Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am.....

What am.....

I doing here?

Insertcook by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

bleedair by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Gotta let the air out or the lube won't stay put.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    "What am I doing here?"
    Inside lubing the case necks, and then trying to dig the excess lube out, so you can load your 300 gr blockbuster greasegroove gaschecked bullet over your favored charge of trail boss??
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    "What am I doing here?"
    Inside lubing the case necks, and then trying to dig the excess lube out, so you can load your 300 gr blockbuster greasegroove gaschecked bullet over your favored charge of trail boss??
    Don me boy,

You KNOW BETTER THAN THAT!!

Oh...btw....been shooting some 'dry patched' stuff recently and the groove in me patchin board works like a champ! I sand-papered the edges of the groove, lay the patch paper down on a drawn straight line and all need doing is to rotate the bullet and the patch is tight!

Dryptch by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

In Remembrance
    That is similar to my method, Rick. I use a plastic cutting board and foam tape where you use plywood with a groove. But, the mechanics are the same.

When the patch is positioned as in your picture, I lick my left thumb and swipe it on the tip of the patch, on the side facing me.
    That causes the paper curl over the bullet, and makes certain the pointy tip lays flat as the wrap goes over it.
    ( ... only works when the grain in the paper runs crosswise to the patch ... )

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Rick is that paper the 8lb yellow rolls from utrecht?
    I've been using one of those conveyor belt blocks from Kenny and sure like the way it works both wet and dry patches. Matter fact when rolling wet, I just take a dap of water on my finger tip, spread it on that block and lay the patch down. Works like a champ.

I've been using one of those conveyor belt blocks from Kenny and sure like the way it works both wet and dry patches. Matter fact when rolling wet, I just take a dap of water on my finger tip, spread it on that block and lay the patch down. Works like a champ.
    Don

I think this is Seth Cole 7#; I'll have to check the label to see! I've got a BUNCH of it!! Measures 0.0018" thickness.

I sure like that seth cole 8# on the fat bullets in the 44.

I sure like that seth cole 8# on the fat bullets in the 44.
    It's taken me 15 years to get to where I know how to work with the .45; don't think I got time to start on a .44!!

You know that's a shame that most folks take that point of view. I don't think I've ever had anything that was as easy to get to shooting as this 44-77. It was the most chambered cartridge until about 76, had a great reputation both in the field and on the target range. I'm thinking it probably dropped deep into obscolecence maybe because it's a gaawd awful big case for the smokeless powder of the time..
    But really with this paper patching thing no matter what the chamber, we're just now back to the knowledge that most 12 year olds had in the 1870's.

Boolit Master
    But really with this paper patching thing no matter what the chamber, we're just now back to the knowledge that most 12 year olds had in the 1870's.
    That is true of everything... they were much smarter then than we are today in basic stuff.... fer sure!

You know that's a shame that most folks take that point of view. I don't think I've ever had anything that was as easy to get to shooting as this 44-77. It was the most chambered cartridge until about 76, had a great reputation both in the field and on the target range. I'm thinking it probably dropped deep into obscolecence maybe because it's a gaawd awful big case for the smokeless powder of the time..
    Don I agree with you 100% . All of my .44's except one of the .44-90 bn's shot from the go.

Rick your lube looks like you may have put some graphite in it???
    By the way I dont use a board, I can get the patch on faster rolling it on dry with my fingers.
    Kurt.

Yuppers and even that one shot pretty decent, it twas just a tad finicky is all..

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    Don I agree with you 100% . All of my .44's except one of the .44-90 bn's shot from the go.

Rick your lube looks like you may have put some graphite in it???
    By the way I dont use a board, I can get the patch on faster rolling it on dry with my fingers.
    Kurt.
    Kurt

Graphite.....in my lube??? Naaaaawwww.....I wouldn't do that! Why...that would be taking advice from Col Frank Mayer....and we all know that he was nuttier than a fruit cake!!

Lately I've been patching dry and I like the board as my fingers are just too big for just hand rolling and the edges of the paper stay exactly straight and inline using the slot on the board!

Mayer my foot.... We all know you got started with the graphite cuz the army was still using it when you mustered out. They hadn't made the switch to smokeless and jacketed bullets yet.

Mayer my foot.... We all know you got started with the graphite cuz the army was still using it when you mustered out. They hadn't made the switch to smokeless and jacketed bullets yet.

Boolit Buddy

I hold the parch 10" away from a spray bottle on the mist setting. Lightly coats one side which causes it to curl.

Boolit Buddy
    So Rick, what are you doing in the original post?
    Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Semper Fi -

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Hawkins View Post
    So Rick, what are you doing in the original post?
    Seth

I use a .400" thick lube cookie in all of my 45 2 7/8 loadings and it's a simple matter to insert the lube cookie into the case as demo shows in first photo. After compression I insert a .030" Walters wad atop the powder, then the cookie, followed by a .060" Walters wad adjacent the bullet. Wads are inserted with a steel dowel made to just slide down inside the interior of the case. Air pocket is broken with a paper clip run down to touch the OPW before insertion of the top wad. As for the lube pan....I level it before pouring the lube so all lube cookies will be the same thickness.