RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What a cool 44 cal design...

This takes the design a step farther....
    Attachment 88834
    And these.... Used today by the south african special police.
    Attachment 88835
    These are the head stamps in the above order.
    Attachment 88836

I hindsight, i wish i had not mentioned the b word (bear)... It was just a thought spoken out loud when pondering what something like the above would to all of that bone and muscle... I was more interested in the penetration a boolit like that could do, and the interesting design... It looks cool, and would be fun to test with various different materials... Not to hunt with...lol. It represents a dang fun time at the range if you ask me... bring your own engine core to test with it....lol

AG
    Last edited by AlaskanGuy; 11-28-2013 at 02:01 AM.

Boolit Master

I've got an extra one if you want it. Bought it at Dixons muzzleloader shop in PA. in the late 90's. Found it hiding on the back side of a shelf. It's brand new in the box - never cast with. Will have to look and see what I gave for it. I think the price tag is still on the box. Would maybe ask $10 more than I paid for it + shipping. Let me know and I will try and dig it out after the holidays
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    I started casting in 1973 when I bought a friend's lead pot, sizer and assortment of molds. One of these molds is a 4 cavity Lyman 35793 (still have it), the smaller brother to your 44 pattern. I worked with this boolit in 9mm and 38 Spl. and got only fair group accuracy. I have always preferred a heavier projectile in revolvers but this thread has me thinking about trying this boolit with the 357 Magnum just to see if I can get it to cooperate. It should be fun to experiment with various alloy blends, hardness treating, sizing diameters and different powders to look for boolit group size responses.
    Thin Man

They still owe me a mold that was never delivered too.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bhn22 View Post
    NOE has a few available at a much more reasonable price than the collectors market. Personally, I feel that design would royally suck on live game. Some people call that design "the penetrator". I don't see why. I'd expect the point to flatten out a bit, and essentially turn the bullet into a poorly formed semi round nosed wadcutter, limiting penetration. Also, the weights are a bit light for my tastes. Now, if it were used as a wadcutter, for target use, it's likely to shine in that application, especially if speedloaders are involved. All told, I'm still in Elmer Keiths camp for hunting bullets.
    I'm with you on Keith style SWCs for hunting. You get a lot of weight, good penetration, great wound cavity, and you can make it at home! I've been wanting to get a .357 lever action and take a deer with a hot Keith SWC load.

Boolit Master
    Go over to marlinowners.com and do some reading. Those guys love a 357 1894 and 170+ grain boolits. Back to original topic. My 429421s in a Contender out-penetrated 357 armor piercing in another contender barrel on concrete and engine blocks at a local dumping spot.

Boolit Buddy
    I know a guy that has this for his 44. Shots at the range I do. Looks neat. Says it shots great at distance. But that is all its good for.

Now just thinking. I would love something like this for my 10mm. Cast super hard. For penetrating vests. For my shtf stash.

Quote: "Out of stock - buy you can see ours here
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...products_id=65

Swede Nelson"

I check in from time to time on that one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ctious View Post
    I would love something like this for my 10mm. Cast super hard. For penetrating vests. For my shtf stash.
    I'm thinking about it. I want to get the 170/150wfn finished first. Then I'll start a discussion on new design ideas for the 40cal.