RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Have Wolf Primers Been Discontinued?

Have Wolf Primers Been Discontinued?

I noticed that Wideners has stopped listing Wolf primers. Are they no longer available to our market? Tula primers, which are made in the same plant, are still available at a number of businesses. Just wondering......
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Boolit Master
    I think so, not certain. Back in '08 it was discovered that some lots of Wolf primers were defective and wouldn't fire, or wouldn't fire reliably. The first customers to report the issue got refunds almost no-questions-asked because it would have been too expensive to have the defective product shipped back with haz-mat fees. Once word got out some people were reportedly abusing the situation and Wolf stopped giving out refunds. The folks who bought defective Wolf primers by the case were SOL. Then of course no one wanted to buy Wolf primers because no one trusted them. Even up till last year when CCI primers were going for $30/k + shipping, Wideners still had some Wolf left on the shelf that they couldn't move at $15/k. Deal of the decade if you ask me but I didn't have the money at the time to throw down for more bulk primers.

Anyway, long story short, I think the Wolf brand changed their name to TULA. They had to.

Boolit Master

I bought and used 10,000 Wolf LPP and they all worked fine. I now have some TULA primers and exect them all to work fine also, we'll see.

Boolit Master
    Crud... You mean we are not going to see any more $16 for thousand deals??? Bummer.

I have used allot of them. No significant problems. I did buy a few miss labeled Boxes from Graff's
    They were SRM primers miss labeled as Large Pistol. Graffs stuck a sticker on them and sold with a discount.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I'm glad I got 15,000 LR primers then. I think they are great.

Buddy got one box of weak ones that hang fire a bit on cases full of medium to slow powders, but they're fine with fast burning powders in cast loads. He dumped 'em on me for free. I'll also take that all day; they shoot great with cast lead and mild charges.

Last fall was the last time I bought LPP and the shop was getting 40.00$ for a 1000. Nothing like getting raped.
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

Boolit Master
    I will be really sad

Boolit Master

Obama signed an executive order not long ago that ban importation of gun related items into the US.
    Might have something to do with it.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    I am trying to remember but I think there was only one major importer of wolf primers and anyone I had spoke to last year about getting more in all said NO MORE!

Boolit Master

I have used them without a problem and am gonna miss getting to use them in the future.

Due to heavily reduced imports of US made primers (thank you Mr. Obama !) we hardly can buy decent amounts of primers (like powders & bullets). And if so at huge prices.

Wolf/Tula is keeping lots of their primers now for the European market. No thanks to the hoarding primers and powders in US, what can be expected these days. So we like to keep on reloading in Europe as well, we generally like the American equipment and components better, but we need this stuff our self. Tula is one of the many European companies who do so.

At this time in my country it's easier to buy a winning lottery ticket than a couple thousend CCI, Federal or Remington primers!
    Over 27 years experience reloading ammo, specialy with VithaVuori powders and black powder ammo.
    I frequently reload: .45ACP / .44MAG / .357MAG / .357 Maximum / .38 Special / .45-70 / .45-120 / .50-70 / .50-110 / 12,7x44R (and similar European obsolete BP ammo)/ .30-30Win / .223Rem / .38-40 / .44-40 / .300 Win Mag / 7x64 Brenneke (and similar European Rifles/ 9mm / My personal favorites: Freedom Arms revolvers, Winchester, Sharps and Remington rifles (produced before 1900)

Boolit Master

If I was still wanting them or had loads that just did well with them I'd try the Tula's.

But!,...I have tried them, they're generally ok, but they have varying widths that seat hard or too easy out of the same pack. That annoys me to no end. I've also had some click bangs using them in the M1 garand; definite hammer drop click and then a following bang. I lost 5 points with one in a match that click banged and I let the front sight wander in the delay. Powder was IMR 4895.

I've had more problems with the LR than the SR wolf primers. (missing kernals under an anvil) I bought these just prior to the first Obummer election to inaugeration period. The widely varying seating pressure is what annoys me most.

Boolit Grand Master

Check DAGAMMO's website. They got some in not too long ago, I think.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stampede View Post
    Due to heavily reduced imports of US made primers (thank you Mr. Obama !) we hardly can buy decent amounts of primers (like powders & bullets). And if so at huge prices.

Wolf/Tula is keeping lots of their primers now for the European market. No thanks to the hoarding primers and powders in US, what can be expected these days. So we like to keep on reloading in Europe as well, we generally like the American equipment and components better, but we need this stuff our self. Tula is one of the many European companies who do so.

At this time in my country it's easier to buy a winning lottery ticket than a couple thousend CCI, Federal or Remington primers!
    Reduced imports of US made primers???

Just what does that mean?
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post

I think it means he's not located in the US

Boolit Buddy
    I think the TULA took the place of the Wolf. I bought a few cases of Wolf for $75/1000 last year from Powder Valley on a close out.
    If you say you can't, you probably won't.

You need to ask DagAmmo. I talked to him while back and forget what he said. It was something like the same factory makes Wolf and Tula primers. Don't quote me. Wideners said something about importing them, but funny they can't get Wolf primers, but can get Wolf ammo. Doesn't make sense and somewhere in the middle lies the truth.

There were some problems in the early days with Wolf primers, but I believe they got their act together and make a good primer now. I've used many of them and the single problem I had was early on the anvils would fall out of them especially if you dropped them on the floor. Never had an American brand do that. Never had a misfire with Wolf. Can't say I had any weak fires either.

To me doesn't make a darn who makes them as long as the price is reasonable and they are decent primers.

Boolit Master
    I believe Bob Jensen in Arizona was the first to import them. I don't know if he was theb sole distro or if others were importing their own. I really don't want to hear tula is the replacement cuz they are significantly more lol

Indeed I live in the Netherlands, meaning that all US made reloading components have to be imported. Every time Obama yells something stupid the less components will come over and will rise in price. Currently we pay about € 60 (=$80.--) per box (1000pieces) CCI primers if we can buy them at all!

Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post

Over 27 years experience reloading ammo, specialy with VithaVuori powders and black powder ammo.
    I frequently reload: .45ACP / .44MAG / .357MAG / .357 Maximum / .38 Special / .45-70 / .45-120 / .50-70 / .50-110 / 12,7x44R (and similar European obsolete BP ammo)/ .30-30Win / .223Rem / .38-40 / .44-40 / .300 Win Mag / 7x64 Brenneke (and similar European Rifles/ 9mm / My personal favorites: Freedom Arms revolvers, Winchester, Sharps and Remington rifles (produced before 1900)