RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Heater calibration

Boolit Man

Heater calibration

Hello the camp! I'm fixing to make some lubes and such with a lowest-price-known-mfr-no-gramatics heat source. How far off would I be if I took a known volume (tomato can, 28 oz) of canola oil up to temp, using a candy thermometer and a thermocouple to reguate sample fill? thxnregards mm
    Malpais Mike

I think you'd be close enough for making lube. When I make lube I like ot start by melting the waxes, break the wax up in a bag with a hammer to make it into small pieces. This will help you get it melting.

I laos find it easier to make lube in something wider than it is tall. It's easier to mix for me and also I think it helps with heating it up.

Boolit Grand Master

If beeswax is overheated, it will ruin it for bullet lube. I make a double boiler up (you can use one large and one medium tin can or do like I do. I use a LARGE Pyrex measuring cup, sit it in a pan of boiling water - VOILA! a double boiler with ability to measure the contents.

When mixing Emmert's home mix black powder and schuetzen lube, I melt the beeswax first. Then, gradually add the other ingredients.

Dale53

Boolit Man
    Much obliged; always glad to see I'm not tilting another windmill. I bought the little burner to do chamber casts in my gunroom (indoor, finally, after 35 yr). Now I need to melt lanolin for Ed's Red and JPW for Recluse's improved tumblelube.
    CT, wider than tall is the way to go. Although I dood it, it's more a function of the pan I had on hand vs conscious effort.
    D53, thanks for the Pyrex idea. I got one, and the pots and pans for canoodling, at the thrift store and Dollar Store. And promptly forgot about it. Amazing how tweaked the better half and her mom get when I use their 'favorite' bowl/pan/turkey baster/whatever.
    Saeco Green is next up, for smokeless lube. I know my Emmert's will work for most, but I want to try to push my .45-70 and .38-55 a bit more. I think I read that it is still a soft lube, but will stiffen with addition of addl parafin--is that the right tack?
    Is anyone but me surprised at how much of a pita you consider your Lyman 4500 after you've used your Star for a couple of months? Downside is cost of size dies.
    Back to the lab...er, shop...er garage. See ya round the campfire. mm
    Malpais Mike

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by malpaismike View Post
    Is anyone but me surprised at how much of a pita you consider your Lyman 4500 after you've used your Star for a couple of months? Downside is cost of size dies. mm
    Surprised at a couple of months yes. It was many years ago but my RCBS lubrisizer saw its last use after the very first bullet went through the Star. The RCBS was soon sold.

Visit Lathesmith right here on this forum for Star dies every bit as or better quality than Magma at less cost.

Here's the link.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member