Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: World championship Smoothbore shoot

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

World championship Smoothbore shoot

Yeah, yeah, a rather presumptuous title. But that is how it was billed. This was a primitive shoot, all smoothbore flintlock fowlers.
    We had a bit of rain on Saturday morning, causing a short break in the shooting. the majority of the event was a trail walk, with a total of 38 targets. Then, we shot trap for additional points. Scores were aggragate for the shooting. Jack Simms and I tied for first place.
    We all put in a blanket prize, and they were much better quality than the run of the mill prizes at the general open shoots.
    The eats were good, deer, elk, antelope, and other fixin's.
    One of the guys had a turkey call from a wingbone he had been trying to learn how to use. After some lubrication on Saturday night, as everyone was in bed, we heard the chirk chirk chirk of the call. He didn't remember doing it the next morning.
    All in all, everyone had a great time. We will be doing it again next year!
    Here's a picture at camp during a break.

Boolit Bub
    Sounds and looks like a great time. IH

Hey Ric,who's who in the pic?

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerman1 View Post
    Hey Ric,who's who in the pic?
    L to R - Dave Swanson, Jack Simms, Mark Horvat, Rich Stevens.

Boolit Master On Heavens Range. 1940-2008 Slamfire's Avatar
    Cain't be a world champeenship, if'n y'all don't take on ALL comers. Like it or not, them cap guns got a place in the world.

Super Moderator

...............The guys in the picture could'ave been from the late 1700's.

All you took was ONE picture?

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Slamfire, we wouldn't want to embarrass those who may own cap guns. We were looking to keep things pre 1840, and that pretty much eliminates most cap smoothies.

Buckshot, I took two pictures.
    The other was a different position, same scene. There was shooting and such to be done! I'll do better next time. Nationals are in a couple weeks, and I will most likely take a picture or two there.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Slamfire, we wouldn't want to embarrass those who may own cap guns. We were looking to keep things pre 1840, and that pretty much eliminates most cap smoothies.
    Y'all need to change the rules to pre 1820s. Even the Republic of Texas was buyin' capped UNDERHAMMERS in the mid 1830s.
    Last edited by Slamfire; 06-29-2007 at 02:24 AM. Reason: CAIN'T SMELL

Quote Originally Posted by Slamfire View Post
    Y'all need to change the rules to pre 1820s. Even the Republic of Texas was buyin' capped UNDERHAMMERS in the mid 1830s.
    Well, we're just going to be stubborn, and keep it all flintlock. Call it an anti-inline movement!

Never said they never had them. Just said, we ain't gonna use 'em!

JB approved remember Waksupi JB approved

Boolit Grand Master

Who woould want a caplock trade gun? Can't get caps from a rock pile! I'd love to get out your way for a shoot sometime. The best shooting I ever did was when I first took a dove with a 40" long flintlock fowler. Then I knew i was on my way to being a real shooter.

Yup, we're sticking to our guns, so to speak. We started this in opposition to so many of the shoots, with the same ol' production firearms among people who have been shooting some years, but do nothing to upgrade. In that I mean, the basics of being sure they will function properly when they get to the firing line. The ones with mis-fitting caps, that need to have two hammer falls to get ignition, when five minutes in the work shop would cure it, give me the fantods. They want to "get by". That isn't the way to go about this aspect of the sport. Do it right, or stay home, is what we strive for.
    The guys and gals shooting smoothbore flintlocks, or flintlocks in general, are usually more experienced shooters. I don't find myself concerned about where thier muzzle will be pointed, as they tend to be very safe shooters.

Well, a smoothbore flintlock shoot should be for smoothbore flintlock rifles, pistol silhouette shoots should be for pistols and so forth. To each their own.

I don’t own a smoothbore flintlock so I’d have to abstain as well. Thought about building a trade gun once, but I got more thoughts then dollars in my pocket or time to do it.
    "So how many Divisions does this Pope have?".. Joseph Stalin

"Be not afraid"..
    Pope John Paul II

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it.
    Pope John Paul II

Glad y'all had a ggod time. Let me know who the world champ turns out to be.

Glad y'all had a ggod time. Let me know who the world champ turns out to be.
    Already did that! Jack Simms and I tied for first. Convert that caplock thingy, and come shoot next summer!

Sorry a southpaw with a right handed rifle can't be shootin' no flinch locks.

Sorry a southpaw with a right handed rifle can't be shootin' no flinch locks.

Where do you get that idea? I know a couple people who do. Certainly safer shooting a flinter, than a caplock, if shooting from the wrong side!

Where did you park the cars?

They were parked a few hundred yards away.
    When we were young pups, we would take pack strings back in the Great Bear, or Bob Marshall Wilderness. Another favorite, was river trips on the Marias, Yellowstone, Missouri, Smith, and the Flathead Rivers with our frieghter canoes that we built. We also did a lot of trekker type things in the mountains, a few of us still do. All of those activities were hunt or starve trips.
    And at Nationals this week, I expect to be parked within a couple hundred yards of camp!

;o)