Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minimum starch for deer to 70 yards or so?

Moderator Emeritus

Larry, sounds like our experiences mesh about as well as any are destined to. It's humbling, isn't it, to realize that there's really NOT any "death ray" out there? That buddy said something last year that's finally made me realize that now's "my time" for cast, when he observed that except for one really large field he hunts that's chock full of deer, and where shots are likely to be long, there are very few places either of us hunts any more where shots are likely to exceed even 100 yds. Tailor made setup for cast, IMO. I no longer enjoy getting kicked as much as I used to, also, which is yet another motivation for me, as is my tendency toward the experimental. Like the robber in the movie "Dirty Harry," .... "I gots ta' know!" ;^)

One thing that you mentioned about the difference in men's and deer's mindsets brought this to mind also. The .22 LR, and especially the HS .22 LRHP's, seem to kill deer much more quickly than I'd expect. Used to be a probabion officer, and got assigned all the night hunting cases, and I used to talk to them about the near universal choice of the .22 due to the noise factor and their attempts to be covert. The ones whose words I was as sure as I could be were trustable, all described the exact same thing. They'll occasionally drop at the shot, but almost always run maybe 50 yds. and then drop. I think (?) that's because the low report of the little .22's doesn't scare them as bad, and maybe they don't realize they're in as much trouble as they really are because there's no big "BOOM" like there is with a bigger caliber. That's far from knowledge - just the only explanation I can see that SEEMS to fit ... maybe.

Thanks for the encouragement. Long use of the big fast guns means I KNOW their results very predictably. Teh first time I used my Contender, I was nervous as a cat. Doubt IS a real accuracy killer! Learned that when I first shot in competition, too. Discipline is the only reason I probably made that first pistol shot work, I think. When I got to the deer, I was amazed at the damage that little pistol bullet (125 gr. Nos. BT @ 1971 fps.) had done. Seeing IS believing, and I suspect that I'll again be nervous as the proverbial cat when I draw a bead with my first cast bullet. Seems I'm a slow learner with some things. However, long experience will, I HOPE, keep the hand steady and the squeeze smooth. To tell the truth, I'm actually looking forward to the increased tension involved. It's just gotten to be very boring to use the big guns and fast loads. Too much like going to the grocery store and picking out your meat. I loved bow hunting for the same reason, but can't stand the @#$%^&* gnats here in SE Ga.!!! I can sit and watch a mosquito drink my blood while I burn and itch like crazy, and not bat an eye. Let one gnat get around my face, though, and I start waving "Bye bye" to all the deer anywhere near. Now that I've got a Thermacell, maybe I'll get to bowhunt more too .... if the heat's not unbearable.

If hunting ever ceases to be fun and something of a challenge, I'll quit, and just shoot paper, cans and dirt clods. I think cast should heighten the challenges and excitement, and that's good with a couple of grandboys coming along. Excitement's always contagious. The 7 yr old has his own .223, and I've got some TSX's loaded up. They're doing really good things for that caliber's use on deer. If he winds up half the shot his Dad was, he'll do very well. Can't wait to "blood him." Darn fine kids. I'm a lucky guy in more ways than one.

Boolit Master
    When I hunt with my old Marlin levers or the newer Marlin Cowboy levers . I only use home cast and open , tang or peep sights . I also only cast WW's and don't normally load much over 1600 fps in anything .

So I will put myself in spots that limit my shots to no more then 75 yards .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Buddy
    100 pound deer? 140 pound deer? Where are you guys finding deer that small???

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    100 pound deer? 140 pound deer? Where are you guys finding deer that small???
    When I lived in central Texas I killed several whitetail bucks (ranging from 1 1/2 to 4 1/2 years of age) and none exceeded 85 lbs dressed. I shot a forky that dressed at 64 lbs.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Buddy
    Practice is the key. I once missed a shot at about 10-15 yards. I framed the deer perfect in the rear sight. The front sight was pointed under him. I can miss at any range. If I slow down and concentrate, 25 yards would be a sure kill. Around this part of the country, 50 yards is a very long range shot with ANY firearm. A lot of brush means close shots. A big heavy slow moving slug will usually go right through them.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

I killed a little buck this year with my muzzleloader at a range of maybe 15 feet. Iron sights, of course. My aim was for his heart. My hit was in his spine above his rear legs. That's a 2 foot miss at 15 feet. In my defense, he came from the wrong direction--don't they always?--and I was in an awkward position.

Moderator Emeritus

Junior, a buddy carries a pistol for just such occasions. He and I both have bad backs, and don't swivel around as well as we used to. He always uses a 4" revolver, or a 4-5" auto because they're easier to hold with one hand when the target's close. Amazing how easy it is to miss, ain't it? A bad back sure makes those twist-around shots a LOT harder!

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Blackwater, I learned a couple of things because of that bad shot. The little buck was above me somewhat. My 320 gr REAL pushed with 77 gr FF equiv went through his guts, through his spine, and did not penetrate the skin on the opposite side. IOW, one only hole in the deer. From now on I'll forget the recoil and go with a 100 gr equiv load for more velocity.

Also, from now on I'm packing a Ruger Old Army for a fast (and legal) second shot. I would have lost the little buck if I hadn't broken his spine.