WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: .38 special Lee Loader/cast 158gr loads

.38 special Lee Loader/cast 158gr loads

My Lee 358-158swc boolit mold just came in, along with a Lee Loader. I haven't cast anything yet, but have an alloy that's about 1/2 wheel weight and about 1/2 lead pipe, sheet, solder, and range lead. It seems pretty soft and I can easily scratch it with my thumb nail.

I'm wondering if anyone could suggest a "good" load for this. It will be for use in a old police trade in S&W model 64, so it's a solid gun. I'd like something on the fast side.

I don't have any powder yet--but I'm wondering which ones you'd recommend. I read a lot of recipes using ~3.6gr Bullseye, but also saw at least twice people calling it "flammable dirt".

I guess I don't care too much if it's a little dirty or smoky. What I do care about is a powder that is easy to measure CONSISTENTLY with a powder measure. I do have a good digital scale, so I can verify the weight, but I would like to try and get some kind of production with a scoop.

Also--I keep ready of people setting off primers when seating them. I'll wear some leather gloves for this step, and hearing protection. But still--is there any way to avoid this? (I'm a chemist--and an unexpected "bang" causes what we call a "pucker moment")

Thanks for any advice! Should be casting some .38 boolits first thing tomorrow.

Boolit Master
    I am assuming that your lee loader is the original one that you hammer in the brass then the primer etc. I used them for many years and they make OK ammo. You can avoid setting off primers by one of two methods. One is to buy a hand priming tool that several companies sell. The other is to use the lee loader but in lieu of hammering the rod to seat the primer set the die, rod an base in a vise and seat it that way. It is slow but usually will not set off the primer. I have popped more that one primer setting them with a lee loader but as long as you do not have your face over the die it only startles you and makes your ears ring.

L Ross
    Bullseye is not flamable dirt, it is an excellent powder with a long and storied history. Three and a half grains with a 158 swc will make you a very good load in your Smith.

Duke

I agree with L Ross...

Bullseye is an excellent powder and measures very well.

Boolit Buddy
    How do you compare it to Unique/Red Dot?

Quote Originally Posted by -06 View Post
    How do you compare it to Unique/Red Dot?
    I use Red Dot and Unique on a regular basis too for light to moderate handgun loads. Bullseye measures better than Unique out of my Dillon 550b. By "better" I mean more consistent from charge to charge. At one time Unique burned a little dirtier but it was reformulated some years back. In my experience anyway, it burns clean now as does Red Dot. Unique measures very well out of my old RCBS Uniflow bench measure.

For me anyway, in the Dillon Bullseye measures a little more uniformly than Unique. Red Dot measures about the same as Bullseye.
    All three measure well out of the Uniflow.

Hope this helps.

I just checked the Alliant website. They are listing a 158gr LSWC load with 3.5gr Bullseye with a speed of 814fps (out of a 6"). I think that should be a good place to start! I'm sure the local shooter supply has some.

I'll see how it goes with the Lee Loader--I had one for 12 gauge about 15 years ago. It was slow going, but it did work. And I don't have the time to burn up thousands of rounds (unfortunately!). It will hold me over until I can find a decent used Challenger or other good used press. They are neat tools to have around.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by L Ross View Post
    Bullseye is not flamable dirt, it is an excellent powder with a long and storied history. Three and a half grains with a 158 swc will make you a very good load in your Smith.

Duke
    + another, Bulleye is an excellent powder and I find it no "dirtier" than most others. The smoke and dirt most often is from the bullet lube. A long time ago I found if you dance you pay the band.....so if you shoot a gun expect to clean the gun.......unless you are my wife who says "that's your job".........

The 3.5 gr load will be excellent and 4 gr will duplicate factory 38 SPL 158 gr loads.

Larry Gibson

Yup--that's also the only way I can get my wife to shoot. "Sure honey--I'll gladly clean that!"

I don't mind some dirt--I love my .50 Hawken "smoke pole", but man that thing is a slob to clean. Really I was more worried with measuring consistency.

I did get some bullseye, and just finished casting about 50 boolits, so I'll pan lube some of them up and see what I can do.

I have used 3.0 gr. Red Dot with cast 148 wadcutters for about 35 years in a S&W K-38. It is a very mild load.
    In .45 ACP I use 4.0-5.3 gr. Bullseye with 200 gr Lyman 452460. 4.0 is a mild target load. Higher charges give a bit more oomph.
    Again in .45 ACP, I use 6.0 gr. Unique with Lyman 452374 RN (about 220 gr). It gives ballistics pretty close to military hardball, according to Lyman manual.
    I just loaded some .38 Special 357443 SWC with 5.0 gr. Unique. It gives good accuracy in a S&W M19.

Keyhole
    Last edited by keyhole; 04-14-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: correct mold number