RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A compelling argument for casting aprons

WOW! Another voice to the chorus of "glad you're mostly OK".

I do cast while sitting down, but I wear a full face shield, a hat, welding gloves, an old thick leather jacket with a high neck, denim jeans with thick long-johns underneath (my casting is typically done during winter), and some good, thick leather hiking boots.

Someone who goes by "L. C. Clower" on YouTube posted on my YouTube channel (sfliberal) about this thread, and thanks go out to him. That could've been really nasty. As a result, I will be buying a good, thick apron for use during casting sessions.

The Tinsel Fairy did come to visit me one time (yes, I had to learn). Splattered all over the front of me--face mask, leather jacket, etc. Thank goodness I had my stuff on, because I walked away from it totally unscathed, but plenty wiser. Yes, a full face shield *does* provide eye protection; I know this from experience.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar
    Judging by that shiny spot on the crotch of your jeans I'd say you were very lucky

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
    Yes, a full face shield *does* provide eye protection; I know this from experience.
    A face shield provides face protection. It is insufficient for protection of the eyes both in terms of paths around the face shield that can still lead to the eyes as well as insufficient impact resistance. If you want eye protection wear proper goggles. If you still need face protection you wear a face shield over the goggles.

I don't mean to nit pick. It's an important technicality that damn near cost my coworker his eyes when concentrated caustic soda solution splashed in his face, and managed to get past his face shield and into his eyes.

Yeah Cowboy T, that's me.

Got some new Northern Tool welding gloves and face shield today, still undecided between leather and corrugated iron apron.
    Everybody grab a shovel, we got a swamp to drain.

Boolit Master
    I use a cloth cooking apron, it saved me when I dropped a 3lb ladel of lead, it splashed all over the apron but got no farther.

If you want to wear gloves try a pair of TIG gloves. Good feel still but has gauntlet to cover wrist. Leather apron is good