Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graduation

Moderator Emeritus

Dawn, one of the crazy things in life is that you can get a better paying job while attending a college or trade school than you can as a HS Graduate. It doesn't make sense but it seems so.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Congratulations Dawn.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

41 I will try that once I get on my feet and doing what I need to do! Thank you!
    The mind has exactly the same power as the hands: not merely to grasp the world, but to change it. - Colin Wilson...

ok so we have 6 days to go then it is graduation this is going way to fast wow i hope i make it with out bawling my head off..

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiveswife View Post
    ok so we have 6 days to go then it is graduation this is going way to fast wow i hope i make it with out bawling my head off..
    The mother of the graduate is supposed, and allowed to do that.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

She didn't quite make it. She ended up in tears.
    The mind has exactly the same power as the hands: not merely to grasp the world, but to change it. - Colin Wilson...

Boolit Grand Master
    Dawn, my wife shed a tear at my daughters graduation earlier this month. Oddly, my wife's name is Dawn!
    While my daughter was at a few graduation parties my wife and I went out and bought ourselves graduation gifts, we figured we had accomplished something too! Heck, the kid was still alive!

Congrats, dream big, and never stop dreaming.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    All her uncles here that helped with her homework so she could graduate should buy themselves a new mould!
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Had a fun weekend! It was interesting!

Boolit Master
    Here is my 2 cents as a recent college grad. Some one will probably come along in a bit and say the exact opposite.

Don't feel like you have to go to college right away. If you are not sure what you want to study you may want to get out in the world and figure out what you like. I highly recommend leaving your home town if possible. I left and went back 4 years later to visit. Same people doing the same thing. It was like the time hadn't even elapsed. If you want to change and grow up, ya gotta leave home.

A person can waste a lot of time and money jumping from major to major. When choosing a major be sure to do a lot of research into job placement for that degree and that particular school. I know a lot of recent grads who can't find work because of the major they chose. They only thing worse than working at McDonalds as a high school grad is working there as a college degree holder $80,000 in debt.

Learn some skills. Working on cars, welding, machining, electrical work whatever. My Opa made it very clear to me that an economy is constantly fluctuating, the more skills you have the better your odds of making it through rough patch. His advice paid off during college. I hopped from job to job but never was without work. Even during the recent down turn.

Your ability to gather financial aid greatly improves in 3 situations; you join the military, you get married or you turn 23 years old. After one of the those events your parents income and assets no longer count against you on the FAFSA form that you will need to fill out to apply for most college aid. Before getting married Jen and I were barely scraping though, she was in worse shape then me because of her parent's income level. I spent a lot of afternoons in the woods doing home work waiting for dinner to come along for the both of us.

Hopefully you decide on a field that is of some use ie something outside the humanities department. You will probably get the chance to go out and work as an intern or co/op for a semester or more. Take every advantage of that opportunity. After graduation, companies will hire previous interns before even taking resumes from outsiders. An intern is a known quantity to the company.

That is about all I can think of at the moment.

Congratulations on your accomplishment. Life gets much better after high school.
    Last edited by redneckdan; 05-31-2012 at 11:59 PM.
    Some where between here and there.....