Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally going to get a hot plate

Finally going to get a hot plate

Well I have read way too many times of people using hot plates to heat their molds, I have always used my torch but its a real pain in the rear and never seems to heat properly. So I ask.... What is the brand of hot plate that is the best? I want something that will last, gets hot enough and doesnt take up the entire bench.

Thanks for any input,

Doc

Boolit Buddy
    Walmart or Walmart online have several smooth top plate hotplates, not the coil type as on a stove. They are a lot easier to use when you have a flat surface.

They sell from $15 - $30. Mine is about 1 foot square and on medium, heats a mold up to 400 no problem.

Tom

Thanks tg32-20, What brand is yours? Deni? Aroma?
    Oh another question.... is the single top large enough to hold 2 molds? Im sure I will see when I go look but wanted to know if I should look at a single or double top one.

Doc

Boolit Master
    Tom:

One foot square is a REALLY big hotplate ! I would like to find one that size !
    What brand is it and where did you get it?

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

I stole my wife's Aroma (that sounds slightly risque' but don't worry, I'll give it back!) single burner which works well.
    I had to atone for my sins and just yesterday, I found a dual burner GE model at Walmart for her on clearance for 1/2 price ($15).
    Mama's happy - Daddy's happy!
    A casting friend of mine gave my a round, 3/8" steel plate to set on the hotplate as a heat sink and it really holds the heat nicely and makes it feel very solid.
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Interesting, I didnt think about putting a steel plate on top. I have plenty of that! Great tip..

Doc

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine blows the fuse in the garage. Need more amperage out there. Until then, the propane torch.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Bub

Yard sales are a good place to find hot plates.

Boolit Buddy
    Doc

It is an Aroma 1000w

Burner is 6" and total size is 9 1/2 x 9 1/2, yes it will hold 2 molds.

Tom

Boolit Man
    I bought a Farberware from Walmart a couple of weeks ago. I read all about finding them at thrift shops, yard sales, etc, but I was there, it was there, and I had already been in about four or five thrift shops, so I bought one. I figger if I keep it clean, I can cook food on it too, or make fire starters out of wax and sawdust, etc.

Thanks for the input guys, I went to Wallyworld today and they only had 1 brand there so I got it. Its an Oster 900W so I hope it works out ok. It was only 19.98 for it...

Doc

Boolit Buddy
    Doc

It will work out fine for you. It will not melt lead but that is not what you wanted and it will heat up the molds just fine.

Going to Wallyworld beats trying to find one at a garage sale or thrift store. You would spend more than $19.98 in gas in Kalifornia driving around.

I find with mine if I want a break in casting, I just put it back on the hotplate and when I come back it is ready to go. For some reason now that I am a little older I can not stand there and cast as long as I used too.

Tom

Tom,
    I am sooo glad you told me that! I have had 2 surgeries on each leg (ripped out veins) so I have very poor circulation and standing there kills me! If I can get a break for a while that would be awesome....

Doc

good info thanks guys

Boolit Buddy
    Appreciate the info and advice given here as I'm looking to buy a hotplate also.

Best

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Doc Holliday View Post
    Tom,
    I am sooo glad you told me that! I have had 2 surgeries on each leg (ripped out veins) so I have very poor circulation and standing there kills me! If I can get a break for a while that would be awesome....Doc
    Doc,
    Go to Walmart and buy one of those big cans of green beans or corn, Open it up just enough where you can get the contents out without bending the lid. When empty, take an angle grinder or tin snips, or something similar and cut yourself a hole in the side that's large enough to get your mold(s) in.
    Think of it as an oven. Put the end that's not been cut open on the burner.
    It'll help the mold get to temp quicker, helps to keep it up to temp if you need a break, and you're not setting the mold directly on the burner, there's a piece of metal in between the burner and your mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Mine blows the fuse in the garage. Need more amperage out there. Shiloh
    How old is your house? You may have "Arc Fault" breakers in the garage. I have them in my bedrooms and can't start a Vacume cleaner without tripping them. I wouldn't think a hot plate would trip your breakers unless you are running a couple other high amp appliances on the circuit.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Bought my el cheapo hot plate "made in China" at our equivalent Walmart's down here, the first time I used it, died straight up, checked out inside it & it had a "Thermal Cutout Microtemp Fuse" which is designed to burn out if unevenly overheated, example.....mold use!
    Just bypassed the fuse, easy done & its now working perfectly.

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMTNMAN View Post
    Yard sales are a good place to find hot plates.
    My dinosaur hotplate came from goodwill. Probably the reason it draws all that amperage.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Bub
    Why are hot plates being used to heat molds? What is wrong with just dipping the corner in the molten lead?