Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milling tools from scrapyard

Milling tools from scrapyard

Was at scrapyard today and they had a couple of buckets of end mills from about 1/4" to slightly over 1". Some looked like new, just ground and heat treated. Some were TIN coated and also looked new, some had wax on the flutes.

They are asking $20 per lb and have about 50lb, for a total of $1000. Question is that worth it? $20 sounds too steep.

I did not have a micro with me, but most of the mills did look new.

Boolit Master
    YEs, very much worth it, especially if still in the wax

Hell even scrap carbide gets $14 a pound

Boolit Master
    Inspect them first if you can, the ones with the wax could be new but most likely resharpened. The other will have corners chipped, or dull edges. Just banging around in a bucket ain't good for them.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master

You can't buy too many new end mills at $20.00 each. I would pick through them and take the ones I wanted even if I did'nt need them.

Larry

good swapping stuff there

Just one question: there were quite a few very small cutters there with 2 straight flutes.
    I looked at them and thought they were router bits. But now I realize they could be mills too.
    They sat in a box with the small approximately 1"x3/4"x1/8 plates with a hole in the middle and two cutting edges. What could those be? I am not familiar with those tools. The best way to describe them would be like extremely short planer blades.

Boolit Grand Master

They could be piloted counter boring tools. Not much good for anything. Any of the traditional endmills less than 3/4" are worth grabbing. Take a set of calipers with you and measure the size of the ones with the dip coating. If they are right on the money, you hit gold. If not, they are re-sharps and very few companies do that correctly.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    Could be wrong but those plates sound like spade drill or something like that. Do they have an angle sort of like a counterbore?. Frank

The plates had cutting angles on two opposite sides facing the same flat side.

Boolit Grand Master

What you describe sounds like router bits. We used millions of them in the urethane mirror mfg. They were used to cut the rabbet for the mirror glass. I also prepared miles of moldings with straight and shaped bits like that. Most had i/2" or 1/4" shanks. Many had a bearing on the end to guide the cut.

Vendor Sponsor

I'd figure out how many I could get for $100 and that would give you an average price per cutter.

Anything over about $2-3 each for resharps is too much, however for the new ones it would be a steal.

If you can pick and choose and buy what you need it would be a deal. If you have to buy the whole lot for $1000 it might be a real long time before you got your money out of them.

I just paid $28 for a 2 flute 7/16 single end mill last Friday. I could have done better price wise elsewhere, but "elsewhere" couldn't deliver on Friday, and I needed it then. The job is worth so much it doesn't matter.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

To get their asking price I have to buy whole pounds, as that's what their scale increment is.
    But my question is why would the new tools end up being sold to the scrap yard for scrap price? Something is fishy.

Probably a shop somewhere that went out of business, or maybe someone died. I've bought lots of "new" tooling for pennies on the dollar at "going out of business sales", "estate sales", "clearance auctions", etc.

There is very little demand, in the general population, for the type of tooling that your're talking about. Doesn't matter if it's brand new or well used, most folks don't even know what the heck it is.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've seen lots of new tooling at scrap yards. No idea why, but suspect it has something to do with inventory time.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I've seen lots of new tooling at scrap yards. No idea why, but suspect it has something to do with inventory time

I worked at a factory where I was told that it was more economical to throw away smaller taps and drills than to take the time to sort out the unused ones. I told them they were full of shinola, and I could prove it to them. I went and grabbed a handful of recently thrown away tooling and proceeded to sort out over $100 of unused taps and drills in less than ten minutes...

...next day they had a lid with a padlock welded on to the top of the scrapped tools tote, with a hole in the top big enough to throw away tooling, but not see or retrieve anything thrown away.

The company (Appleton Electric) has now moved to Mexico, since help like me made it too expensive for the company to be competitive. Fortunately, I had moved on to another job before they pulled up stakes for the greener side of the Rio Grande.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Pick most any big company, and you can buy a lot of that kind of stuff directly. Boeing used to have a huge warehouse of surplus stuff dirt cheap. Here is a current online page for stuff. You never can tell what will be available at any company.

https://active.boeing.com/assocprodu...ults.cfm?scl=t
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy

General population....just clean it out of the area.......

Quote Originally Posted by dpaultx View Post
    Probably a shop somewhere that went out of business, or maybe someone died. I've bought lots of "new" tooling for pennies on the dollar at "going out of business sales", "estate sales", "clearance auctions", etc.

There is very little demand, in the general population, for the type of tooling that your're talking about. Doesn't matter if it's brand new or well used, most folks don't even know what the heck it is.
    Around 15 yrs. ago I got an invite to go to a fellows house that was being sold and put on the market in the next few weeks. The deceased was a local gun club member and his brother was the executor and a hunter in his younger days......My friend that invited me bought alot of cast boolits and primers etc. I was invited because of the lead.....and related stuff. I got a !000# or so lead ingots, Lyman 450, Lyman trimmer, Lyman Melter furnace and a few 4 cav. Lyman molds for 38 and 45......for $100. The executor told me afterwards that for him to pay someone to clean out the "junk" was going to cost him more than $100 so he was happy to get my $100 bucks.....You can only wish for deals like this. When you are looking for them you won't find them. All of a sudden ..."here they are." Keep some cash ready for this and one day it will happen.afish4570

Vendor Sponsor

Good deals do come along now and then.

The trick is to be at the right place at the right time and know what you're looking at, and have some idea of the value.

I have gotten quite a few in my life so far, and intend to get as many more as possible.

Clean living helps. At least that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I once knew a guy who had some problems - diabetes and drinking - he also like to buy / swap guns - one day the drinking put him into a diabetic coma and I got his reloading and casting stuff - that's what put me on this road to trouble.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I've seen lots of new tooling at scrap yards. No idea why,.....
    Companies have to pay taxes on everything that they hold.
    I recently helped to throw about $250,000 of new but unneeded tooling into dumpsters. The tax liability of the tooling was reduced from its' value of tooling to the few cents a pound of its' scrap value.
    The whole business just about made me ill.

Jack