RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with scrap Powder???

We live in Alaska. I have blown up so much dtuff and Never heard a word. Neighbors complained but thats it. I blew up a car I didn't like once with fertilizer.....

That being said, My favotite thing to do with extra powder is, find one of the winchester steel round powder cans with the funnel looking top. Cut a hole about 1/4" in the lid, fill with powder, and install a fuse, build a stand so the lid points down, light the fuse, and stand back. if done right it will make a fine rocket, and if it has enough powder they will go out of site.

I even built a few to blow up once they got so high, but I probably shouldn't talk about such things on the interent.

In Remembrance
    Yup I think you should just put it on your rose bushes.

Boolit Man
    Y'all old timers had it better than us younger guys. My dad(70yrs old) used to tell me stories of what they did as kids. Apparently in the mid 50s a 12 year old could walk in the local hardware store and buy dynamite. Lots of blown up stumps and stunned fish

Boolit Master
    Place in a baggie with a handful of magnesium. Place a small ground bloom firework on top of baggie and light. WOW

Boolit Grand Master
    I burned mine.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned

I saw a youtube video once where a guy took a pound of black powder, put it in an old microwave with a LONG extension cord and set it to cook for like 20 minutes. Pretty spectacular after a few minutes.

Boolit Master
    Garden fertilizer.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master

My dad used to make what he called "homemade fireworks" with them. He would lay it out in a line, then put primers on the line of powder every inch or so. Then he'd light it and step back. The powder would burn like crazy, and cook the primers off as the flame reached each one. POP POP POP!!! Was fun when I was a kid. Dunno about legality these days, so "don't try this at home" and all that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFrox View Post
    My dad used to make what he called "homemade fireworks" with them. He would lay it out in a line, then put primers on the line of powder every inch or so. Then he'd light it and step back. The powder would burn like crazy, and cook the primers off as the flame reached each one. POP POP POP!!! Was fun when I was a kid. Dunno about legality these days, so "don't try this at home" and all that stuff.
    Be kinda spendt these days lol.

Hmm, wonder if tannerite would set it off?
    http://www.tannerite.com/

Boolit Man
    I couldn't get homemade tannerite to set off gasoline while trying to deal with some beaver dams, doubt it would set off powder either

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanGuy View Post
    Ok, for those that say to feed the garden. Please remember that i dont have no rose bushes, no lawns, and such...lol and if i did, they would be completely frozen over about now... And buried in snow.

With all this snow and no risk of fire, now is the time to plan something fun for new years...lol
    Alaska? then MY personal favorite won't help you either.

I like to take a couple of tablespoons of scrap **** powder, poke a hole in a fire ant mound, pour the powder in, and ignite it. No, it's not particularly effective against fire ants, but it does aggravate them to no end.

dale in Louisiana

Now that sounds like fun...lol

Boolit Master
    What ever you decide, DON'T just through it in the trash! Treat it as an excellerent witch it is, a "Static" spark will/can egnite the the dam stuff! So keep it contained for disposal just like one would do a brand new can of powder.
    Being in Alaska I know darn well you understand Static Electricity. Take care.

If you can't resist the erge use it to ignite a brush pile or the like, safely. Be sure to explain all this to your son.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been loading for over 30 yrs and never had any build up of "scrap" powder!
    Maybe you should look at your reloading practices.

Dave C.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Wow Dave.... Never spilled a drop in 30 years???? Much better reloader then I it seems...

Boolit Master

Rather than garden direct, I put it in my compost. Wait till spring, toss it in the compost and mix in. you wouldn't believe how fast it'll re-start your compost after the thaw.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm with Dave, mebbe if I had brushed up and saved every little spill of powder in the last 20+ years, I'd have a cupful or so. Most of the time my bench is clean enough to salvage powder spills to return to the container...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Well, it is just my way i guess... My bench is very clean, but if any powder spills, or a few grains drop out of a measure, or whatever, i never return possible contaminated powder to a clean source... And i clean my bench after every single session. I never leave powder in my measure after casting, or primers in the primer tool... I just dont do it... If i pull a boolit from a botched round, it goes into the scrap can, as there is possibly lube or such mixed in... That is just how i do things... Maybe i am being anal, or to meticulous, but that is how i do things... Prolly the military, or my fathers fault...lol. That being said, it still has taken me a long long long time to get what is in the small powder can... I made a promise to myself a very long time ago, and that is, If i have to ask "I wonder if this will be ok?" Then i would Not shoot it... The practice has served me well over the years...

AG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sbeatty1983 View Post
    Y'all old timers had it better than us younger guys. My dad(70yrs old) used to tell me stories of what they did as kids. Apparently in the mid 50s a 12 year old could walk in the local hardware store and buy dynamite. Lots of blown up stumps and stunned fish
    In 1967 (when I was 17) I walked into the local chemical supply house and requested a quart of oleum (concentrated sulfuric acid), a quart of concentrated nitric acid (you chemists can see where this is heading) and for fun, a gallon of 40% ammonia solution and a pound of iodine crystals. These afforded me hours of education and entertainment.

Today they'd likely get me a visit from Homeland Security.

dale in Louisiana