Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avid shooters AGAINST lead bullets-funny people

Boolit Grand Master

If the gentleman is as knowledgeable of metals/machining/mechanics as you say, he'll soon see the light. Perhaps that what you described during your conversation. It's only logical...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

More FUD and baseless web-based gun lore. If you'd told him you shoot cast boolits through your Glock barrels, he'd likely have wet himself and fainted.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I've a life long close friend . He won't shoot remans,much less reloads , forget cast. On the other hand in 6yr I've purchased 120rd of factory ammo as I couldn't form those 2 out of something else .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    I'm so sick of "I have heard, or I have read"
    Instead of shutting up when someone asks, or there's a discussion about lead boolits, invite them over for a look-see into your operation. You might get a new friend, and we all benefit from another shooter.
    +1. Other wise they will continue to spread the myths

Quote Originally Posted by jasent View Post
    +1. Other wise they will continue to spread the myths
    Good point. I did try to be fairly diplomatic, stating my case and describing performance and the lack o cleaning needed-once I understood lead boolit fit. I did not 'shut up' and I would advocate others also chiming in to help bury those myths

I'm curious what his tune will be the next time we talk. Maybe I made a convert and didn't even know it

Boolit Master
    When I was shooting my .44 Ruger SBH often, I was often getting 2" groups at 50 yds. A number of times someone would express surprise that I was using cast boolits.

The more of those folks, the more lead for us .

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

This reminds me of a similar situation. A fellow I knew moderately well invited a half-dozen of his friends to come to the farm and shoot their pistols. All of them showed up with modern target sighted sixguns of various makes and jacketed factory ammunition. I steered them toward shooting at my bullet trap so I could recover their lead. We backed off to fifty yards and the target I set up was a four inch black circle on a piece of typing paper. All of them shot a cylinder full and I changed the target almost every time because most of them put one or two into the sheet of typing paper. When my turn rolled around, and I pulled out a Colt New Service .45 Colt made in 1919 with fixed sights loaded with my Lyman 255 cast boolits, I could feel the impatience. They were ready to move on to closer, faster, and more interesting shooting. After my sixth shot not a single hole appeared in the typing paper. As we walked up to check the target one of them said, "If you'd used a modern gun with decent sights and jacketed bullets I'll bet you would have put at least one in the paper." When we reached the target, we saw what wasn't visible at the fifty yard line: six holes in the bottom of the black 2" center-to-center. I told them, "Imagine what a young man with a new gun and Jacketed bullets could do." I declined to tell them that the group surprised me as much as it did them.

I know a little bit about cast bullets, but it's more fun for me to tell you about jacketed pistol bullets. I bought a couple of boxes of those bullets back in '69 or '70. When somebody tells me how great the latest jacketed pistol bullet is for all I know they are right. I don't have the experience to disagree.

I hear it often. even from "knowledgeable" fellas. Had an Uncle who was a very gifted amateur gunsmith. He shot rifles and reloaded for better than 50 years and had WELL OVER 100 original Winchester model '73's in his collection.
    Saw me shootin' a .458 Win Mag with lead boolits I cast and barked, "Why you shootin' those? It'll lead up yer bore somethin' awful!". So I asked him about his Winchesters and the "original '73 jacketed loads" designed for them. he he......

It was the moment the light turned on for him.
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Boolit Grand Master
    A) How long have folks been making cast boolits??
    B) How long have folks been making jacketed bullets??

Please respond as I am truly interested. I would think around 600 yearsw for cast and about 130-135 for jacketed??

One can produce cast boolits with simple equipment made by more complcated equipment.
    One can produce jacketed bullets by some not so simple, considerably more expensive equipment.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Somewhere in the conversation if I find myself with one of them I politely move on. As I am walking away in my head I hear (nasty word)-em, life is so very short, more lead for me! Gtek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I quit arguing the virtues of cast boolits a long time ago. Last time I heard something along the lines of "That'll ruin your barrel", I just said "Well, you're welcome to come out to the house an' put a light down any of my rifle barrels. While you're there, I'll show you my collection of documented targets."

I know it's a bit rude, but I love walkin' off an' leavin' the guy standin' there with that 'deer in the headlights' look on his face.
    When I first acquired my 45-70, around 1981 or thereabouts, I was working in what was then the 3d largest machine tool plant in the US. The chief metallurgist was an older guy, and a gun enthusiast who not only cast boolits, but now and then would create his own wildcat calibers. Old Charlie knew something about steel of all grades, and other metals as well. He suggested that I start casting boolits for my new Marlin, never once mentioning problems with microgroove or anything else. He did say that lubed lead bullets would never wear out barrels made of modern steel. It made sense to me, and my now-old Marlin has seen more cast bullets than jacketed ones over the years. Therefore, I've always thought that those who say that cast bullets would ruin your barrel are full of s*** up to their ears.

Boolit Buddy

I was at our 100 yd range servicing a target. just fired 20 rnds of my new mihec nato 223 out of a rr predator pursuit. 2 groups averaging about 2" each. the guy beside me looked over and made a comment about "bulk bullets" not being accurate like his factory loaded bullets. when I politely informed him that these were cast boolits, he not so politely informed ME that it was not possible to shoot cast boolits from an AR. during the next string of shots it took nearly all the self control I had not to send one of my shots into his "factory" grouping........

The government has everyone so phobic about lead and mold you would thiink being within 100 feet of either would cause deadth in a matter of seconds...........Sadly a large segment of the population no longer has any common sense or the ability to reason for themselves..............

I think it's dumbing down of the American educational system thats at fault.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ballisticleadtoxicitymu5-1[1].jpg  

Boolit Master
    Might try asking one of these experts if there are there any manufacturers that make a cowboy load with a jacketed bullet?

Boolit Master
    I quit telling people I use cast bullets in Glock pistols. They start lecturing me about polygonal rifling and how the gun will blow up.

Never heard the one about how lead bullets will ruin your barrel. I guess there were no good barrels back in the pre-jacketed days. A few shots of lead would ruin them right away.

Boolit Buddy
    Even very intelligent people can't possibly know everything. As long as they have the sense to have an open mind, all is good.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    They make jacketed bullets?
    Ikeep all my boolits under a jacket .. Its nice and warm there and they are safe from prying eyes

Well, I have seen a bore ruined by lead boolits. It was only the throat that was ruined - the leade had chased forward by about a boolit length. It was a Martini single shot 22lr target rifle - well used. No idea how that could have happened, even with a mild steel barrel. The rest of the rifling was clean and sharp, the worn area was irregular and devoid of any rifling. Only the breach section of the barrel had been kept as a curiosity. It was a gunsmith who showed me. He said he had re-barrelled one particular target rifle more than once (Martini 22lr).
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''