RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cost of making Ben's Red?......

Boolit Master
    I get raw beeswax from a local beekeeper at $5/lb. Our local Menard's sells the R&T for $3.98 a tube, (which is a lot cheaper than other places) and STP for under $3.

Boolit Grand Master
    Make it on the kitchen stove and see what the REAL cost is. Bet the Mrs will let you know loud and clear.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Make it on the kitchen stove and see what the REAL cost is. Bet the Mrs will let you know loud and clear.
    I've said this about 100 times, let's make it 101 :

I do not recommend that anyone make Ben's Red inside your home !

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    I know Ben, but there is always that one guy......

Mine was made in the garage, doors wide open.

Now making a grease from ATF and sodium stearate on the stove, not my brightest moment in life.......

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not responsible for domestic violence and full blown divorce because of people's persistence in making Ben's Red in the kitchen.

It isn't good for your health. I'm not talking about you smelling the fumes. I'm talking about what that woman is going to do to you !.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine kicked me to the patio for all future lube making. She did buy me a big tote to put all the makings in. I think that was a way to get the stuff off her counter.

Women are far smarter than we think. Fortunately my wife is pretty darn tolerant of this stuff.

This is all good to know...
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    Lube making can save you good money......the trick is to not let the "alchemist" in you take over and go all nutsy cuckoo. If that happens you will fall over the cliff and learn things you never knew you needed to know.
    Whatcha trying to say there Bub???
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    Whatcha trying to say there Bub???
    Now that there is funny...thank you I needed that, but those few selected souls on here that have large rubbermaid tubs full of lube(s) and several 3 ring binders full of notes laying about know exactly what I was sayin. Boolit lube need not be all that slick, but it sure makes for a slippery slope to travel and it is real easy to lose your footing and fall off the path if one is not careful.

Boolit Master
    I was in Auto zone last night when I heard this Psssst.. Pssst... I turned around and it was the last and only tube of Lucas red n tackey #2.
    I looked around some more, Nobody ! Well I figured it was just calling me to make some Ben's red. So fer $5.88 14oz. tube out the door we went. STP at wally world was $2.89 small 15oz bottle. Paste wax already at home and ATF always have open bottle in the garage.
    I'll keep ya posted. Maybe new years eve wont be so boring after all !

Mike

Boolit Buddy
    Waco, be forewarned, Be on the lookout for the swarm of bees!!!

It was a very warm an beautiful day here in SoCal. So I took a pot of "Felix" lube that I had made up last winter an put it upon my little hot plate. I'm out side on the porch, the pot is smoking away( I really don't care for the smell of Beeswax), an to my surprise there appears a swarm, I mean a whole lot of theses little M@#$@%^%&, sorry, attacking the pot and myself. I grabbed my little handy dandy torch an was able to retreat safely into my abode, at which point I flipped the breaker for the pot. I'm very thankful that I'm not an owner of a flamethrower as my house an the ones close by would be smoldering ash at this moment. I will be buying my lube until I get a screened in porch.

Ghost101