WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: looking for a scope HELP

looking for a scope HELP

I have a CZ 550FS in 9.3x62mm I am looking for a straight tube scope to put on it. I was looking a a Weaver clasic in 1x3x20 it runs around 152 and the other is a Leupold VX Hog Rifle Scope 1-4x 20mm Pig Plex Reticle around 225 . I like the reticle on the Leupold but is it worth the extra 75bucks? I have never owned a Leupold scope my brother got one the other day and I was helping him zero it in and the turrents didn't have any clicks is this on all Leupold scopes? And how do they hold zero with out the extra friction on the clicks?

Banned

I have a weaver 1x3 and really like it. i also have an old vari x 2 1x4 which would be the same scope opticaly as the hog rifle or a vx1. the weaver definately has the better glass of the two. It seems pretty rugged. Its lived on a tc contender carbine in 4570 through some pretty stout recoil. Im a big leupold fan but to me the starting point for a good leupold is the vx2 line. Mostly because of there better optics but even more so for there click ajustments.

Boolit Master
    I have both Weaver 1 - 3 and Leupold 1-4. The Weaver is on a Marlin 1894/357. The Loopie is on a Ruger #1 in 303 Brit. The Weaver is a bit of an unknown to me as regards recoil resistance. The Loopie is considered bullet proof by a lot of owners. Given the 9.3 X 62 has pretty decent recoil I would tend to choose the Leupold. After a few years of use the Weaver may prove to just as good but I don't know that yet.

Banned
    You only pay for a good scope once, you will pay for a cheap scope many times over. Get something that says VXII or VXIII on it and be happy for as long as you both shall live.

I have a few scopes that say something other than Leupold, Baush/Lomb or Burris on them but they are few and they are mounted to pipsqueaks. My favorite scope is a 4.5X15 VXIII and it is mounted on the hard kicking 243Win model 70 lightweight.

Boolit Master
    Leupolds are great scopes and I own many, but sometimes think you pay for the name and warranty (which is one of the best in the industry).
    For straight tube scopes I have gone to the Nikon African 1x4. Have used them on 375 H&H's as well as the Ruger 375 and they have not failed me. Glass is excellent as well.

Leupolds are the Gold Standard for DGR's - Japanese Weaver Classics definitely are not.

A lifetime guarantee Leupold is ALWAYS worth the $$$ difference over most other less expensive scopes.

While many like a Leupold VX, hunters usually find that the fixed power Leupold M8-2x or M8-3x gives more than ample optical support for just about anything one will be doing with a 9.3x62 (basically the same class as the .375H&H).

I had an M8-3x on my CZ-550 American Safari .375H&H, and it worked out just great.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Vendor Sponsor

I bought a used Leupold VX3 1.5-5X scope from a big game hunter I know. The scope was previously mounted on a .458 Lott Magazine rifle. I don't think it was shot very many times. I gave him $300 for it and it is currently $400 new.

I mounted the scope on my RGS77 scout rifle in the normal position using Ruger Rings. I zeroed the gun once at 200yds with my normal reloads, which is all I shoot at my local silhouette matches.

I have shot about ten matches and change the elevation at each different yardage, IN fact I put a Stoney Point elevation turret on it so I wouldn't have to be removing the cap every 20 minutes.

The scope repeats without fail! And when I dial it back down to the 200 yard zero when done with the shoot, it prints right back in the right spot.

The internal mechinism is where the extra money comes in and the ability to repeat adjustments accurately for along time is why they cost more. This is why the really high end sniper scopes are so expensive. they can be tweaked repeatedly and function correctly for along time.

I have several Chinese scopes and whereas they function just fine their internal mechinisms probably won't repeat as well or for as long as the Leupold does. But on the guns they are mounted to, the zero is always at 200 yards and there is no need to change it once zeroed. Unless the scope is removed and reinstalled and the mount doesn't repeat..

The mount being able to repeat is more important on those guns, as those guns get reconfigured often.

my .02

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-26-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

A really good Leupold used scope will be better than the weaver new in the long run.
    (unfortunately you pay for the reputation they've built over the years; pro or con

I own both brands of scopes,the leupold are great but pricey,try a weaver V series had good results for the buck.check natchez for good pricing.

Boolit Man
    I'm partial to the bushnell banner great scope for a great price. The customer service with that company is in my opinion second to none. I own 3 bushnell banner scopes and will own more if I need them. Also if price is a concern, and I know that folks won't agree with this, Tasco makes the world class series. A very clear and rugged scope.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have a lot of Leupolds and they are great scopes. The fact that they back up their product for life is a big bonus. I own several old Weavers, a 2.5x and a 3x. I would be careful with older Weaver variables, I bought one off a friend real cheap, he pointed out that it held zero on one power and lost it if you changed powers. I bought it, intending to get it fixed. The scope guru, Fred Horton (now retired unfortunately) informed me that the Old Weaver variables were not repairable as they contained nylon parts and spares wern't available, he went on to say that he had manafactured some bits in the past, but the costs involved were not worth it. So I used it for years set on 4x without problem. If I was to buy one of the old ones,it would have to be cheap and I would have to try it on my rifle first.

I was speaking to an F Class shooter recently and he told me something that surprised me He said he had a lot of target rifles and his main one had a mega dollar March scope. Most of his other rifles had Leupolds that he had owned for sometime. He also owned several recent target Weaver scopes. He said the optics were not the best,but were adequate. What he really liked about the new Weavers he said was their absolutely reliable repeatability. Interesting.

Th eonly problem I have heard about the straight tubed Leupolds is the pro hunters in the Northern Territory using 416 Rigbys and the like. Apparently several have just fallen apart, were repaired by Leupold and suffered the same fate again. My second hand 1-5-5Vari X111 seems to handle the 375H&H ok.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    I love Leupold optics, their service is second to none. Also, if you are a Hunter Ed instructor they offer a great discount for ordering right from the factory. My 2 cents.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith