Bulldogs, a Deerstalker, a B92, and a Handy-Rifle), or my .30 Carbine Blackhawk and my hotrodded M1 Carbine. (looking for a Marlin 62/30 and an Automag III and a Raging Thirty) I am also trying to get hold of a .45 ACP AR upper, as well as one for 9mm. Your paired handgun doesn't have to be a revolver, as there are numerous choices of autopistol caliber carbines. One thing that works great for plinking "sets" is any good .22LR revolver or auto pistol and any good .22LR rifle, but only if you have a metric pant-load of pre-panic .22 ammo. It's a different thread but my "cast the new .22" is .30 Carbine, except the long gun gets plated boolits due to problems with soldering the gas tappet with CBs...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post

The Trooper MKIII looks a little Python-like on the outside but the lock work is totally different on the inside. I gave my father one and had to work on it when a spring failed. They do shoot well but the trigger pull is not quite the same. They are good revolvers and for the most part they are fitted very well, but the GP-100 will stay in time far longer and is clearly stronger.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School Big Bore View Post
    My same-caliber handgun/rifle sets are selections from multiple .44 revolvers and rifles (one SBH, an M29, two Bulldogs, a Deerstalker, a B92, and a Handy-Rifle), or my .30 Carbine Blackhawk and my hotrodded M1 Carbine. (looking for a Marlin 62/30 and an Automag III and a Raging Thirty) I am also trying to get hold of a .45 ACP AR upper, as well as one for 9mm. Your paired handgun doesn't have to be a revolver, as there are numerous choices of autopistol caliber carbines. One thing that works great for plinking "sets" is any good .22LR revolver or auto pistol and any good .22LR rifle, but only if you have a metric pant-load of pre-panic .22 ammo. It's a different thread but my "cast the new .22" is .30 Carbine, except the long gun gets plated boolits due to problems with soldering the gas tappet with CBs...
    I know the paired guns doesn't have to be a wheel gun I WANT it to be. I want something different than a semi auto. Through trading/selling over the past few years I have basically at one time or another owned every semi auto I have wanted to, and some I didn't, and the 2 years behind a counter at a store with an indoor range allowed me to shoot the stuff I might have considered but did not ever buy.

As for the .22LR, I sold my beautiful bolt action Savage because I was offered stupid money for it last year and I couldn't find any .22 ammo at a price I was willing to pay. Not gonna pay more for .22 than what it was costing me to reload 45 cap. lol.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 123.DieselBenz View Post
    I prefer double actions ... But ... Sometimes a Sa sneaks in!

Here is a SP101 3 1/16"
    Security Six 4"
    New Model Blackhawk 6.5"

My next will probably be a GP100 6" ...

Have you thought of a DAN Wesson model 15? You can find them with a bunch of different barrel lengths, and they are easy and quick to change out!

We also have a older Marlin 1894c ...
    Beautiful guns, miss my old SP 101……… let myself get talked out of that one.

Boolit Master

,,,,, ,
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-29-2020 at 07:43 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

I'm going to suggest that it's not a pair you want but a trio. A lever rifle, a single action that mimics the old west guns and finally a 4 inch or shorter 6 shot revolver.

The rifle is a no brainer if you're going to have a matching set.

For a single action the choice sort of depends on which hole you want to fill. A Pietta or Uberti cowboy action gun will provide a direct connection to the days of the old West thanks to the faithful reproduction of the classic old "4 click" Colt action. Something that the Modern Rugers do NOT have. On the other hand if you would like to set up a single action revolver for precision target shooting a Ruger Blackhawk is the ticket as the adjustable sights gives you the ability to set the gun up for any given ammo. Something you can't do with the fixed sight cowboy style guns.

The option for the 4inch or shorter double action revolver is a nod to the idea that you can then use it in competitions such as IPSC, IDPA or Steel Challenge. The option of the shorter barrel is only required for IDPA as far as I know but it's a nice size for a revolver anyway.

I'm also in agreement with the idea of .357 as the chambering for all the reasons mentioned already about minimizing the costs for lead and powder. Over the years I've save a lot by sticking with the smaller bore size. It may only be a nickel a shot difference but it doesn't take long for these things to add up.

Even if you take up handgun caliber hunting later on I'd suggest you'd still keep the .357 trio while adding on a .44Mag or .45Colt pair to the family. Especially if the big majority of your shooting is for plinking, paper or matches.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Boolit Buddy
    I love my Colt Trooper MK III. I also have a Ruger Security Six. Oddly enough they are pretty much the same gun including the size of the cylinder (can use same speed loaders) Also have a Ruger Blackhawk. The one thing I don't like about the older Rugers is the size of the grip. But cant go wrong with anyone. As long as you keep with the big three for revolvers (S&W, Ruger, and Colt) you won't have any issue.

Boolit Master
    years ago I had all 44 mags and rifle also. Was very happy and felt secure. Years later no 44 and all 357's! I feel ok, not as secure as then but then I remembered why. The wifey did not like the recoil of the 44's and with out knowing it the herd disappeared over the years. I still prefer the 44's.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    years ago I had all 44 mags and rifle also. Was very happy and felt secure. Years later no 44 and all 357's! I feel ok, not as secure as then but then I remembered why. The wifey did not like the recoil of the 44's and with out knowing it the herd disappeared over the years. I still prefer the 44's.
    I will probably lean towards the 357's for the same reason. Can load here 38 spcl and everyone has fun. Thanks for your input.

Boolit Master
    In a .44 try 6.0 grains of bullseye behind a 200 DEWC. Just about anyone can still have fun with a 44 mag.

Ebner

Boolit Master
    I would go with the 357. for shooting use .38 brass still a lot of it around cheap. .38 saves on lead and powder also. and if you need more steam then .38 you can load 357.

Boolit Man
    I find the thought of pairing a rifle and a pistol doesn't make a whole lot of sense except for the fact that you can use the same brass and reloading dies. You will have to have different loads for each and likely use different projectiles. You'll never be shooting the same loads through both. So what is the big hoopla about it, anyway? Maybe I'd go for a 1911 and a Marlin Camp Carbine because they use the same mag also.
    I just bought my second .44 mag, a Ruger Redhawk stainless 7.5", which is still somewhere between me and the seller. My first .44 is a S&W 1958 pre-29 4-screw which is awesome to shoot, but I wanted one that I didn't have to worry about damaging while out hunting. I love my Ruger 6" .357 Security Six, but lately I've been into shooting my .44 mag more.
    Since I found an 8# jug of Unique locally recently, I've been shooting the Unique 10gr load over a 240gr SWC. Nice medium .44 mag load...