MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expected results??

Banned

Expected results??

I have stuff laying around and what I could expect.
    15lbs Beeswax
    16oz Lanolin
    2 toilet bowl rings
    15 sticks BAC lube
    5 quarts Xlox 350

Would this work?
    What consistency could I expect?
    What velocity might be achievable?
    Anything else to add to improve?

Happy New Year

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

lube

I will suggest that you do some reading and look at all the lube recipes that are recorded in the sticky section.
    Your toilet rings are as far as I'm concerned the only thing on your list that has
    questionable uses. They are no longer the 100% beeswax of years past. They are made in third world countries that would add anything to have a product.
    Depending on what you load or shoot is the way to go with your lube making.
    There is a huge difference between smokeless and black powder as you should not use any type of petroleum product with the shooting of BP.
    The one exception to that is the canning type of paraffin which has been so refined because it is used in the food process that almost all traces of regular oil is gone.
    The making of lube is not just throwing a bunch of the correct type products together.
    Many a member has ended up with 5 gallon buckets full of a useless goo.
    If you only shoot a few times a month and only plink then the purchase of products such as those made by Lar at White Label is the way to go.
    Look in the sticky section with a search on lube making. Take Care David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    I would try to make some 50/50, toss the bowl rings out, keep your sticks as is.

If you want to experiment with a concoction, I would make a small batch of all your ingredients.

Boolit Grand Master
    Cajun is givin' it to ya' straight. Throwin' a bunch of whatever ya' got in a pot and blending it is not the answer.

One thing that caught my attention in your post was, you mentioned 'Xlox 350'. I just came from Lar's site and didn't see the 350 designation anywhere. Am I missing something new?

A lot of guys just use the Xlox and do so very successfully. I'm one of them.

I'll make a suggestion: Tell us what calibers you're wanting lubes for and get some suggestions on good choices. You'll get lots of suggestions, but at least you'll have a list to choose from.

Oh, and the toilet rings? Use them for what they were made for, not boolit lube.

Boolit Grand Master
    Why does everyone want to reinvent the wheel on lubes right off the bat?

Search this site for recipes, there are many that are proven to work. People have put much time, effort, and money into getting these recipes to work. Take advantage of that work and stick with what is proven.

Cajun ace you sound advice. Go off half cocked and you soon have that 5 gallon bucket of goo.

Boolit Master
    With 15 sticks of BAC on hand you can, depending on what calibers you are loading for, lube between 15,000 and 25,000 boolits. That should keep you shooting for quite a while.

The beeswax and Alox 350 could be used to make up the NRA 50-50 lube which can be used for many applications. A couple of other good lubes are Lithi-Bee, Moly-Bee, their varients, and FWFL. The recipes are here on the site along with a lot of good discussion about them. You will need some additional ingredients for these, but you already have the one, beeswax, that is the hardest to get hold of for most. The other ingredients are things like chassis grease. mineral oil, odorless meneral spirits, castor oil, and Ivory soap all of which should be available at wally world, or at the nearby grocery stores, drug stores, and auto supply stores.

You didn't say what calibers you are casting for and whether you are pan lubing, tumble lubing or using a lubesizer. This information will help us understand where you are coming from so we can help you on your journey just as we were helped on ours.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Banned
    Will be used just for pistol rounds. 38spcl - 44mag.
    I've read for days the recipes section.
    So I'll forget throwing in the toilet rings.
    The 15lbs of bees and at about 2lb/qt for the Xlox = 10lbs.
    Should come to a 60/40 mix???
    From what I've read this should be a little stiffer than 50/50.
    What effect will 1 lb of Lanolin have on it??
    My taking is it will help it stick to the bullet??
    I'm running a Lyman with a heater and thermostat.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 750k2 View Post
    The 15lbs of bees and at about 2lb/qt for the Xlox = 10lbs.
    ???? My math must be off here????

SMALL BATCHES!!!!!!! How about making a pound (or less) first. Make a small test batch and see how it works. 50/50 works, add some Lanolin to help it stick if it needs it.

i tend to agree with most the other fellows , make a small batch that works and only then make a large batch but i suppose 15-25 pounds of flux can eventually be used ...but it's your money ( and there's way cheaper fluxes around )
    where i dont agree is that bowl wax shouldnt be used , it is problematic however but good results can be had with diligence , i've had decent luck with dick dastardly's pearl lube but i use a umm improved version , works pretty well with black powder up thru mid range loads anyways , it uses bowl wax
    lanolin and beeswax makes a fair lube you just have to find the right proportions
    i too read re-read and continued to read the recipe section ( in fact i still pursue it from time to time ) but until i actually started trying lil batches it didnt all come together for me but as always your mileage may vary ,btw ? FWFL simply works great as does speed green and many of it's various imitators , you didnt state what velocity you're after on your choice of calibers but if you're only plinking with target type loads the demands arent that great ,good luck on your quest
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Grand Master

Hey! you got all the hard to get stuff to make FWFL. I love that stuff.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Why does everyone want to reinvent the wheel on lubes right off the bat?
    Search this site for recipes, there are many that are proven to work. People have put much time, effort, and money into getting these recipes to work. Take advantage of that work and stick with what is proven.
    I believe it's the nature of the beast (the boolit caster).
    us caster's want to make our own boolits instead of buying J-words or commercial cast bullets, and of course we were all reloaders before that...making/assembling our own ammo instead of buying factory made ammo. So it just makes sense that we'd want to make our own lube
    that's how I see it anyway, as that's what I wanted to do.
    BTW, I had marginal success and wish I would have taken the advise you are giving this caster.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    I understand the need to try something new. Totally get it. What I don't see is the desire to do it right off the bat with no real knowledge of what you are doing.
    I would love input on designing a new house but sure wouldn't draw the plans up myself!

My suggestion in this case is to try small lots. Make a half pound or so. Try it and see what works and what doesn't. A half pound will lube many thousands of bullets and give a good test. It also needs to be tried in both the hottest and coldest weather you might ever shoot in. Don't forget hunting weather.

I stick with tried and true because I know that I don't know!

Boolit Grand Master

Kind of reminds me of the old saying "so many women, so little time". Guess the same holds true of lubes. For me however, when I find what works, I try not to fix it.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Banned
    How is this something new?
    It's just bullet lube.
    Got all this stuff figure it'll work - mix it up
    and I don't have to worry about lube the rest of my days.

if i follow the logic of " a pint is a pound the world around" on the beeswax ( the purist may wish to debate this but for this scientific wild umm guess it's close enough ) figure just shy of two gallons or 7 1/2 quarts of beeswax , add 5 quarts of alox ( without anything else you have mentioned ) and the results IMHO will be a lil stiff and not quite as good as the old 50/50 beeswax/alox mix , everything else you have listed with the exception of the lanolin wont soften it up much , and the lanolin last i looked ( unless you have lanolin oil ) is rather thick in it's own right ( not to mention tacky stikki and etc ) and wont contribute much to the softening of the mix ( it will a lil bit but .... for practical purposes and this recipe [shrugz] )
    a lube can be too soft to hard to slick and a bunch of other things , the toilet/slack wax adds alot of unknowns and precious lil softness , like i stated before the worst that can happen is that you'll have a 5 gallon bucket of swell ( but expensive flux ) and i'd honestly rather see you try a small batch ( easy enough to figure the portions ) and test than throw it all together and then go [doh] but either way we'd love to hear of your results with it and wish you the best while we wait lithi bee alone should do what you ask or the 50/50 mix .....
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Grand Master
    Sorry I replied. I wrongly assumed you actually wanted an opinion.

Boolit Master

Small batches until you know what you want is good advice.. Also use Lanolin 1 tablespoon or 1 teaspoon per lb in ALMOST any lube to give it some "STICK" OR use it mixed with beeswax for a fantastic black powder lube...Personally I would use beeswax and olive oil or Crisco and add a bit of Lanolin for black powder. Lanolin is $9/lb. Crisco I can steal from the wife

Boolit Grand Master

It'd make a great flux!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 750k2 View Post
    How is this something new?It's just bullet lube.
    Got all this stuff figure it'll work - mix it up
    and I don't have to worry about lube the rest of my days.
    You've made boolit lube before ?
    If so, why are you asking questions ?

btroj's comment was stating that it's new to you,
    not new to the world of boolit lube.

Lot's of knowledged people here are giving you some good advice by reading between the lines of your questions...seems these things are NOT what your wanting to hear.

That's OK, By all means, mix everything up.
    You'll have a lube that may flow through your heated sizer and will work great for
    most all pistol loads and some rifle loads. It might be sticky, ie handling the boolits
    while reloading, your fingers will get sticky and then everything you touch will get a thin layer of boolit lube...or maybe not, but that's my guess with your recipe. also, you may get some stinky clouds while shooting.

For example, Lith-bee is a fine lube, but smells like a grease fire when shooting with
    some powders. When a friend of mine mixed up a lb or two, after he tried it and wasn't happy with it...well I guess it sat on his shelf for years. Then, one day, I was in your shoes, wanting to make my own lube for the first time, he traded me some ingrediants I needed and then he sure seemed happy to give to me-no charge-all that Lith-bee...after I loaded some rounds and shot it, I PIFed all of it to others here, under full disclosure.
    Good Luck,
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

lithi bee can be modified.
    i'd just do b.a.c with 5% lanolin.
    i have pushed that to 2200 and over in some cases.
    viscosity matters in boolit lube.
    you can fix in the bbl. and some down range problems by adjusting the viscosity of a lube.