Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Found a beauty today

Boolit Man

Found a beauty today

Yup went to the local shop and found a marlin 308 XMLR. All stainless with a nikon monarch scope on top. The guy wants $600.00 for it I'm willing to bet that I can get him down abit from that price. I was looking at a browning BAR but this will do all the hunting I need for about half the price. Any info on that cartridge and model would be greatly appreciated. I looked on the marlin web sight but I don't have any experience with that cartridge. Thank you in advance.

AFAIK, the .308 Marlin limns the .307 Winchester, as they're basically a rimmed version of the (rimless) .308 Winchester, loaded down slightly due to respect for levergun's springier receivers & locking systems (as opposed to a boltgun or an autoloader).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I recently got a slightly used 308MX and have been working up CB loads for it. As for brass I have a few hundred Hornady and have also been sizing some new Winchester .307 for use in this rifle. So far accuracy is good but not yet satisfied and more work needs to be done. I am slowly collecting CT made Marlin's and this is another addition.

Boolit Man
    Thank you all for the info I think I'll go pick it up tomorrow. Sounds like a good rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

AFAIK, the .308 Marlin limns the .307 Winchester, as they're basically a rimmed version of the (rimless) .308 Winchester, loaded down slightly due to respect for levergun's springier receivers & locking systems (as opposed to a boltgun or an autoloader).
    Not all lever guns. Browning BLR lever takes full power .308's, .358's, etc.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    Not all lever guns. Browning BLR lever takes full power .308's, .358's, etc.
    And the belted magnums, 7mmRM, 300WM
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

In Remembrance
    M99 savage, not equaled since 1895. lol

The 308mx and the 338 mx are sure tempting though.

Boolit Man
    99's are a litlle hard to come by in my area and most that I've seen are really beat. I've always had a hankerin for a good 250-3000 but never got around to getting one. I agree the M99 is a sweet rifle.

In Remembrance
    . I've always had a hankerin for a good 250-3000 but never got around to getting one. I agree the M99 is a sweet rifle.

I've had the same hankering for awhile too, just haven't run across the right deal (while I had the cash to do something about it.
    I have the dies and components in anticipation though. lol

In Remembrance
    Well this thread is costly, a 308mx followed me home from the gun show today. lol
    It came with 60 rounds of factory ammo and 80 cases, supposedly all he had fired through it.

Now I need some dies for yet another caliber. lol
    blikseme what boolits are you playing with??