Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinion of newer Winchester levers

Boolit Grand Master

Opinion of newer Winchester levers

Went by my LGS and they had a new Winchester 1892 in 45LC. It was a saddle ring carbine style. I enjoyed the handling of it. I don't mind the tang safety. The rebounding hammer was different and reminded me of my Sigs.

What's the concensus of these newer Winnies?

Looking to pick one up next spring as a range and fun gun with the possibility of using it for hunting if the urge strikes to use it.

The quality, fit & finish of the Miroku-made (Japanese) "Winchesters" are the very best ever offered on those rifles, excepting the rifles put out by the old Winchester Custom Shop in New Haven.

You'd have a pretty good chance of getting struck............

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

I'm familiar with the Mirokus. Have 3 between my father and I. While I agree they are better, I can't find any locally and prefer to look a gun over prior to dropping money on them.

Boolit Buddy
    I just got an 1886 and the fit and finish are great. I need to put a peep sight on it though, my old eyes just can't do those buckhorns anymore. I think it will be pretty accurate once I've done so, my first round of test loads looked promising even without being able to obtain a good sight picture.

Boolit Grand Master

I've found the Miroku 1886 much easier to find than the 92s. I'll just keep looking for a Miroku for now and let this one collect dust and it no one buys it over the next few months, I'll be able to make a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Went by my LGS and they had a new Winchester 1892 in 45LC. It was a saddle ring carbine style. I enjoyed the handling of it. I don't mind the tang safety. The rebounding hammer was different and reminded me of my Sigs.

What's the concensus of these newer Winnies?

Looking to pick one up next spring as a range and fun gun with the possibility of using it for hunting if the urge strikes to use it.
    Winnie ???? Isn't that the sound a horse makes?
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master

I don't know about the "Winchester Custom Shop" but I have owned original Winchester model 92 in .25-20, .32-20, 44-40, and a .357 Magnum conversion.

I now own a "Made in Japan" Model 92 in .357 Magnum.

The "Made in Japan" model is significantly higher quality in every respect than the originals.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

If this thing has the rebounding hammer, you will be sorry.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    If this thing has the rebounding hammer, you will be sorry.
    Can you elaborate why? Just curious and eager to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    I don't know about the "Winchester Custom Shop" but I have owned original Winchester model 92 in .25-20, .32-20, 44-40, and a .357 Magnum conversion.

I now own a "Made in Japan" Model 92 in .357 Magnum.

The "Made in Japan" model is significantly higher quality in every respect than the originals.
    This in spades! For one thing they are made using modern CNC equipment by folks with talent on how to use the equipment and care about what they produce.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    I bought a 32-20 long barrel Winoku 92 Take Down model. The gun is a gem. I like tang safeties and the rebound hammer has performed flawlessly but some do report light primer hits. The fix is simple, here is a link from the forum. The system illustrated matches my 92. I decided to wait until my warranty ran out and have yet to do it as it turned out to be a non-issue for my rifle. Mine was not drilled for receiver sights.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...r-Fix-Tutorial

I am very pleased with my rifle and I had to pay extra to get it imported at the time. My 1950s 94 is a well loved rifle but it does not compare in fit and finish but it is a wonderful rifle. One thing, my 24" barrel 32-20 is quite barrel heavy with the long octagon barrel and small hole. The little 92 action levers smooth and 32-20 is a joy to shoot, very cast friendly. In fact my factory ammo is a lead bullet!

Boolit Grand Master

About one of every 3 Winchester rifles with the rebounding hammer has problems with light primer strikes and verticle stringing. I don't know how many of these I have had to either modify or tune to get reliable ignition. The 1886's seem to be the worst. Personaly i would rather have a rifle with a little less fit and finish that went bang every time.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My 2002 Winchester 94 had the rebounding hammer and it positively smashed primers. Had an awesome 3 pound trigger pull too. Unfortunately it looked like it had been assembled and finished by a caveman. My Dad's Browning BLR is made by Miroku and is top notch in every respect, I don't think FN Herstal could've done better.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    This is interesting. Some people really like them and others seem to think that 33% of them will be junk. I can't wait to find out which category mine fits into. I think I'll have a chance to find out tomorrow.

Boolit Master
    I've bought five 45-70s over the last three years. One is a Win/Miruko High Wall and another is a Win/Miruko 1886. Of all the guns I've ever owned, and that's a lot of guns, these two have been my absolute favorites. A little pricey but worth every penny in my opinion. If, and I say "if", you have a problem with light primer strikes due to the rebounding hammer, it's an easy fix. Most of the griping about the rebounding hammer is really a complaint about having a tang safety and nothing else. The same BS you hear about the Marlin cross bolt safety. Get the Winchester and enjoy shooting it. My High Wall shoots MOA consistantly and the 1886 will do five shots in 1.3-1.5" at a measured 114 yards on a regular basis. Not too shabby for a lever gun.

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    I'll agree with this. I have a Miroku made 1886 in 45-70 and it's obvious to anyone that it's a very well made unit. Function wise I have no problem with the rebounding hammer other than it makes the action cycling sound a bit different from the original. I like a tang safety, my first rifle was a Ruger M77 so it's familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    . Most of the griping about the rebounding hammer is really a complaint about having a tang safety and nothing else. The same BS you hear about the Marlin cross bolt safety. .
    Truer words were never spoken. I have the Marlin 336 with the crossbolt safety. It is convenient and affects nothing. Just a safety feature there to use or not.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master

My 1886 Extra Lite is a BEAUTIFULLY MADE pain in the butt. The redesign for the
    rebounding hammer and locked firing pin made it extremely unreliable and inaccurate
    due to very inconsistent primer strikes. The 'warranty station' warned me that I would
    not see the gun for 3 months and they wouldn't change anything. I modified the
    rebounding hammer (hammer is dramatically lightened to use the thumb safety) and
    reworked the locking firing pin and have it semi-reliable. Beautiful but marginally
    useful, I plan on building a new solid firing pin one day to try to salvage it. I may even
    add some weight to the *** hammer to try to get it back up to proper John Browning
    weight. IMO, a great Browning design nearly ruined by idiot modern 'lawyer engineers'
    and extremely well made by Japanese manufacturers.

Anybody that says the tang safety is a fake problem is uninformed a best. I think this the
    perfect location for a safety, and if it didn't RUIN the reliability, it would be a wonderful
    thing. Sadly, it is an idiotic design and takes a VERY LARGE amount of energy out of the
    hammer blow by both massively lightening the hammer and substantially shortening the
    hammer spring effective stroke. Add in a locking firing pin that also absorbs a bunch of the reduced
    hammer blow and you get inconsistent ignition and 18" tall by 2" wide "groups" at 100 yds with loads
    the produce 1-2" round groups with my Marlin. The rebounding hammer and locking firing
    pin are absolutely junk. Firing pin indentations are very shallow where my Marlin has wide
    and deep firing pin hits.

As to the Marlin crossbolt safety, the comment was made - "It is convenient and affects nothing" -
    Sorry sir, this is baloney. It affects the ability of the gun to fire when the trigger is intentionally
    pulled when hunting.

I lost a shot at a really nice impala when the stupid crossbolt safety in my Marlin Guide Gun
    was accidentally engaged. I don't particularly like the looks, but the issue is that it can be
    accidentally engaged and will not stop the hammer from falling, and making a VERY loud
    click that will scare away the game. Looks, again, has nothing to do with the fact that it is
    a problematic design in a hunting rifle. If it blocked the trigger or somehow prevented the hammer
    from falling, it would be OK with me. I am not opposed to safety devices that WORK and do
    not make the gun less useful. As it is, it is a PITA shot-wrecking noisemaker.

And NO, original Winchester 1886 parts will NOT fit.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 11-02-2013 at 12:35 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Holy cow Bill. Mine is an extra light and I have never had any reliability issues. Also had one of my best groups ever, as in extremely surprised when I seen the target, with that rifle.

Edit: After some searching I feel lucky. Fair amount of threads here and everywhere involving misfires.

Found a post from 2010 where a guy called Turnbull up and they did removal of the tang safety, welding and modification of the hammer for half-cock.
    Last edited by Kull; 11-02-2013 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    My 1886 Extra Lite is a BEAUTIFULLY MADE pain in the butt. The redesign for the
    rebounding hammer and locked firing pin made it extremely unreliable and inaccurate
    due to very inconsistent primer strikes. The 'warranty station' warned me that I would
    not see the gun for 3 months and they wouldn't change anything. I modified the
    rebounding hammer (hammer is dramatically lightened to use the thumb safety) and
    reworked the locking firing pin and have it semi-reliable. Beautiful but marginally
    useful, I plan on building a new solid firing pin one day to try to salvage it. I may even
    add some weight to the *** hammer to try to get it back up to proper John Browning
    weight. IMO, a great Browning design nearly ruined by idiot modern 'lawyer engineers'
    and extremely well made by Japanese manufacturers.

Anybody that says the tang safety is a fake problem is uninformed a best. I think this the
    perfect location for a safety, and if it didn't RUIN the reliability, it would be a wonderful
    thing. Sadly, it is an idiotic design and takes a VERY LARGE amount of energy out of the
    hammer blow by both massively lightening the hammer and substantially shortening the
    hammer spring effective stroke. Add in a locking firing pin that also absorbs a bunch of the reduced
    hammer blow and you get inconsistent ignition and 18" tall by 2" wide "groups" at 100 yds with loads
    the produce 1-2" round groups with my Marlin. The rebounding hammer and locking firing
    pin are absolutely junk. Firing pin indentations are very shallow where my Marlin has wide
    and deep firing pin hits.

As to the Marlin cross bolt safety, the comment was made - "It is convenient and affects nothing" -
    Sorry sir, this is baloney. It affects the ability of the gun to fire when the trigger is intentionally
    pulled when hunting.

I lost a shot at a really nice impala when the stupid crossbolt safety in my Marlin Guide Gun
    was accidentally engaged. I don't particularly like the looks, but the issue is that it can be
    accidentally engaged and will not stop the hammer from falling, and making a VERY loud
    click that will scare away the game. Looks, again, has nothing to do with the fact that it is
    a problematic design in a hunting rifle. If it blocked the trigger or somehow prevented the hammer
    from falling, it would be OK with me. I am not opposed to safety devices that WORK and do
    not make the gun less useful. As it is, it is a PITA shot-wrecking noisemaker.

And NO, original Winchester 1886 parts will NOT fit.

Bill
    Bill having an IQ over 80 I have no trouble not engaging the safety when I want to shoot. Kinda like with most guns that come with a safety. For those visually or mentally disadvantaged I concede taking the gun off safety or putting the safety on when one shouldn't have it on could present some difficulties.

Would it not be just as easy to sell the gun and buy one that meets your requirements. If you dislike cross bolt safeties why buy a gun with one. Seems to me there are a lot of choices out there. There are a lot of ways to raise your blood pressure and aggravate yourself. Why make owning a gun one of them?

I have to add safeties when applied prevent the gun from firing, seems to me that is why they are there. Nothing new there, did you expect them to perform a different task? Applies when you are hunting or just plinking at the range.

Take Care

Bob