Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flaring rifle cases for cast boolits?

Boolit Buddy

Flaring rifle cases for cast boolits?

Just starting with cast for my rifles - been shooting cast in my handguns for as long as I owned them.
    My issue is flaring of the case - my lee dies do not do this. I am aware that lee makes an universal expander die - is this a good solution? I am currently trying to load 7.62x54r and 6.5x55 swede - I would also like to only have to neck size.
    I have slugged my mosin - it is .312 area - my lee mold seems to drop at .314 which I think is great - now just need to get the boolits in the case without shaving a ton of lead.
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy

The lee universal exspander works well. I use it for .308 cast. If you want to load now you can use a pair of needle noise pliers and flare the case a little with them.

Boolit Master
    The Lyman M-die is a much better tool, as it expands both the case neck and the mouth.
    Unless you are using a Lee collet neck sizing die (and ignoring the instructions) the neck will be sized too small to accept the usually fat-for-caliber cast boolit. An M-die, with a correctly dimensioned expander plug, will give you the proper amount (.015" to .002") of neck tension. Additionally, the M-die will expand the mouth slightly more than boolit diameter (.001") assuring that the boolit sits squarely in the mouth and parallel to the neck, as it enters the seating die.

None of the above is accomplished with the Lee universal "flaring" die. A flare, or bell, allows the boolit to sit at an angle other than parallel, and doesn't assure that it enters the seating die parallel to the case. Also, it does nothing to address neck tension.

I've use the Lee tool, and can feel when the boolit is seated at an angle.

Boolit Master

I made the Lee flaring tool into a Lee M die . It's a very versatile die body.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    I made the Lee flaring tool into a Lee M die . It's a very versatile die body.
    Interesting - did you make the neck expanders or buy them as parts?

Boolit Grand Master
    Dutchman

WOW, ..................if I only had a metal lathe, I'd be in business making parts like that also.

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman M die is far better than Lee.
    Looking for: 32acp mold-- 22 hornet jwords-- 7.62x54r- jwords, boolits, mold-- 7x57 brass, mold---7.62 Nagant-brass-- 8x56r-brass, jwords-- any old firearm laying around ( I'm starting to take gun smithing classes, and I'm looking for pieces I can work on, PM me with your details)

Poor execution of a problem on your part doesn't constitute a problem on mine.

13/14 Trapping season
    Coon-1
    Grinner-3
    Squirrel-3

Boolit Mold

How about RCBS neck expander dies? Any good?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
    i like the RCBS style neck expander die. I make my own expander plugs 75% of the time on the lathe as i like to use a plug .001" under the bullet diameter i am loading. It's a breeze to seat bullets undamaged this way.

Gentlemen;

Just drop down to the local hardware store and buy a tapered pin punch.

Just before charging the case force the taper into the case mouth by hand just enough to open it up to accept the bullet base. ~ Presto! you're done, ready to charge with powder and seat the bullet. No need for additional tooling or and need of another press procedure.

Good evening,
    Forrest

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
    I've used the RCBS cast bullet expander dies ever since they came out, and I like them.

Hi All,
    I have used a fired case as a neck flarer at times. In the 7.62x54 a .243 case would work. Just invert it in the neck of the larger case and a light tap does the job nicely until you manage to get an M die.
    Regards
    Les

Moderator Emeritus
    M dies and flare dies are two different creatures you are comparing apples and oranges.

For cast bullets I find M dies type expanders work far superior to a common flare die, the object of the M type dies is to get good even boolit tension fit for the length of the boolit in the case mouth without deforming the boolit. Any make of M type die will work so long as it is the correct specification for your boolit and case, only your callipers will give you this information. There are capable and skilled people on here who will turn you a M die type spud to your specifications for a modest sum. Dutchman has given you one example of this approach. The second thing the step in the M die does is help align your boolit square with the case so as to help with seating alignment and reduce run out. A flare die does non of these things it is purely made to flare the case mouth and when I need to do that I use a flare die not an M die, I mainly want to flare case mouths to help centre the case in the rifles chamber. Two totally different tools for two different applications.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Grand Master

Get the Lyman-M die and don't look back. For years tried jury rigged flare tools and the M-die has em all beat hands down the easiest and fastest way to do cast boolits in rifles.
    Been there tried that.
    Gary

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks all - I am going to go with a lyman m-die. Great advice and seeing as I have seen how crooked a boolit can get if you only flare the neck.

Boolit Mold
    Go with the "M" die ... you need to take some time to set it up properly (easily done) ... from then on it's as easy as it gets!

Boolit Master
    The other alternative, one that I use is to use "in-line bullet seating dies", where no flare is required and the bullet will be seated straight with little or no run out.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    The other alternative, one that I use is to use "in-line bullet seating dies", where no flare is required and the bullet will be seated straight with little or no run out.
    Ben, do you chamfer the inside using a VLD style reamer? or will the "In-Line" seater seat them with little chamfer?
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

I use the Wilson in line seater die and chamfer with a VLD cutter, so with the chamfer taken to almost the outside of the mouth edge, there is no lead shaving.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Master

Lyman M die is what I use.