Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: win 94 in 44/40

win 94 in 44/40

I'm thinking about getting a win 94 (70's made) in 44/40 I've not had much to do with lever action rifles out of curiousity what sort of dollars would a used but not abused Winchester '94 (not XTR or commeritive) be selling for in the States?
    what speeds could you load a 44/40 too with say a Lyman 427666 50 50 WW PB lubed with Lars Carnauba Red assuming the boolit has a good fit? I would assume the 44/40 would work quite well on pigs and goats? just looking for a fun gun to shoot cast out of for scrub hunting out to say 100y maybe a bit further
    any particular make of brass?

The 44-40 in a 94 would be excellent for what you want. Many modern loading manuals list loads for older BP guns, but do have a few more substantial ones for a stronger action like the 94. The old Lyman used to list a very substantial load for rifles. I had a 44-40 pistol once and had the typical problems of a weak neck area that wanted to collapse if care was not taken. This was with WW brass. Also used a lyman 44 mold. you would also want to check the bore as many were 427 as compared to the modern 429 of the 44 mag and special. No problem with cast but could up pressures with jacketed.

DP

Boolit Grand Master
    There's a Marlin 94 variant in 44-40 WCF calling to me at a local shop. I've been very mature about this for almost two weeks now. Its pricing ($799) is helping that along nicely.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Reposted From Thread Dated 12-28-06:

Many years ago when I only had one center fire revolver & one center fire rifle they were both .44/40s. The revolver was a Colt SAA with a 7 1/2" barrel & the rifle was an "El Tigre" lever action with a 20" barrel. (That's the Spanish copy of the Win. '92 & to say it was cheap is an understatement. The original Win. receiver sight is probably worth more than the rifle). I loaded for the revolver using the Lyman 42798, trying for the original BP velocity of 975 fps. It took 8.5 grains of Unique to do that. Shooting the same loads in the rifle they reached about 1275 fps. I was told by some local experts I was "under gunned." But being the only rifle available at the time, I simply used what I had. The rifle accounted for an awful lot of Whitetail deer in Maryland, Pennsylvania, W. Virginia, Virginia, Michigan & later here in Oklahoma. It is now doing duty, only with the Lyman 427666 bullet cast of WW, with my son down in central Texas, on deer & hogs. I have never told him he is "under gunned." And he wouldn't believe me if I tried to.
    My only suggestion would be to try some of the 427666s & keep the velocity down around 1300 fps. Then shoot it enough to feel confident in your ability.

oksmle

P.S. I still carry the revolver with 5 chambers loaded in my travels, & occasionally use it in our Military Revolver Matches with the above load.

Thanks guys I may be able to get this rifle for around $450 I can get hold of some starline brass as well as the other big American manufactures I'm looking at the NOE mould discussion for a copy of the lyman 427666 I was thinking about getting a hollow point version (if it is offered) would it make much difference?

Boolit Master
    The 44-40 is a fine old cartridge but it does have rather thin brass that goes away fairly fast. I had one for awhile in a Uberti 1873 Winchester clone and it was really a good plinker. However, Today I use a 44 mag for the same purposes for several reasons mostly to do with brass life. The cases are almost identicle to look at until you measure them and the same loads can be loaded in them except the 44 mag can go much hotter with safety.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    There's a Marlin 94 variant in 44-40 WCF calling to me at a local shop. I've been very mature about this for almost two weeks now. Its pricing ($799) is helping that along nicely.
    I have a Marlin .44 Mag , so I personally have no need for a .44-40 .

But , if I did , when I read that price tag , I would not let the door knob hit me in the rear , on my way out !

God bless
    Wyr
    Last edited by WyrTwister; 12-03-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Boolit Master

Smile

Al,

Depending on condition and year mfg, antique Marlins vary in price.
    There is nothing like an ORIGINAL!!!

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The proper bore size for the 44-40 is .427 northmn. The ones made with the larger bores are trying to sell rifles that chamber 44 mag bullets. In fact if you read your history on the 44-40 some of the first made had bores as small as .424. I have two 44-40 rifles and three handguns. Two of the hand guns are made by USFA and the bores are the correct .427 just as the Uberti rifle and other revolver are also. I have no problem loading or losing brass. I use Starline, Winchester and R-P brass. The weakest of the three is the R-P. I have Starline brass that has been loaded 6 times with BP as that is all I shoot and never had a split neck. I have a friend who along with his sons has shot and killed many a Louisiana hog with the BP loads. I load a modified 427098 which is the original bullet by the way. I had Accurate molds make me two three cavity molds with a 210 gr bullet that has wider and deeper lube grooves which is needed for BP. If you load smokless then a load of 8-9 grs of Unique will do well.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    SMLEKid, the 94s in 44/40s were a popular rifle in the Northern Territory until a few years back as they had funny gun laws. You could go into a shop and buy a rifle in 44/40 as it made the velocity ceiling whereas a 44Mag didn't and you needed a special license for anything else,and it was a hassle, so most people just bought a 44/40. The Winchesters were not available in 44/40 at that time, anywhere else as far as I am aware.

The 44/40 is a reaspnable cartridge, but don't be tempted to try and hot rod it or case life will suffer. It makes a good short range pig gun.

The 30/30 Winchester 94 is commonly available in Australia and I feel would be a better hunting arm if you don't have one already. The new Rossi 30/30 is available for about the same price as the second hand Winchesters and would also be a good choice.

Good luck either way.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master
    The example at the local shop is NOT an old-school rifle, but of recent manufacture to service the CAS market. Cross-bolt safety and all. I recall seeing another just like it in 2000 at the gunshop I worked at briefly. It didn't move for 2 months at $449, and stayed motionless at $399 until I resigned.

I guess the makers figure if they hang oversized buckhorn sights on a $300 levergun with a heavy-contour octagon barrel, the 19th Century IPSC crowd will pay a premium for such things. They might--I won't. In 2004, a Marlin 94 CCL in 32/20 crossed my path at a fair price NIB (~$425 OTD), and that one went home with me. Where it remains, and shall remain.

That 94 Marlin in 44/40 won't get a second look from me unless and until its price goes below $500 OTD. I won't pay new-gun price for used rifles, and DARN SURE won't pay a CAS premium for buckhorn sights and octagon barrel. Marlin and this retailer can take their fashion statement pricing and stow it where the sun never shines.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The Rossi made 92 is a stronger action than that of the 94. I have two 44-40's with one being the 92 and the other a Uberti 73. A good friend of mine uses Uberti 66's loaded with BP in 44-40 to kill all the Louisiana pigs you want. A good Rossi 92 such as the ones by EMF, Interarms, Puma may be bought for around $450-$600. The higher end models are worked on like mine is. The action is so slick that the lever may be worked with one finger.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I'm just looking at a fun gun to be used on the odd occasion in close on pigs and goats I have ample other rifles in bigger calibres for more serious and open country use
    I've been toying with the idea of having a dedicated cast boolit rifle that is cheap to feed and will shoot minute of goat (or pig) at 100m the opturtunity has come along for a Winchester M94 that I hopefully can pick up for around $350-$400it looks a little rough but seems to have a nice clean barrle that slugs at .429"
    I saw that NOE were doing a 44/40 Boolit design that caught my eye and knew of the above rifle so that sparked some interest please keep the replies coming it is interesting reading
    Cajun shooter are you reffering to a Win M94 in your post? or a Marlin?
    would it be wothwhile having a hollowpoint mould done? or is the flat boolit a good game stopper as is?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Thats a good price for Australia, you willl always get your money back on that. A 92 or MArlin in 44Mag would be better, but it would be ok.

My friend uses one (a commemorative model) as his pistol calibre cowboy silouette rifle and it works fine.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."