MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lead Analyzing results! Give me your opinions

I am not the guy that runs the machine, but I believe you just want to make sure there isn't an oxide or dirt layer on top. The manufacturer says to clean with alcohol if the readings seem off. At the scrapyard they just scrape down to a shiny spot.

Oh, Wikipedia has a lot on Bi, it is interesting reading if nothing else.

I don't know if it would make a difference, but Bi is supposed to be nonmalleable. Could its presence along with Antimony exaggerate the effects of each?

btroj - Bi acts like Sb. AnyCal - the links I posted were by guys in white lab coats with lots of letters behind their names, tax paychecks, fancy equipment, etc. Don't feel bad about your service - your comments are in agreement with their findings.

This 'alloying' is almost a hobby in itself!...FUN!

Thanks again, Any Cal!

Okay - Here are my results:

A - Pb77.40 - Sn4.09 - Sb11.77 - Bi3.06 -Cu0.26

B - Pb91.72 - Sn0.70 - Sb2.47 - Bi2.83 - Fe0.76

C - Pb89.14 - Sn2.50 - Sb3.28 - Bi2.31 - Cu0.31

D - Pb94.52 - Bi3.02 - Ti0.84

A - is Linotype
    B - is COWW
    C - was UNKNOWN to me, Looks like COWW w/Tin added
    D - is Sheet Lead from x-ray room walls

Looks to me like Bi could be calculated as part of the LEAD? (Esp. looking at LINO sample)

Lino = Pb84/Sn4/Sb12 = 100%
    Here = Pb77.4/Sn4/Sb12 = 93.4%

I've got a couple other lots of Linotype that I am sending to have tested. One is from a known source. My Dad used to work as a pressman. They had their alloy sent out regularly to be tested. Empire Metals would then tell them what to add for adjustments.

Still learning...
    “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” - John Adams

Boolit Mold
    I can't understand why the percentages don't tally up to 100%. They measure the copper down to a quarter of a percent, but there's still 3 percent or more unaccounted for.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhunt View Post
    I can't understand why the percentages don't tally up to 100%. They measure the copper down to a quarter of a percent, but there's still 3 percent or more unaccounted for.
    The XRF has a limited number of elements it can pick up. It is like you tasting something, you can pick up salt, sweet, certain spices, texture. Water for example you wont be able to guess the water content. These guns are not perfect that is why they are fast. A full analysis takes ALLOT longer using different and usually multiple pieces of equipment. Cu is one of the things the XRF is very good at sensing. It is like me putting lemon juice in a food recipe. You can pick it up very clearly.

The Bi I still don't fully understand. I have paid others to have a sample assayed and never saw any Bi in the three samples they tested. However the XRF they tested with was just serviced immediately before my samples were done. Preventive maintenance on the XRF is very expensive. I would guess maybe the XRF used might need serviced, however I would also guess allowing this service to continue would be in danger of no longer being allowed. The reason these services never last is eventually the XRF will need to be serviced and when it does the cost of service will no longer justify the service.

No reflection on you AnyCal. Everyone is thankful you offered the service.

Boolit Master
    I am quite happen, the results of my two samples where as expected. The first sample shows I use too much tin, which I do as I have a ton of solder. The second sample shows me I have Marine grade 8 Babbit. I was not sure of the type.
    XRF is a good quick way to get an estimate of the material. If you want better accuracy you can pay more and send it to someone with a SEM.