RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: Universal Clays for 9X18 Makarov?

Universal Clays for 9X18 Makarov?

I have searched and lurked far and wide for any cast boolit load data for my PA-63 using the Lee 95 gr. round nose with Universal Clays. Unique is reported to be similar to Universal Clays, but I am too chicken to substitute the load data directly, much less pull a starting load out of thin air. I checked my reloading manuals for the 380 ACP+10%. I found nothing using Universal . I have 8 lbs. of this powder, want to burn it safely. There are plenty of loads for jacketed bullets, but none for Pb. Does anyone know of documented load data?

If you trust me, yes. I have worked with that exact combination in that exact gun, and find that Universal is a titch faster than Unique in that use. I consider 3.5 gr to be about normal working pressure to warmish. (With Unique, 4.0 is warm to quite warm, as a comparison.)

I used WSP primers and Starline brass, to give you a complete load list. Trimmed 9mm Luger cases may not have the same volume, so drop a few tenths if you are using those.

Thanks, Rocky! I do use trimmed luger brass, 70 of the last 200 Mak cases I shot haven't re-entered the atmosphere yet. (I found your article "Mak Attack" while searching, BTW. Very good piece!) I plan to use Federal primers. Starting with 3 gr. and working up 1/10 at a time watching for pressure signs should be OK?

You darn betcha! I don't think you need to be that reluctant, in fact. Try a few with 3.5 and see if the velocity, recoil and ejection pattern is about the same as factory. If so, you're golden.

Boolit Master

Attached file is a screen shot from Hodgdon's load data center. Use the 90 grain data, just don't get crazy with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mak.jpg  

I don't have any Clays load, but found that 3.2 grains of Bullseye worked great with lead 95 grain plain base loads. Recoil was pretty light in a CZ82.

I stationed a brass catcher net just to the right of my CZ and it caught 90% of the brass just fine.

Boolit Master
    I like the BE too with that load.
    wellfedirishman-
    Can you post a pic of that brass catcher? That is the only bad part of shooting my CZ82 and I hate to trim down 9mm brass.

Joe
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Nugget View Post
    Starting with 3 gr. and working up 1/10 at a time watching for pressure signs should be OK?
    If you're going to be checking the brass for pressure signs you better bring your running shoes!! My PA-63 tosses brass into the next county.

I haven't used Universal in my Mak loads. I have used Bullseye and Unique. Don't recall the loads but I used published data for 380. I assume I could probably go a bit higher but I'm only punching paper. The 380 data works just fine in all my 9MM Makarov pistols.

I strongly encourage you to mark the trimmed 9MM brass so it can be easily separated. Don't make the same dumassed mistake I made and toss everything into your tumbler and polish off the marks.

When shooting off the bench, I just stand an open cardboard box on its side to my right - catches 'em all.

MAK Loads

Great info on the MAK ammo. I've got one of the Bulgarian MAK's in 9x18 and use AA#7 and either hornady's XTP's or Berry's 95 grain Plated TMJ's. Used to have a Chi-com MAK and used a Lee 95 grain Cast LRN with either BE or AA#2. Great little guns. The Russian Ammo from Brown and Silver Bear shoots very well but reloading is the only way to go if you want to stay in the green. I just finished trimming 400 WCC 88 headstamped 9x19 NATO brass to use in the MAK. I got those free, so I think it's a bargin to spend some extra time trimming and deburring the shortened 9x19 brass.