WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GP100 vs S&W 686

Boolit Master
    I like my Ex-WVA state trooper S&W 686. Its nickel plated 4 inch and is very accurate. Plus its super cast boolit friendly. A 158SWC boolit and5-6 grains of Unique and its a good all around gun. Plus super accurate with 3 grains of bullesye.

I've been leaning to the GP but used ones are within a few bucks of new. The 686's are everywere and don't seem to hold there value very well. Used 686 run around 200 less than new maybe the market can't support all the 686's out there.
    If I do get the GP who does good trigger work? I want it slicked up and smooth as glass.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    I like my Ex-WVA state trooper S&W 686. Its nickel plated 4 inch and is very accurate. Plus its super cast boolit friendly. A 158SWC boolit and5-6 grains of Unique and its a good all around gun. Plus super accurate with 3 grains of bullesye.
    They nickle plated a Stainless gun????? Please tell me you are kidding.

No wonder there are about nine million variuations of S&W's. Although some of their gun of the week variants were neat.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I have owned a lot of smiths and still have a few but I mostly shoot Ruger Security Six revolvers. I have a 4 inch blues one that I bought in the early 70s and a Six inch stainless one I got used in the early 90s. I also have a GP 100 that I bought just because it had the best trigger I ever felt on a DA revolver new out of the box except for a Colt Python I had at one time. I have done trigger jobs on all my rugers except for the GP 100 as it did not need it. My Blued Security Six has at last check over 75,000 rounds through it. They were a mix of 38 spl and 357 mags. The gun is still as tight as the day I bought it and the timing is still right one. I have replace no parts and except for some wear on the blue from holsters it is as new as near as I can tell. The only S&W I have fired near as much was a Model 15 38 spl and after some 30,000 rounds I had to send it back to Smith to get it tightened up and retimed. By the way I fired no +P loads in it at all.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by warf73 View Post
    I've been leaning to the GP but used ones are within a few bucks of new. The 686's are everywere and don't seem to hold there value very well. Used 686 run around 200 less than new maybe the market can't support all the 686's out there.
    If I do get the GP who does good trigger work? I want it slicked up and smooth as glass.
    If you can get used 686's for less than $200 I'd like to know where so I can stock up on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    If you can get used 686's for less than $200 I'd like to know where so I can stock up on them.
    LOL read my post a little closer it says 200 less than new not 200 if it was 200 I would buy one
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by warf73 View Post
    I'm not sure you can get there from here. IMO a GP (and I own one) will never be as smooth in DA as a Smith. OTOH with wolf reduced power trigger return spring my GP SA is as good as my K-38 SA trigger. They both are nice, clean and break at 2 lbs.
    In the years I shot PPC (mainly a DA game) I rarely if ever saw a GP on the line, 99% S&W
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master
    A GP-100 trigger can be made smooth, it won't feel like a S&W, but niether does a Colt DA trigger. A Ruger Security-Six can have a decent trigger, too. If you read the guys that were familiar with the pre-war long double action S&W's, they weren't very impressed with the short double action that most people seem to like these days.

IMO the reason that just about everybody compares double action triggers to S&W is the fact that S&W made and sold so many revolvers that they are everywhere.

A mechanical action that does the same job, with different engineering will not feel the same even if it takes the same amount of effort.

Its all in what you get used to. If a person put 25,000 rounds through an RG, (if it would last that long) I bet they could do some amazing shooting with that particular gun.

Robert

friend of mine has abused a gp100 ALOT!!! and it is still a great shooter. he has bib'd and let'er bang stuck a jacket in the forcing cone and fired several rounds and his gunsmith wanted to slap him but the revolver is still in service and a great shooter. gp100 is one stout gun and can be had for less than most smiths
    It don't make much sense that commonsense don't make no sense nomore

If you died today would you have lived your life or have you simply existed

Boolit Master

I have to agree with the triggers on the new GP100. I have several security sixes and the all got some polishing and new spring kits. They are much better now. I'm not even going to touch my new GP 100. It has been dry fired about 500 times and has that much in ammo through it and it is a joy to shoot.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

We have a gun show coming up next weekend, I'll be looking high and low for a nice GP in the price range I think a used one should be at.
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GP100man View Post
    I`ve shot em all & the Rugers stayed in time & no screws lost the longest , that`s why they stayed .

As far as accuracy all of em shot better than I could hold !!

As far as caring & maintaining the lockworks , no simplier than the Ruger, no more complicated than the Colt with S&W in the middle.

The colt turns clockwise bassakwards from anything else & may cause first up ammo mishaps & has a cyl latch you pull (no likey)

The S&W is better at least the cyl turns the rite way , & ya can push the cyl release but it bites!!

BUT , I`m not biased ,Ilike ALL Rugers !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    I'm not sure you can get there from here. IMO a GP (and I own one) will never be as smooth in DA as a Smith. OTOH with wolf reduced power trigger return spring my GP SA is as good as my K-38 SA trigger. They both are nice, clean and break at 2 lbs.
    In the years I shot PPC (mainly a DA game) I rarely if ever saw a GP on the line, 99% S&W
    Warf,
    These guys said it all. I carried a blued S&W 686 (yes, they made them, but only in 1989 and only about 7500 were ever made) for my first 5 years at the Sheriff's Ofc., and in spite of it being stainless, winter-time, rain, regular/constant cold-to-warm air transitions (causing condensation), did lead to some corrosion, but that would have happened to any revolver of that era.

Interestingly, I had a friend challenge me to a duel (on paper targets...) with my S&W vs. his Ruger GP-100. We shot at ranges to 100 yards. He held in pretty tight to what I was shooting with my S&W, but I beat him. We switched guns, and I still beat him in the shoot-off, shooting his gun while he was shooting mine... So, I'd say the shooter has a lot more to do with the accuracy than the potential built into each gun (which both are fantastically accurate).

I'd say the GP does have a slight durability edge over the 686, but it's pretty small for the use most people put their handguns. IHMSA shooters would see a benefit in durability to the GP, I believe - but most of us will just never shoot them hard enough. I have over 10k rounds through my 686, and it's still quite tight.

The S&W DA trigger blows the Ruger out of the water, right from the factory. I HAVE felt a few GP-100 triggers that are LIGHT, but they are not as smooth, because the Ruger trigger system has a built-in catch or click about 2/3 of the way through the pull. Even on a light trigger that doesn't go away.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMineA10mm View Post

The S&W DA trigger blows the Ruger out of the water, right from the factory. I HAVE felt a few GP-100 triggers that are LIGHT, but they are not as smooth, because the Ruger trigger system has a built-in catch or click about 2/3 of the way through the pull. Even on a light trigger that doesn't go away.
    Must be all rugers as my sp101 has that same catch/click which does drive me nutty in slow fire but isn't noticeable during normal fire.
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Buddy
    There's a reason you don't see many Rugers in competitions like IDPA, USPSA, IPSC, and ICORE. The lengthy double action trigger, the false reset, and the catch described above make the guns difficult at best to be competitive with.

About the best double action Ruger trigger (besides my LCR) that I've ever shot was my GPNY. Perhaps it was the double action only mechanism but the false reset and the catch were not nearly as noticeable, although they were still present.

now ive heard of and seen the 586 smiths that are blue but never seen nor heard of a blue 686. i had...[ i know huh] an 8 inch 686 and boy was it a shooter. ive currently got a gp100 in 6 inch that i really like. if i find a 8 inch ruger think ill have to snatch it up as well.......i like em!!!!

Boolit Master
    If you have only those two to choose from I'd take the S&W product. But then I have little interest in Rugers.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

In Remembrance
    I'm a Smith man all the way and for decades.

However, if I could only have ONE gun for the rest of my life, it would be a SIX-INCH GP100.

The trigger can be smoothed on the Rugers and I'm also of the opinion that a GP100 is dang near indestructible.

I love my Smiths, but I'm also a realist.

Boolit Master
    I've owned several of each but now have neither. My choice in .357 is the S&W Model 27. It's got the strength of the Ruger with the refinements of the Smith and weighs about the same.

I've got probably close to 12,000 rounds through my 6" Stainless GP and I'm looking for another in case I ever wear this one out.....

Out Practicing
    “I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”
    ― Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

Boolit Master

This thread is starting to look whether Ford is better than Chevy. We all know Ford is better!!!
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin