Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A better priming method?

Boolit Man

A better priming method?

Just need a little advice from those who know... I need a better priming method...have been using a RCBS hand priming tool and it works fine...but there has got to be a better, faster, easier on the hands way! It is fine for a couple hundred rounds...gets sucky after that. I'm Using a Hornady Lock n Load turrett and really like it...just don't like priming through that machine...don't like forcing primers into casing...only 12 inches from the powder...just an uneasy feeling. Any ideas? Thanks guys. Scott

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Prime in batches. Do what you are comfortable with, take a break, do some more.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    If you are only interested in a hand type priming tool, I can't really help you much. However, if you want a bench type, as far as I'm concerned, you cannot beat the RCBS AutoPrime.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    Till a couple weeks ago, I had been using a Lee hand primer, but seating Wolf large rifle and pistol primers requires the thumb strength of a Sumo wrestler. I bought a Lyman Ram Prime and am very satisified with its operation and performance.

Boolit Buddy

The bench mount RCBS works great also . Haven't any experience with the Auto Prime.. My 2˘ Russ.

Boolit Grand Master
    The Lyman Ram Prime is my favorite priming system.

May not be the fastest, but for me it is clearly the most trouble free and dependable.

Boolit Master
    +1 on the RCBS bench mounted primer I love mine it's all I've used for the last 20 years and all I plan on useing for the next 20. Dennis

Banned

I agree that the RCBS hand primer can't be beat for tough hand priming jobs. If that is wearing you out, take Onokie's advice or get a bench-mounted system. Personally, I detest tube-fed priming mechanisms, and the plastic strip system is probably safer but even more stupid to me from a user's perspective, so I end up priming either by hand or with my turret or progressives. YMMV. I haven't used the Lyman Ram Prime, but have an RCBS universal press-mounted kit that provides a shellholder die for the top of the press (you'll be up-close and personal with it if you pop one!) and it works very well, just use a latex glove for handling primers without getting salt/oil/sweat from your fingertips on the priming compound when placing it in the cup. Occasionally I'll break out the RCBS hand primer for stuff that I batch load and don't have a Lee shellholder for. Although weaker and made from cheap materials, the Lee is much faster and more convenient for me than the RCBS, but I have nearly 20 year's habit formed with the Lee.

Gear

Boolit Master
    +1 on the RCBS bench mounted primer I love mine it's all I've used for the last 20 years and all I plan on useing for the next 20. Dennis Link http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=457599

Boolit Master

I like the Lee AutoPrime II. It's a ram prime like unit that primes on top of the press, but has a tray that holds 100 primers, so unlike the Lyman you don't need to manually place the primers in it for each shell. I also like that it uses regular press shell holders, not the special ones needed for a Lee hand priming tool.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master
    My Lee safety prime system works rather well on the Classic cast turrent press. It probally will also work OK on a cheaper single stage lever prime press.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    My Lee safety prime system works rather well on the Classic cast turrent press. It probally will also work OK on a cheaper single stage lever prime press.
    That is dependent on whether or not the SS press has a place to mount the plastic Safety-Prime bracket.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie2 View Post
    Just need a little advice from those who know... I need a better priming method...have been using a RCBS hand priming tool and it works fine...but there has got to be a better, faster, easier on the hands way! It is fine for a couple hundred rounds...gets sucky after that. I'm Using a Hornady Lock n Load turrett and really like it...just don't like priming through that machine...don't like forcing primers into casing...only 12 inches from the powder...just an uneasy feeling. Any ideas? Thanks guys. Scott
    Remove the powder and other dies from the press. I do this occasionally on my progressive when I just want to prime a large batch of rifle brass.

For pure priming, Forster/Bonanza/Co-Ax is as good as it gets. Precise seating depth and no shell holders needed. You will prime a couple hundred cases in nothing flat and not have sore body parts.

You might rethink your aversion to priming on your press. If smokeless propellant is not right on the primer and confined, it won't ignite.

You can help an RCBS hand primer out a bit by fully disassembling it , wiping parts clean then applying wheel bearing grease to all the moving parts. Pivot pins and ball and socket joints. Light oil just does not get it done. Another advantage of grease is it will last for a couple years.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for all the advice! Good ideas!

Boolit Bub

Smile A better priming method

started with a lee handloader kit in the 60's. hammering the primer in. back then it was good enough. some where away the way. i picked up a couple of old lee screw in shell holder type priming tool. works great too. then a lee auto priming tool. used that in the car between trips to sports or chruch,etc. thousands of rounds out of the house or watching the tv. rcbs hand priming tool as a gift. rcbs brench auto as a treat for me. then the press mounted rcbs aps tool. they all work well so far very well for my use here and there after 35 years or so.

Boolit Buddy
    Have used the RCBS hand prime tool"with shellholders" for 15 years, Hornady hand tool very good also.

Boolit Grand Master
    The priming step of a 310 tool works well when used by itself... you can batch prime that way if you like. The old style Lee (screw in shell holders) also does a creditable job and uses the whole hand in an ergonomic (to me at least) manner.

For me though, the re- and decappers used by the Schuetzen set make the best job of it. They are not as widely available as some of the others mentioned in this thread, but the styles made popular by Harry Pope and George Schoyen among others, are being copied in modern form. They allow you to decap your fired case, clean and examine the primer pocket, then positively seat the new primer by squeezing a handle or pair of handles in a sort of "nut cracker" movement. I prefer this to all other styles of priming, but as with all things, YMMV.

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 09-09-2011 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Clean up wording.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    For pure priming, Forster/Bonanza/Co-Ax is as good as it gets. Precise seating depth and no shell holders needed. You will prime a couple hundred cases in nothing flat and not have sore body parts.

+1 on the Co-Ax. I started reloading with an RCBS Rockchucker (great press) and used the tube primer system that came with that (not so great). Then for years I used an RCBS hand primer, which I liked better. Finally, after nearly 20 years of reloading and developing gorilla like hand strength, I bought a Co-Ax. Great press and a great single priming system.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell