Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Only Lever Gun

Boolit Bub

My Only Lever Gun

A Winchester 1895 factory chambered in 7.62X54R.

I must like my shoulder being licked in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix310461826.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	83944

Boolit Master

Real nice treasure there.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

You want to trade for something softer kicking?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Nice rifle !
    Have a 1895 30 Gov and shoot 220 grainers regular when I am up north there. Try sitting upright when you shoot it. I shoot some nasty recoiling brutes sitting behind cross sticks. Weighed myself this morning.. 151 pounds. Sitting upright gets the recoil into the shoulder "pocket" shoving the upper torso back. Body pivots with the recoil not gettingsmashed on the collar bone.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Treasure is right - many thousands were made, but most went to Russia, from where they never returned..................

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    very cool. that caliber and .303 British are what i've wanted in the 1895 for a long time

Boolit Master
    ONE levergun? I cry for you. Now you need a '73, '76, '86, '92 and a '94. After that, you start on one in each caliber offered. After that carbines.......

There's no end to it.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

Anyone can have on in 06!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Weddle View Post
    Don't stop there. You need a Volcanic, a Spencer, a Evans Repeating Rifle cal.44 in 28/32 round capacity, and a Savage 99.
    I'm short the Volcanic.
    Too bad I didn't know that 3 years ago. I sold a carbine that my father had converted from Rocket Ball to cycle and fire a .41 short.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1887 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	83969

As you can see it needed a stock and butt plate, but the rest was in extremely good condition.

Despite knowing that it has a good home. It still pained me to have to sell her.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning Smokeywolf
    That is a beauty also.. 41 Rimfire would be a wonder to get to take out and pop a groundhog with.
    Mike in Peru

Boolit Buddy
    Those 95's were known to be seen among the ground even in Korea.

Boolit Master
    missionary5155, The brass used for the cartridges are 41 Colt cut down to .410 +.000 -.010 (center fire).

Bill, I'm quite sure I can borrow it back for measurements. There is a fellow that built one of these in his home machine shop using stainless for the receiver.
    It would be a fun project, but if I'm going to be absolutely honest with myself, I doubt I'll ever get to it.
    I have a sear for a '86 Winchester that's been waiting to be machined for well over a year now.

The Rocket Ball wouldn't work today for the same reasons that it didn't work in the mid 1850s; not enough room for powder, not dependable, chamber sealing/leading, and primer difficulties.

smokeywolf

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I think Pancho Villa really liked the 1895s, especially the carbines- probably some were 30-40s. But given the times and situation, he probably grabbed any working gun and ammo he could get.

Oh and BTW gandog, that 95 in 7.62x54R looks pretty good! Was it modified for the front globe or hood and was an extra hole drilled in the tang for mounting the tang sight? That caliber shouldn't be too bad about recoil with any reasonable load. Just use a pad or add a lace-on butt cover. The ones that will get your attention in the 95 are the full house heavy bullet 30-06, 35 Win and 405 Win. Plus, it's not good to run full house loads in them anyway- it's well known many in 30-06 have developed some excess headspace from shooting too much hi intensity ammo.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 10-11-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon Smokey
    41 Colt (even short) would make that 10x better. That magazine would hold what.. 20 rounds.
    Mike in Peru

Boolit Master
    Never did load the mag to capacity. But if that's not right on, it's real close.

smokeywolf

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    gandog56,

Nice lever gun! I have one built in 1900 and chambered for the 405 WCF. It can get your attention from the bench which is why I don't fire it from the bench.. Load work up is done from a sitting position with or without cross sticks. I have settled on a load that comes close to duplicating the 40-72 and reserve the factory stuff for the rare charging rhino! ACtually, offhand it is not too bad.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    As for the thread drift portion, sign me up for one chambered in 45 ACP! Stainless or bronze would work!
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master

Beware the man with one rifle.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Your 1895 is indeed a treasure. Thanks for sharing the pix here.

I fell in love with 1895's back when I thought that they were eligible for CAS long range use. Then I read the rules and found out that box mags were ineligible after all.

Since then I've been sort of sideways looking for one in .303 British since those are more likely to be found up my way here north of the 49'th. But one like YOURS would sure sit well alongside my threesome of Mosin Nagants. I've even got dies for reloading the 7.62x54R.

If you get the time please post about your range sessions so I and others like me can live vicariously through your own efforts....
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....