MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 480 Ruger Shooters

Boolit Grand Master

480 Ruger Shooters

what is your boolit weight of choice ??
    Do ya'll go with the factory givens or do you use something else??
    What do you use for powder and do you follow book guidelines for powder charge or do you push it ?
    p/b or gas check ??
    seems as though there are not a bunch of choices as far as boolit styles and weights ...
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    guess not many chute the 480
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I just cast a few of the Mihec HP's and am about to weigh some and figure out how much H-110 to use. My load will be in my 5 shot Vaquero so it may be heavy for a SRH.

Those Mihecs look long, but a quick check beside my LBT and Lee boolits show they won't seat much deeper if any at all(plus they have 2 crimp grooves).

Boolit Junkie
    I have a 9.5 SRH and shoot a 410 gr LBT LFN. 21 gr of 296 gives me 1150 fps. Most accurate load I've come across so far.

So far I just use a 400gr boolit, as for powder I got a nice plinking load using Red Dot and still working with the winny 296 powder for my serious stuffs.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

387gr from straight WW

Hodgdon shows 24-26 for a 370 cast, and 20-22 for a 405 cast using H110.

I'll probably start with 22-23 grains of H110 and a CCI-350, if that isn't a compressed load. All depends on how long I can seat it since my Vaquero has a regular length cylinder.

Boolit Grand Master
    so far I have only used 19 gr of H110 and it is very accurate (my huntin' load)
    and speaking of Accurate I am using one of Tom's 420 gr'r
    in the p/b for now have one of the same in a g/c coming see which one is mo betta
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

In Remembrance

Lee 400 gr. FP over 21 gr. H-110. Very accurate in Tarus Raging Bull scoped.

Ended up loading them at 23.0gr of H110 at the longest groove. Only loaded 15 as they don't have much room to pull without tying up the revolver. I'll run one a couple times around and measure for any pull.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Lee 400gr mold and its "ok".

if you and anyone else interested go to http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/ and down on the left under "important links" there is one called "have an idea for a product" and check ruger 480. he is thinking of doing a bullet for two for us and he always has great molds, for a great price.

There aren't many of us 480 shooters and even less casters, lets try to help out.

Boolit Master

As we all know, John Linebaugh is the recognized daddy of the .475 Linebaugh and kin.
    When he was finally successful in convincing Ross Seyfried to try it out a path to public exposure was made.
    Among the published accounts and recommendations we find that both gentlemen agreed on the single most efficient (effective? ) bullet weight was the 385 gr. produced ATT by LBT.

Boolet wgt.,not being the most important factor in producing accuracy, was of importance in the game taking aspect of their discussions.

It's in the records.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Still in the playing stages with my SRH and so far have had excellent luck with the 400gr boolits. I'm on the list for the GC 400+ by Miha and looking forward to that mold and have shown my interest towards the RD 480 project also. Recently ordered a .411" mold from Mike and want to shoot this through the BH soon.
    Charlie

Boolit Buddy

I've shot 3 bullets in the 480. A 370 grain Cast Performance LFN with 25 grains H110, a 400 grain Lee with 19.0 grains of AA #9 or AA 4100 and a 285 grain CBE with usually 23 grains AA#9 or the same of AA 4100. Originally I was shooting a 7.5" SRH (which I stupidly traded for a 454 Casull). Now I'm only shooting an H&R Handi rifle that was re-bored for 480 (it was before any 480 rifles were out and I was impatient). These loads were accurate in the SRH, but I have never gotten the Handi where I wanted it accuracy wise.

Without looking it up my recollection is that all these loads are within the parameters in the published loading manuals. However user beware. They were safe in my gun, your mileage may vary.

With the SRH I shot a large doe at about 18 paces using the 400 Lee. I shot her headon just to the left of her sternum kind of high in the chest. The bullet took out several ribs on entry and as it went down her side, then punched a huge hole in her lungs and liver, shatter her left side ham bone and came to rest just under the hide. The bullet had mushroomed very well (as if it needed to) and retained probably 95% of it's weight.

It was my first kill with a handgun and with a bullet I cast. Needless to say I kept the bullet and case. I hope you enjoy the 480 as much as I do. Anybody have a 480 SRH to trade for a 454 SRH ?

David

Boolit Master

The 480 Ruger is my handgun of choice. When I bought mine 1 1/2 yrs ago or so, all I could find at the time was the Laser Cast 355gr. Then I came across 1k or so of 355gr boolits. I bought them for $50. I'm guessing they're from Laser Cast also, but am not for sure as the boxes weren't the same.
    I loved my 41 mags till I bought this SRH 9.5".
    I believe without going out into the shop and looking, I have mine loaded up with 21.0gr of H110.
    Got a couple of questions I'm hoping those on here with more experience with the 480 in the SRH can answer.
    I'm wanting to use this gun for deer, hogs, ect.

Has anyone had any problems with their SRH shooting high at 25yrds?
    I've tried all the powders Laser Cast published to use, plus what I could find in the manuals.
    Still the same problems, 4" high at 25yrds, rear sight bottomed out.

I could see the POA would drop when I stepped it out to 50, 75, 100yrds, but 99.9% of deer killed here, are within 30yrds. Anything further you're flirting with too much undergrowth.

The molds thru Ranch Dog..... Are these made thru Lee? I would much prefer to give my business to the mold makers and other vendors on here, but I have a real hang up with Lee molds. If they are made thru Lee, is the same cheap QC go into these molds, like they are when you buy from somewhere like Midway?
    I'm going to look at Ranch Dogs site, on the special interest. I just hate Lees quality.

I've got one Lee mold for the 480 I just cast up some late last week. I believe it's the 325gr GC boolit.
    I just went to Ranch Dogs site and thru my interest in on the 480/475 boolit molds
    Last edited by 41 mag fan; 12-07-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Measure the height of your front sight and compare it to what is avaliable from say Brownells. You may have a short sight and it is easily changed on the SRH. Also, 21 with a 325 seems a bit light. Check your loading manuals and if you can step up the speed, it will hit lower.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Ray View Post
    As we all know, John Linebaugh is the recognized daddy of the .475 Linebaugh and kin.
    When he was finally successful in convincing Ross Seyfried to try it out a path to public exposure was made.
    Among the published accounts and recommendations we find that both gentlemen agreed on the single most efficient (effective? ) bullet weight was the 385 gr. produced ATT by LBT.

Boolet wgt.,not being the most important factor in producing accuracy, was of importance in the game taking aspect of their discussions.

It's in the records.
    Pepe Ray
    But in Ross's testing he came to favor a 430 grain bullet that he hunted all manner of game with.
    Semper Fidelis

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tek4260 View Post
    Measure the height of your front sight and compare it to what is avaliable from say Brownells. You may have a short sight and it is easily changed on the SRH. Also, 21 with a 325 seems a bit light. Check your loading manuals and if you can step up the speed, it will hit lower.
    Boolit from Oregon Trail is the 355gr GC. By what they sent 23.5gr is max.
    I've loaded to 23.3gr, and my best groups were at 21.0gr.
    But all were still 4" high.

I've looked at the front sight issue, and Brownells, if i believe correct, had only the standard height. There was a place over in Ohio I located, about a taller front sight, I just never got around to ordering it.
    Thats probably the route I'll go, but I'm also wanting to jump to heavier boolits for it also.

I read somewhere, don't know if its true or not, but SRH are notorious for shooting high. Don't know if it's true, just what I came across one time.

Boolit Buddy
    41MAGFAN

The sight height should be:
    SRH 454: 0.310
    SRH 44: 0.332
    SRH 480: 0.390

You might check and see if you might have a 454 or 44 Mag front sight on yours.

Midway carries Marble Fiber Optic front sights for it. 334-505 is a Green 480 sight.
    It is great in the woods. You should be impressed with it.

My loads:
    Summer General Purpose Carry Load:
    400 gr Lee over 8.0 Unique

#1 Hunting Load:
    400 gr WFP Lee cast from wheel weights over 18.0 gr. of AA#9

#2 Hunting Load:
    355 Oregan Trail Laser Cast over 20.0 gr. of AA#9

Snake Load:
    app 175 gr of #9 or #12 shot over 4.0 gr. of Clays

I also have a Lee 325 GC Mold, My gun does not seem to like it very well. I need to play with it a little more.

I have a 7.5 Super Red Hawk 480 with a Marble Green Fiber Optic front sight, and Hogue Tamer Grip.
    I also have a 9.5 Super Redhawk 480 with Marble Green Fiber Optic front sight, Hogue Tamer grip, and a 30mm UltraDot in Ruger rings.
    I bagged a Doe and an 11 Point Buck with mine this Missouri deer season. Tagged Out with one Any Deer and One Antlerless Only Tag. Both with the Oregon Trail 355 WFP GC.

Love the 480 Ruger Super Red Hawk.

Bob R

Boolit Junkie
    You can get a taller front sight directly from Ruger for under $10 that will fix your problem.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Viper225 View Post
    41MAGFAN

The sight height should be:
    SRH 454: 0.310
    SRH 44: 0.332
    SRH 480: 0.390

You might check and see if you might have a 454 or 44 Mag front sight on yours.

Midway carries Marble Fiber Optic front sights for it. 334-505 is a Green 480 sight.
    It is great in the woods. You should be impressed with it.

My loads:
    Summer General Purpose Carry Load:
    400 gr Lee over 8.0 Unique

#1 Hunting Load:
    400 gr WFP Lee cast from wheel weights over 18.0 gr. of AA#9

#2 Hunting Load:
    355 Oregan Trail Laser Cast over 20.0 gr. of AA#9

Snake Load:
    app 175 gr of #9 or #12 shot over 4.0 gr. of Clays

I also have a Lee 325 GC Mold, My gun does not seem to like it very well. I need to play with it a little more.

I have a 7.5 Super Red Hawk 480 with a Marble Green Fiber Optic front sight, and Hogue Tamer Grip.
    I also have a 9.5 Super Redhawk 480 with Marble Green Fiber Optic front sight, Hogue Tamer grip, and a 30mm UltraDot in Ruger rings.
    I bagged a Doe and an 11 Point Buck with mine this Missouri deer season. Tagged Out with one Any Deer and One Antlerless Only Tag. Both with the Oregon Trail 355 WFP GC.

Love the 480 Ruger Super Red Hawk.

Bob R
    Bob, looks like I've got the correct front sight. On that .390, thats taking it from the bottom of the base to top of blade, right?
    I tried AA9 and my groups were better with the H110.

I cast a few hundred up on that Lee 325gr GC late last week. I'm waiting for them to fuly cure before I try them out.

I need to really get it back out, I put it up early spring, and started on my 500, 223's, 45's and I think a few other guns I've bought and forgot.

That green fiber optic sight from Midway standard height?

Quote Originally Posted by castblast View Post
    You can get a taller front sight directly from Ruger for under $10 that will fix your problem.

I called Ruger about that back in Jan. They told me they only make standard sights, nothing taller like what I'm needing.