Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do muzzleloader matches work?

Boolit Master

well I'm all set to go have my fun. But I have to ask, my flints will probably shoot 50 times without me touching them, then I start having to fiddle with them every 10 shots or so. Well, I got ONE fail to ignite at the range last week which means I've reached the stage in this flint life I'm gonna have to start taking tiny chunks off to get the next 40 shots out of it or so.

In short, my confidence is very high that this weekend, on the line, I'm gonna have a couple shots fail to light. Besides the other guys laughing at me, what do they normally do at matches? let me clear the pan, quick knapp the flint then and there, recharge, and go? is that SOP?

And I hope I can fire a shot or two at 25y before starting, that would be fantastic. No idea where my ball is gonna hit at 25. Maybe I should ask you guys, based on YOUR EXPERIENCE. If I have a 58 cal that shoots a round ball at 1500 fps with 80 grains of 3F, hits dead on at 50, a few inches low at 100 (4-6" ish? 5-7ish?), where would you expect to be at 25 yards? I'll probably aim dead center and let the chips fall where they may anyways, but what have you guys experienced?

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere on this forum is a link to a round ball ballistic calculator. You should have enough data for using it to predict the 25 yard POI.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Boolit Master

cool, downloaded that months ago. ill try it.

Boolit Master

ok, got it. .2 inches high..... OK I think I will just aim dead on at 25

Boolit Grand Master

Over at muzzleloadingforum.com they usually do a postal match every month. it's free except for postage. They just tell you what to use for a target and the rules. One thing I like almost as much as shooting at the club I used to belong was the stories. Unlike regular shooting where you just shoot, shoot, shoot you are loading and people talking and exchanging stories while shooting and of coarse someone gets distracted and forgets the powder first.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

If you shoot a flinter and never have a clatch, well it ain't going to happen. My favorite match, trade gun with shot on clays, the target is scored wether the gun fires or not. Flint management is a key part of the sport, but klatches happen.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Buddy
    Where I have shot muzzleloader matches, you have the option as to when you fire on your "Record" target. In other words, you can take off-record shots at a separate target before shooting for record. I haven't shot enough moatches at different clubs to know if that is universally the case.

50 shots from a flint is pretty good performance from my experience. Keep in mind, there are a lot of reasons why your rifle might not fire, besides issues with the rock's condition. Somewhere around the net is a tutorial on how to make a small knapping tool out of a big nail. I keep one handy, along with a (very) small hammer and lightly re-knap a flint without removing it from the lock if it appears to be damaged during a relay. In match shooting, develop a routine between shots that involves picking the vent and wiping both your frizzen face and flint between EVERY shot. I'm down in the hot humid South. Some folks may not have the moisture issues we have to contend with down here and will tell you none of that is necessary. I'm just telling you what it takes 'round here. Your location and experience may differ.
    It's easier to maintain your concentration during a relay if you keep to a routine and do everything possible to insure 100% reliability of your equipment. When you bring your rifle up to take a shot for record...the LAST thing that should be going through your mind is wondering if she's gonna go off.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Guido4198 View Post
    When you bring your rifle up to take a shot for record...the LAST thing that should be going through your mind is wondering if she's gonna go off.
    If you want to get good with your rock lock use it to squirrel hunt with. Even if it is a 50 cal use a 38 Spl case as a powder measure to start with. You may have to cut it down some to find the perfect charge, but be it rifle or trade gun you will figure out how to avoid misfires as much as possible by hunting small game. I have found that even with a trade gun and shot squirrels running through the tree tops will help you prep for just about any match.

Best wishes

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma