WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Part 2 Paper patching for ML

Ron, when you quote bore dimensions are referring to groove to groove or land to land measure. I'm inclined to think you are measuring groove to groove based upon your comments about fit.
    "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED." Understand?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Underclocked View Post
    Ron, when you quote bore dimensions are referring to groove to groove or land to land measure. I'm inclined to think you are measuring groove to groove based upon your comments about fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by idahoron
    Ya I have a Renegade that is a .458 and for years I sized the Lee trap door bullets to .451 then wrapped them then sized again to .451 but that is too far to take a .459 bullet. I have tried the .446 bullets as wrapped and they don't seem to shoot that well, but that bullets is 385 gr. I am thinking the 1-18 twist would like a longer bullet. Ron
    Funny how I'm able to completely misread stuff sometimes....

I don't know if it's funny or not. Am I misreading or is it just a bit confusing? Or are you?
    "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED." Understand?

Boolit Master
    Rons thread needs to be a sticky.He has done a lot of research & people that come to the form will use it.

JMOHOP Fly

Boolit Master
    I don't know if it's funny or not. Am I misreading or is it just a bit confusing? Or are you?
    Were it not my Uncle that sayed once that the only time I seemed confused was when I got it right.... or were it the only time I's right is when i'm confused...

The consensus even wit the Dirty Little White Boys is that you pour, you patch, and you size to the bore. I linked to accurate a 430-475 that tomorrow I'll ask them if they can squeeze something like that down a bit so its a single pour, patch and one time through the sizer back to .451 or maybe .452 mostly all on the patch.

Aloha..

It works even better to start with a mould the right size. Pour, wrap, and shoot. Once you know how big the bore on your rifle is and know what paper you are going to patch with, then you can order a mould the right size. For example I use paper than adds .007" to the final diameter with two wraps. So I get a mould that is .008" smaller than the bore of my rifle. The finished boolit loads easily, even in a fouled bore and shoots accurately. Very simple.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    It works even better to start with a mould the right size. Pour, wrap, and shoot. Once you know how big the bore on your rifle is and know what paper you are going to patch with, then you can order a mould the right size. For example I use paper than adds .007" to the final diameter with two wraps. So I get a mould that is .008" smaller than the bore of my rifle. The finished boolit loads easily, even in a fouled bore and shoots accurately. Very simple.
    Indeed it is.... now to find the right paper...

Thank you... Much Aloha....

Boolit Master
    I haven't measured that gun in a while but I think it is Groove to Groove. I haven't shot that gun in a long time. Ron

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    That is kind of how it is with my .451 Those bullets are .446 and after I wrap they would probably go down fine. I like to size them again because it helps keep the paper on until I load. If I had a .450 or a .449 sizer I would probably use those but since the Lee sizer would have to be custom I use what I had and it worked well. I have wanted a .496 mould that is exactly the same as the Lee C-501-440-RF for a long time. Since the one I am using is knocking down animals on a regular basis I tend to not what to fix something that isn't broke.

I have had good luck and bad with the .458 it seems to do very well one time then not so good another. Sizing the .459 bullets down to .451 I think was just too far. I want to try it in a different stock and see how that works. And like I said before I do think I am shooting a bullet that is too short for that twist. Ron

Boolit Master

i have a sizer die that is .495. I size the boolit down to .495 pp it and size to .501. I use a smooth boolit.Out of my hawken it shoots great with 90 grains of 2f. bill

Boolit Master
    That is what I like to hear. Ron