MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Avg life of a Lee Mold if taken care of ?

Boolit Master

I've have several 2-cavities from the 1980's, I don't treat them gently, open the sprue plate with a piece of old hammer handle or shovel handle, and have cast thousands from each of them. They still align properly and work great. I do keep the alignment pins on all my molds lubed.

Boolit Master
    Been using them since the early 1970's. Haven't worn one out yet.

You measure a molds life span in number of bullets cast, not years you own one. I have maybe 3K thru one of my 6cav molds, it's still going fine. The few 2cavs I have get used very little. With Lee, get a good one, treat it nice, it will probably outlast you. Get a bad one, treat it poorly, it's gonna fail sooner than later.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Bub
    I just received mine lee 2 cavity molds 45acp/30-30 two weeks ago. After the first 50+ attempts too hot/ cold etc. I have 200---45 / 300---30-30

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    You measure a molds life span in number of bullets cast, not years you own one. I have maybe 3K thru one of my 6cav molds, it's still going fine. The few 2cavs I have get used very little. With Lee, get a good one, treat it nice, it will probably outlast you. Get a bad one, treat it poorly, it's gonna fail sooner than later.
    <<<<<+1>>>>>

Boolit Mold
    YhI have a lee 2 cavity mold that casts 124 gr rn .356/9mm. After casting a little over 500 bullets the blocks no longer align properly. The blocks line up properly on the vertical plane but not laterally. I tried to close the mold on a flat surface to make sure that the blocks align themselves vertically (which was never a problem) and squared the blocks laterally by pushing the mold into a flat piece of steel and that reduced the misalignment but the problem persists. I don't consider myself as a mold abuser but can honestly say that I didn't baby he mold either. I routinely lubed the sprue and mold alignment pins and used a wooden dowel to strike the sprue. I also tapped the handle to knock the bullets out and have never struck the blocks. Either I'm doing something wrong, got a bad mold, the mold is too delicate or a combination of all three.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Farknocker View Post
    YhI have a lee 2 cavity mold that casts 124 gr rn .356/9mm. After casting a little over 500 bullets the blocks no longer align properly. The blocks line up properly on the vertical plane but not laterally. I tried to close the mold on a flat surface to make sure that the blocks align themselves vertically (which was never a problem) and squared the blocks laterally by pushing the mold into a flat piece of steel and that reduced the misalignment but the problem persists. I don't consider myself as a mold abuser but can honestly say that I didn't baby he mold either. I routinely lubed the sprue and mold alignment pins and used a wooden dowel to strike the sprue. I also tapped the handle to knock the bullets out and have never struck the blocks. Either I'm doing something wrong, got a bad mold, the mold is too delicate or a combination of all three.
    Lee's 10-15-13 response to my inquiry:

Based on your description, it sounds as though the mold may have been overheated, causing the alignment pins to float. The pins can be driven back into position when the mold is cold and can then be staked into place. A tell tale sign the mold has been over heated, is the male and female alignment pins have changed color, temper.
    If you are unable to get the pins realigned, return the mold and we can repair it, if it is not repairable, it will be replaced for a new mold at half price.

I'll try to adjust the alignment pins and see what happens