Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roasting a PIG?

Banned

One thing i learned that was very important to have when i was down south in the service is a couple of jugs of good shine! Have to do something while the pig is cooking. We found it also worked real well in kerosene lamps.

We usually stuffed the pig (200+lbs) with carrots, corn, cabbage, spuds, lots of onions, butter and whatever then sewed it shut. Foil over the snout and legs. We used a rotisserie when available. I have a large syringe for whatever the sop of the day is. Back in my partying days the was usually lots of beer and other alkyhol involved in the sop and the chef! Being a farm boy my setups used a lot of the same stuff as cattleskinner used. One night/day/night in Olive Hill KY we cooked a road kill deer in a scrap pickup bed. It worked out great! Parties seemed to materialize out of thin air when we went to KY for the week!
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Man

Pig Roast

Here are some pictures of a two pig roast that my brothers and I did for a wedding reception back in August. One of the pigs weighted (hanging weight) 200 pounds and the other was 220. The pit is double brick lined about 10 feet long, 3 feet wide and 31/2 feet deep. We burnt about a half of cord of wood in the pit for the bed of coals. The bed of coals was about 12 or so inches deep. A large iron rack was placed over the coals. Each pig was tied to an iron rack and the two racks were placed on the rack at the bottom of the pit. The pigs were about 6 inches above the coals. The insides of the pigs where coated with BBQ sauce and then wrapped in sheets and burlap sacking, all of this was tied together with bailing wire. We put them in the pit at 10 PM. The pit was covered with roofing tin then ¾ inch plywood sheets and then everything was covered with 12 inches of sand. We pulled them out of the pit at 2:30 the next afternoon. The meat was so tender you could just reach in and pull out pieces of meat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 014.jpg   Picture 022.jpg   Picture 025.jpg   Picture 030.jpg   Picture 032.jpg  

Picture 036.jpg   Picture 039.jpg   Picture 042.jpg  

Without sound like too much of an idiot, I would like to ask what is the proper procedure for cleaning/gutting a pig before roasting? Will be my first time to hunt hogs and never really was taught how to clean/prep one

Isn't it also very important to have lots of funny stories to tell about the pigs life at at "pig roast"?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseCJC View Post
    Without sound like too much of an idiot, I would like to ask what is the proper procedure for cleaning/gutting a pig before roasting? Will be my first time to hunt hogs and never really was taught how to clean/prep one
    When I was a kid we had 2 50gallon drums split and welded together, there was a tunnel built under a "Rack" type affair. The drums were filled with water and brought to a boil, hogs were dipped into the boiling water until the hair started to slip. Then they were cranked out onto a table where they were "scraped" with commercial hand scrapers till all the hair was gone. Then they were dipped again into the boiling water and brought out for a final scraping and cleaning.

After this they were as clean as a spanking new baby! They were cranked up swung around and hung to dry. Then cut into the various parts as you see in a butcher chart or in the case of whole roasters split and pulled further down the line.

Sounds simple and it is, IF, one is set up for this type of operation, we were. My Dad was an Engineer and designed the whole set up witch was fairly simple, ONCE you seen how he did it!

OH, forgot to mention, you did all this when it was COLD AS HELL!

Anyway I hope this answered your question.

Boolit Master

I cooked a pig for a party this weekend and here are a couple pics of the guest of honor as well as the cutting crew, and crew benefits, snacking on some of the best cuts.

Bob
    Last edited by Boz330; 05-26-2011 at 10:00 AM.
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

Bob that looks like a pig picking team. If they don't volenteer to help with the hog, as we know the best part is gone. Been ther myself.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master

By the time I get done cooking one and of course snacking during the cutting, I don't want any till the next day. The best meat on the pig is what would be the bacon from the rib area. After you Huck a couple people into trying that, there is no problem getting helpers. Not much of that meat makes it into the pan. UMMMM, UMMMM GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Here's 9 pages of pig roast info. From prepping the pig (they bought theirs) and building a block roaster to cooking and eating! Gotta try it out myself.
    http://cuban-christmas.com/pigroast.html

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Looks easier then digging a hole and cutting alot of wood granted and you dont get the good times doing those things but sometimes you just dont have time. Family members of mine in Texas had pits to cook in and it was some good eating miss those days. But this is a NC grill this is how most do it here some use wood most now use gas. The sauce is the big diff around here nothing like the Texas sauce but still good sometimes we they make it sweet. Oh the pics were taken at a cook off to raise money for the boys club.
    Last edited by RP; 10-11-2010 at 09:09 PM.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Banned

If i remember right from my days in the service down south. One key ingredient to making a good pig roast is a jug of shine to hit on all night while it was cooking!

Thats true but not to shine that leads to a burn or uncooked hog.

Hey Rick, enough shine = perfectly cooked oink!!!

The Dove

Well Dove iam more of a beer drinker and drinking shine like beer dont work to well I know.
    Last edited by RP; 10-15-2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: to much beer did not make sense