Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Casting for the 7.62x54r

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Thanks for the phone number guys , they finally got in touch with me on friday and I got an order in . It will be nice to have really good brass for a change .

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by 340six View Post
    I They came out to 311.5 with one alloy and 312 with another can not cast them any larger. The few books that have info on it say use the at 310-311 and have loads for a 311299
    Check out this link on "Beagling": http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/MoldMods/BDE.pdf
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Only problem with the site I had was after clinking add to cart it would not load...after several minutes I noticed items in cart at top of screen....click on and proceeded to check out no issues.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
    ordered 200 brass today also. This should last me a good long time. I use ltman 314299 with 18 grains 2400 gas checked.....shoot good enough for me to keep doing it.
    I cant stand to clean after useing corrosive ammo.
    I don't find cleaning up my 91/30 after surplus ammo that big a chore, though I've had folks tell me I'm doing it wrong (my bore isn't getting darker, so I can't be that far wrong). OTOH, if you anneal your necks regularly, neck size only and no smaller than necessary (to avoid excessive re-expanding), and keep the brass segregated to a single rifle so the above won't cause chambering problems, you should be able to get dozens of loadings out of each case; 200 cases ought to last you many years. As a bonus, you'll get better accuracy than you would with full length sizing or work hardened brass.

Boolit Master
    Be careful about what you order from this company. I heard back from them today about the box of bullets they sent instead of the 222 Rem brass I ordered. Despite having a picture of the 222 brass on their site listing, despite being listed under brass, despite having no description of being a box of 51 gr HPCE bullets, they told me, " You did in fact order projectiles."

Not worth my time to mess with it any more so I'll just keep the bullets, but double check before you order anything. Some of the pictures and descriptions do not match the SKU numbers.

Boolit Buddy
    222 brass appears to have a SKU of 4PL5007.

Product Description
    .222 Rem (5,69 mm / .224)
    100/bx).

I would say if you got bullets for ordering this SKU, they did send you the wrong thing based off the website information.

Boolit Master
    I dont know how new this vendor is but my order went fine. Recieved email notice of order monday ready to be shipped. Recieved shipping notice thursday and will be here monday ups

the Lee 155g Harris 7.62 x 39 bullets sized .314 shoots in all of my 1891- 91-30 and M39 and M28's Mosins as well as can be asked.

Thought I'd throw something in the mix where milsurp is readilly available and really cheap...it's steel core and steel jacketed cartridges and is banned from use in all but 1 of the ranges within my area and the use of steel ammo in the dry back country is either forbidden or really discouraged from the fire danger if a steel bullet strikes a rock and gives of a shower of sparks (yep, really does happen a lot)...the ranges tell us that the steel ammo ruins their backstops as it does not mushroom at all and just makes a hole and moves on through or creates large dents and weak spots. We might be out of any place to shoot th emilsurp ammo soon...this might well spread to other more urban areas fairly soon. California is trying to ban it's sale or import right now.

Boolit Master

I'm nowhere near California, and the range situation here is similar -- only one public range within an hour's drive where I can shoot steel core ammunition (several private ranges have adequate backstops, but the buy-in is out of my range). Forget shooting in off-range locations around here, unless you own land -- virtually ever square foot that isn't public gamelands is posted, and you can't even possess a firearm on gamelands outside hunting season.

Mind you, my situation won't improve noticeably when I'm shooting cast and reloads; indoor ranges don't like rifles, regardless of the ammunition.

Boolit Master

Cast up several hundred 311365's with my new NOE group buy mould and did some load testing on Sunday. Loaded up 10 rounds each using 2400 starting at 16 grains and ending at 20 grains. Targets at 100 yards, 10 rounds each produced 3 MOA with 16 grains opening up to 5 MOA at 18, then back down to 3 MOA at 20 grains - a 4 inch bull is mighty small at 100 yards with iron sights and old eyes. Since I'll be using these in our military bolt silhouette matches, I went for the 20 grain loads for best ram knockdown power. These new boolits are a little bit more accurate than the 311299 I was using, and since they practically jump out of the mould 5 at a drop, casting a pile takes no time at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	147987692.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	57412

Banned

They are not showing these anymore on the website. I wonder if they are going to have anymore?

...the ranges tell us that the steel ammo ruins their backstops as it does not mushroom at all and just makes a hole and moves on through or creates large dents and weak spots.
    What a load of Bull Burp! It's a back stop for heavens sake! Copper FMJ bullets will behave no different on the backstop. Steel core or even FMJs hitting certain rock types I might accept - do accept but it might be very hard to reproduce. I know all bullets fired in the movies always create sparks, even when they hit rubber tyres and soft dirt. Mind you, in the movies rubber tires screech on soft dirt too! But we all know that if it happens in the movies it must be true.

Just thinking on reloading steel cases for cast (or paper patched), there should be no resizing issue since there is no need to resize at all (other than to make someone else's case fit your own rifle).

I'm just wondering whether a Lee Enfield could be rechambered to 10x54 (40-54) and still feed from a staggered magazine?
    Last edited by 303Guy; 01-03-2013 at 06:27 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Baja Traveler, might I suggest a different loading approach using a slower powder with more of it and the use of a fibrous filler like wheat bran or wheat germ? Wheat bran is fine but is a bit of a pain to handle - it needs cause filtering and careful feeding into the case but scrubs the bore and forms a wad behind the boolit which seals the boolit base. Wheat germ is lighter and self lubricating and flows easier making it easy to measure and pour into the case. I would suggest powders like H4350, H414, W748 and Varget (those being paired as ball and stick powders equivalents). Youd probably need the slower ones (H4350 & H414) for your case size. I'm currently using H4350 and W748 as my slow and fast powder with the faster powder for lighter loads and I use wheat germ as a filler. Oh, wheat bran has another problem - it's nutritious so grows silk spinning bugs!

Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    The neck sizing die only sizes it like the FL die does. It has a mandrel that pulls back through the neck as you lower it. The neck expander die, has a different type of sizer. It expands the neck to what you order it for. And it flairs or bells the mouth. Gear got me onto these and they are great.

Here is the expander. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/784...ander-plug-311

And here is the die. You can switch out the plugs for whatever you are loading. The LEE just bells the mouth. No control over neck tension. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/753...pander-die-311
    The argument over whether the RCBS expander die, or the Lyman M Die is the better will never be finished. I have tried the RCBS and will never give up my M dies. You have the opposite opinion, I guess through trying both. Kind of like the old song about potatoes and tomatoes.

Ed

Boolit Mold
    I enjoy shooting cast boolits in the mosins. I own the 100 grain 311-100-2r mold from lee and the 155 grain c312-155-2r mold. They both shoot well in my M39, I haven't done a lot of accuracy testing in my 91/30. The 100 grain boolits over 5 grains of unique shoot pretty decent at 100 meters. The 155 also shoots pretty good too, with 16 grains of 2400.

Thats a link to my blog. Some shooting I did the other weekend with my m39.

http://dontfartonagrave.blogspot.com...-and-9130.html