RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox

Thread: Pan lubing

Boolit Bub

Pan lubing

I have seen several different way to warm up your lube for your bullets for pan lubing. I have seen hot plates used and a Double boiler. Any suggestion on which one you prefer. I have not made up my decision yet and I am still looking for some advise.

Thanks Pappy

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.

I like TAC#1 for lubing, but I dip.

I don't pan lube, but I do melt it using the condiment-cup-double-boiler system. It's a good way to not scorch your lube. You could also use a tuna or cat food can, or even a soup can if you wanted a lot of lube. Just gently boil the can in a bigger pan of water. Then I dip the boolit with pliers. (That green lumpy stuff in the cup is the lube melting, it's almost ready) and... it doubles as a nice potpourri!

Punch em out with whatever cake cutter you like. It's kinda messy and it does take a lot of wiping of the cutter during use.... but it's really darn cheap!

It's best to run em through the Lee sizer again after cutting out.... it really cleans em up.
    (Right is fresh dipped, left side is after cutting and sizing)

Then..... Shoot em! It wouldn't be much different if you pan lube. You'd just pour the melted lube into a pan of warmed boolits and when it cools, just punch out however way you select, and clean em up. Happy Shooting!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

Pan Lube

I pan lube using a silicon bread pan. I melt the lube using a hotplate and a double boiler setup of an old 2 quart pan about half full of water with a 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup full of my lube formula. I use this setup both for making the lube and remelting it to pour.

I never set the hotplate above the "Warm" setting as that is enough to melt without scorching. while it is melting, setup up your bullets in the bread pan leaving about a quarter inch space between each bullet. Too close and it will strip the lube off of adjacent bullets when you punch then out. pour in the lube, wait for it to cool a couple of hours, of if you are impatient, slap it in the refrigeration after it returns to room temperate for about 10 minutes. Don't put a warm lube pan in the frig as this promotes food spoilage and food poisoning is a VERY bad thing (I speak from experience on this one. Trust me.). Once cool, the lube cake will practically fall out of the pan into your hand and you just push the bullets out. I have found pushing from the top gives me the best results but try it wither way to see what works for you.

Boolit Master

I'm with you Beagle333! I do the same with Lar's BAC Lube in an old pie tin. I use an old small part retriever with the wire "fingers" to pick up the warm boolits after they've been dipped and do the same size operation as you do. Its a great process without having to break out my Lyman 45.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I use a double boiler for mixing and melting more lube for the pan.

Once I have cut the boolits from the lube in the pan I sit the next batch in the holes and place the pan in the oven on low heat for a few minutes.

By the time I've sized one batch the next lot is cool and ready for cutting.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the info out there. I have seen many different ways to melt your lube from a hot plate, double boiler, crock pot, hair dryer, and an oven. My wife had an old crock pot in the cabinet so I thought I would give that a try first since she does not need it any more. I am planning on getting some lead bullets with the diameter of .510 and .511 to try out first in the 50/90 sharps. I was told the heavier the better on the weight. the twist is 1/22. So I thought I would try some 515 grain flat nose and a saco 600 grain flat nose. I plan on using them for hunting. After I determined which one shoot well in my sharps i will be ordering a mold.

Boolit Grand Master

I use the oven method 'cause I like the bullets and the lube to reach the same temp so the lube sticks better. I rarely melt lube except for when I mix some up and then I use a "double boiler" type set-up (a small stainless bowl sitting inside a pan of water, which will hold about a quart of lube). I cut up lube into chunks and set them around the bullets standing up in the pan and pop into a toaster oven for mebbe 20 minutes @ 175-200 degrees. Next batch goes into the holes left from the cut-out bullets. Works quite well for me...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I use silicon cake pans I picked up at goodwill. An old crock pot my wife gave me. Felix world famous lube adjusted with carnuba & slightly more beeswax. Stand the sized boolits in pan pour lube in as soon as it solidifies remove the block boolits & all from the pan & pop the boolits out the bottom by pushing the top. I get very few rejects by pushing them through as soon as the lube solidifies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PAN LUBE.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	81246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RDEE 270.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	81248

I only do that for magnum handgun & rifle over 1500-1600fps anything less gets tumble lubed because its to easy to ignore.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

I use a small electric coffee pot with darr's lube. Easy to pour into the pan.

Quote Originally Posted by 55BoysATR View Post
    I use a small electric coffee pot with darr's lube. Easy to pour into the pan.
    That's a good idea