Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Custom Ruger SA options

Custom Ruger SA options

I have a few Rugers and have thoughts of doing some work on them. Things like redoing my 41 Mag I inherited from an uncle into a 45 Colt. A single six given to me by one of my dads good friend from22 to 32 H&R.

But the question is ....

How many frame sizes are there and what are they able to be converted to in a 5 or 6 shot?

Boolit Master

There are 4 frame "sizes". The smallest is the Bearcat, followed by the Single Six, Flat-top and new Vaquero, then largest is the new model Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk and original Vaquero.

Boolit Master

I would suggest buying Bowen's book and reading through it before deciding on a custom. His website will give you some ideas also. And theres always the idea to hunt gunbroker for a used custom.

Both conversions are entirely possible as 6 shot, but you might be money ahead to go ahead and buy a 45 and a 32 Single Six vs the cost of conversion.

Boolit Master
    I'd leave the 41 mag as is, caliber is a little hard to come by and is very potent.

As for the Single six in 22? Guess it depends on the condition of said gun! If it's trashed do what you will if it's clean keep it original or sell it for the cash to buy the 32

Banned

like was said you could keep your guns and buy a 45 and 32 and probably end up money ahead. but then i do love custom sixguns and own many of them. I wouldnt worry about the scarcity of your 41. you can buy them new today if you want another. If i was just wanting the caliber conversion id probably just buy another gun but if its a full blown custom you want then it makes sense. ive had both the larger framed rugers and the single sixes converted to 5 shot guns. Even had a bearcat converted to 32 mag with a 5 shot cylinder. About anything can be done if you open your walut wide enough

Miles & dollars ahead starting with the caliber you end up with unless you are converting something really different like a bearcat to .38 special or single six to .41 special. Go to this website: http://singleactions.proboards.com/index.cgi (Lloyd is a long time supporter and expert there as well)

Lots and lots and lots of custom sixguns shown from mild to wild. Just an example, here is my .32 H&R single six that started life as a plain stainless with standard grips and non adjustable (just a rear notch in the frame) sights:

Just a couple of pics, but you will note birdshead grip, custom S&W rear sight, custom front sight with gold bead. You probably won't notice a list of small custom touches and can't see the trigger feel... superb. All work done by Houston Gunsmith Alan Harton.

FWIW he also turned my very first Single Six from shotgun pattern spewing a paper weight into a one hole shooting sixgun for not a whole lot of money. It doesn't look any different, but man it sure shoots different!

Boolit Master
    Search: "Skeeter's Last One," Shooting Times. Wouldn't you rather start with a smaller frame .357 3 screw flat top for a custom Ruger? Clements does flat top .357 conversions to .44 Special on the smaller .357 flat top frame like what Skeeter Skelton was working on when he passed on to the great shooting range in the sky. When you start down the trail on custom work, you want to be sure you will be happy with final the destination when you arrive. A Buddy of mine did a 3 screw .357 conversion to .44 Special and he's real happy, it is a very accurate handgun. Personally I'd rather stick with the Colt. Is your .41 a three screw or New Model? I gave my brother the steel Dragoon grip off my SBH for his .41 and he's real happy. I put a steel Old Army grip frame on my SBH and I'm really happy. The .41 is a better performer and is a much more user friendly cartridge than the .45 Colt, but we do love the .45's. Would you bore it out or switch the barrel and cylinder?

Boolit Man
    Markbo...how much work was it to add the sights...have the same gun & due to age...can't see factory "cowboy" sights....Any help would be appreciated!

Check out Gary Reeder's site for some great ideas about hot rodding Rooooogers.

I had Gary do a pair of OMVs several years ago and they came out great. I had him put the "Doc Holiday" grip frames on the guns and it really improved them. They were very distinctive looking, too.

Leave that .41 alone and buy a .45 if that's what you want.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Well I guess the main point is that I'm not interested in having a custom gun made.

I want to work on my own stuff in my shop. Also not going to hot rod much. A 45colt that has a great trigger and is accurate with Ruger loads is more what I want. A single six that is a "real" squirrel gun, 1"at 50yards, in 22 or 32.

I already have a 454 FA and now a 475L BFR. Thats enough big boomers. I shoot 10 times as many 38 specials in my 357.

Don't have much use for a 41 mag. It is a good round, but... I have started to eliminate some of the inbetween calibers. Sold my 338 kept the 30 and 35's The ones with lower availability or higher cost are on the chopping block.

As far as leaving this or that alone and go buy something else is contrary to what I am doing.

Banned

harton put the same sight on my bearcat 32mag and clements put a smith and wesson mod 15 sight on a vaquero for me. I forget alans price but i believe back when clements did it it was 250 bucks and he provided the sight. Im sure it could have gone up since though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie2 View Post
    Markbo...how much work was it to add the sights...have the same gun & due to age...can't see factory "cowboy" sights....Any help would be appreciated!