Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 357 Handi Rifle

Boolit Bub
    Timspawn
    I posted earlier that I had just bought a 357 handi and my results had been inconsistent, I'd been loading for a long COL to get closer to the rifling. I shot 7 rounds today 158 swc pb and 11 g of 2400 (starting load in the manual). I used a medium crimp in the crimping grove. The last five shots went into about 1 1/2 inches at 50 yards. The first 2 shots out of a clean barrel made the group about 2 1/2 inches. I looked through the barrel several times while shooting the group and noted quite a bit of unburned powder still in the barrel. I'm ready for tomorrow with a heavier powder charge and a heavier crimp.

I am using the Lee Factory Crimp die. I am also getting unburned powder left in the barrel.

Boolit Master

You might have to go to a roll crimp die.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Man
    The SAAMI .357 Maximum standards were totally screwed up. I believe the standards are set by the original 'sponsor' of the cartridge. Go to www.bellmtcs.com for a good explanation of the problem. There is a lot of discussion Re the 357 Maximum on the Graybeards forum. Worth reading the experiences of people who have rechambered their .357 Magnum H&R to .357 Maximum using a properly rifle configured reamer. General consensus is that they continue to shoot .357 Magnum very well despite COL differences.

The problem with the SB1 frame is not the pressure. Strength is based on pressure (psi) times area of the chamber (square inches). The SB1 is plenty strong for any SAAMI load. The problem is the oversized firing pin hole. I have an old (pre H&R 1871) gun that was remaindered when the original H&R went bankrupt. It is factory chambered in .357 Maximum. Works fine.

I too have the .357 Handi, bought new this year.

I noticed the chamber is so generous, a .358 sized boolit can drop into a fired case. I tried to fire a .356 TL boolit, unsized, and the load with 2400 power blew out the case, behind the case and into the action and barrel. The fitting of the barrel to the frame is very tight though.

My bore has lots of 'chatter' marks from when they cut the rifling. Also, there is a tight spot around where they put the barrel lug. So far, I've only been able to get it to shoot with HS-6 loads. I wonder if polishing the bore will help?

Where H&R really fell flat, in my opion, is not putting rifle sights on it... and putting a long, heavy barrel on it with a plastic stock. This gun is so barrel heavy, it would not be any fun to take afield. I think it is a little awkward to shoot from the bench to!

My friend said cut down the barrel to the legal minimum. I think he had some good advice there.

I think I would enjoy shooting the Ruger M77/357, or a Rossi in .357 more. Heck, I know I would!

I'm going to commit to this baby though, and make her work. After the sister and brother in law visit this Christmas, this thing is going to the gunsmith for some improvements.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Grand Master
    Four-Sixty

If your bore is that rough, I'd say it needs to go back to H & R.

The only way these companies are going to stop this kind of thing is for them to have to write checks to address the problem(s). That just might get them to tighten up their quality control ?

Boolit Master
    For those interested, the first half of the linked page is pimping out one in tacktikool mode, (ick)
    but the 2nd half of the page has some info on loading various bullets in magnum brass, approaching 357 Max performance
    right down to same powder capacity by seating the bullet out.
    Looks interesting.
    I dont have 357 barrel yet, but I've been wondering about doing what this fellow did with seating out the boolits and using a
    heavy lead projectile like for a 358 Win or Whelen boolit

http://www.metalsmithpro.com/357MagnumRifle.htm

I have two 357maggies

one's chamber is noticably longer than the other. I didn't measure, just dropped a Max brass in....

I'm going to Maxi the shorter chamber to get a proper rifle styly throat/leade

the other will probably get rechambered into something like a 35/30-30 or 35/303, 358Win/356Win (if I can find a rim cutter) or something totally different.
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Buddy

Maybe a 358 JDJ reamer would be just the ticket ?

CPL Lou

Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    I have two 357maggies

one's chamber is noticably longer than the other. I didn't measure, just dropped a Max brass in....

I'm going to Maxi the shorter chamber to get a proper rifle styly throat/leade

the other will probably get rechambered into something like a 35/30-30 or 35/303, 358Win/356Win (if I can find a rim cutter) or something totally different.
    nanuk that 356 /.358 combo is exactly what i've been thinking about as another addition to my Encore. One set of dies 2 different cartridges 1 rimmed 1 rimless in the same bbl. Thinking about letting Bellm make one up for me....neat setup.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by timspawn View Post
    I have some Max brass coming. I took a piece of mag brass and seated a 180 grain boolit just enough to hold it. It chambered and the action closed without the boolit touching the lands. I "may" be able to shoot Max without a rechamber...maybe....we shall see.
    Where did you find brass? I've been looking for months...
    Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 12-05-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Where did you find brass? I've been looking for months...
    Here. I placed a want to buy ad. I had no responses for several days then all of a sudden two members offered me some.

Groo here
    1 Make sure your bullet fits.
    2 use mag primers with slower powder
    3 use a heavy crimp [ with the long bullet jump you need the powder to get going well before the bullet moves
    4 Is the unburned powder you see yellow or black, if black then it is just what is left-if yellow the fire is going out and you need more neck tension/crimp.

Quote Originally Posted by Groo View Post
    Groo here
    1 Make sure your bullet fits.
    2 use mag primers with slower powder
    3 use a heavy crimp [ with the long bullet jump you need the powder to get going well before the bullet moves
    4 Is the unburned powder you see yellow or black, if black then it is just what is left-if yellow the fire is going out and you need more neck tension/crimp.
    As for me, my unburned powder is black.

Boolit Master
    I'm thinkning after Christmas making either another 357 barrel or new 357 Handi in 357 Herrett...I love my pistol and an 18-20" version should be sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by CPL Lou View Post

CPL Lou

I'm not much of a pistol shot but I had a TC in 357 Herett that I could shoot lights out!

Quote Originally Posted by CPL Lou View Post

CPL Lou
    thought about that, but am always concerned with brass... but I don't know why, as I don't shoot enough anymore to wear any out.

I do have a 358Win reamer....
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Four sixty, I agree totally. One of the endearing traits of this type of rifle is that it is usually slim light weight, and free of bulky sighting equipment. In the SB2 .357 H&R managed to avoid all three!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.